Former 4 Star Grad Transfer QB Jace Ruder Commits to North Texas

TheReal_jayD

First of all I hope that he can play up to his expectations.  But I am befuddled as to how he got such a high rating from the composite.  He came from a small school in Kansas where (I'll take a flyer) their competition was weaker than 80-90% of the high schools in Kansas.  His passing statistics were not very good and surely his receivers were not that poor.  Yet, he received a four-star rating from the average of three rating services.  His career at North Carolina certainly doesn't uphold that high rating.  In three seasons he competed in only six games, completing 7 of 9 passes for about a hundred yards with one touchdown and 0 interceptions.  He is no longer a dual quarterback.  He gained very few running yards and had season-ending injuries in two of those years.  He does seem to have some good basic quarterback tools so hopefully they can be developed to the point that we'd think Mason Fine was a long time ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

8 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

First of all I hope that he can play up to his expectations.  But I am befuddled as to how he got such a high rating from the composite.  He came from a small school in Kansas where (I'll take a flyer) their competition was weaker than 80-90% of the high schools in Kansas.  His passing statistics were not very good and surely his receivers were not that poor.  Yet, he received a four-star rating from the average of three rating services.  His career at North Carolina certainly doesn't uphold that high rating.  In three seasons he competed in only six games, completing 7 of 9 passes for about a hundred yards with one touchdown and 0 interceptions.  He is no longer a dual quarterback.  He gained very few running yards and had season-ending injuries in two of those years.  He does seem to have some good basic quarterback tools so hopefully they can be developed to the point that we'd think Mason Fine was a long time ago.

I think you are missing a couple of things here. The seasons you reference were as a true freshman and RS freshman (which he gets to have again here). The positive way to look at it is that in his true freshman year, they had enough faith in him to bring him in an ACC game that they were trailing and he engineered two scoring drives before his injury.

“Elliott was replaced in the second quarter by freshman Jace Ruder, who led North Carolina to a field goal and a touchdown on two drives before leaving with an injury. Elliott re-entered the game and finished with no touchdowns and three interceptions.”

I think that is something to be optimistic about. I look at his high school numbers and scratch my head a bit as well. But we all know high school stats can be misleading. If high school stats drive rankings, Mason Fine would have been a 4-5 star recruit at Alabama or OU. Something - most likely his size, arm, and athleticism - earned him that rating and nine other P5 schools saw what they needed to see to offer. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I think you are missing a couple of things here. The seasons you reference were as a true freshman and RS freshman (which he gets to have again here). The positive way to look at it is that in his true freshman year, they had enough faith in him to bring him in an ACC game that they were trailing and he engineered two scoring drives before his injury.

“Elliott was replaced in the second quarter by freshman Jace Ruder, who led North Carolina to a field goal and a touchdown on two drives before leaving with an injury. Elliott re-entered the game and finished with no touchdowns and three interceptions.”

I think that is something to be optimistic about. I look at his high school numbers and scratch my head a bit as well. But we all know high school stats can be misleading. If high school stats drive rankings, Mason Fine would have been a 4-5 star recruit at Alabama or OU. Something - most likely his size, arm, and athleticism - earned him that rating and nine other P5 schools saw what they needed to see to offer. 

I know he will not be here for the Spring but with the systems that have been put in place recently he should be able to Zoom in on QB meetings and have a good idea what is going on. Not sure if he will be the Day 1 starter, but I have a feeling he will see action in the first game.

39 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Being able to put himself in position to play and be the guy that early at UNC is very encouraging. That alone has me thinking he will be the guy this season.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, TarHeel said:

There is a lot of misunderstanding in this post.

Many recruits do not earn their rankings for what they do during the course of a HS season. They earn their rankings at camp circuits where recruit analysts get to lay eyes on them. Sure, Jace came from a small Kansas school but he camped in many places to include Nebraska, UNC, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, among many others.

https://www.tallahassee.com/videos/sports/college/fsu/football/2017/06/15/watch-three-star-qb-jace-ruder-fsus-jimbo-fisher-camp/102877470/

Second, his career at UNC has ZERO to do with Jace's potential. Jace committed to Larry Fedora after his successes with Marquise Williams and Mitch Trubisky but Larry had a very old school and outdated approach to playing Freshman that simply has no use in today's CFB when so many Freshmen are coming in prepared both physically and mentally to play from the start. It became the ire of many UNC fans when we knew both Ruder and Fortin were better than Elliott but Fedora kept trotting Elliott out there. Ultimately, it became Fedora's undoing.

When Fedora did finally give Jace his shot that Freshman year, the team was heavily injured and mentally defeated and yet still Jace provided a spark until he took hits he shouldn't have taken. Ultimately both Jace and Fortin ended up with season ending injuries, culminating a year when UNC likely had more season ending injuries than any program in the country. It was criminal how BAD our Strength and Conditioning program and how much more improved Mack made it. You can read a little about that here:

https://www.si.com/college/unc/football/heels-feeling-good-after-camp

None of the stats on paper are an indictment of Jace's ability. He is absolutely still a dual threat. Heck, I proposed among Heel fans that he make the transition from QB to LB like Chazz Surratt did, who after making the switch has played himself into a 2x All-ACC LB and a surefire NFL draft pick this season. They both have nearly an identical frame, athleticism, etc.  

The bigger picture here is that Jace is coming off his healthiest year yet and stands to be the most athletic and physically imposing QB you'll have in that room, at 6-3" nearly 230lbs, with 4.5 40yd speed. 

Jace just had some bad luck in Chapel Hill with a bad Head Coach his first year, 2 season ending broken bones in year 1 & 2, and then Sam Howell coming in and taking the CFB world by storm. Jace is brining a magnificent skillset to Denton and I fully expect he is going to play tremendously.

Welcome and thank you. More sense is always welcome on this board

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

TarHeel, thanks for that detailed explanation.  I had no idea that football camps played a part in all this but it only makes sense.

Yall have a great 2021 season up there in Tar Heel Country. 

Yes! Camps are absolultely a large part of a player's ranking.

That's why the class of 2021 was at such a huge disadvantage and there are so many unranked gems out there (Dillion Williams). Thanks to COVID-19 there simply haven't been the camps or chances for players to be evaluated in person.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Agreed, I also don't fully subscribe to the "small town competition" argument. Just look at some of the towns where players from last years draft came from:

https://www.profootballhof.com/234-high-schools-have-players-selected-in-2020-nfl-draft/

If you have the talent, you will be discovered. Like you said, take high school stats with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, cogido said:

The Jace Ruder QB transfer is a solid move for North Texas.  Some good moves strengthening the program. If Bennett can work some quick magic on the Defensive side I believe good things will be back for UNT.

Glad to see Littrell in the fight.  

I have a feeling that our remaining slots will be filled by defensive players.

1 hour ago, TarHeel said:

There is a lot of misunderstanding in this post.

Many recruits do not earn their rankings for what they do during the course of a HS season. They earn their rankings at camp circuits where recruit analysts get to lay eyes on them. Sure, Jace came from a small Kansas school but he camped in many places to include Nebraska, UNC, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, among many others.

https://www.tallahassee.com/videos/sports/college/fsu/football/2017/06/15/watch-three-star-qb-jace-ruder-fsus-jimbo-fisher-camp/102877470/

Second, his career at UNC has ZERO to do with Jace's potential. Jace committed to Larry Fedora after his successes with Marquise Williams and Mitch Trubisky but Larry had a very old school and outdated approach to playing Freshman that simply has no use in today's CFB when so many Freshmen are coming in prepared both physically and mentally to play from the start. It became the ire of many UNC fans when we knew both Ruder and Fortin were better than Elliott but Fedora kept trotting Elliott out there. Ultimately, it became Fedora's undoing.

When Fedora did finally give Jace his shot that Freshman year, the team was heavily injured and mentally defeated and yet still Jace provided a spark until he took hits he shouldn't have taken. Ultimately both Jace and Fortin ended up with season ending injuries, culminating a year when UNC likely had more season ending injuries than any program in the country. It was criminal how BAD our Strength and Conditioning program and how much more improved Mack made it. You can read a little about that here:

https://www.si.com/college/unc/football/heels-feeling-good-after-camp

None of the stats on paper are an indictment of Jace's ability. He is absolutely still a dual threat. Heck, I proposed among Heel fans that he make the transition from QB to LB like Chazz Surratt did, who after making the switch has played himself into a 2x All-ACC LB and a surefire NFL draft pick this season. They both have nearly an identical frame, athleticism, etc.  

The bigger picture here is that Jace is coming off his healthiest year yet and stands to be the most athletic and physically imposing QB you'll have in that room, at 6-3" nearly 230lbs, with 4.5 40yd speed. 

Jace just had some bad luck in Chapel Hill with a bad Head Coach his first year, 2 season ending broken bones in year 1 & 2, and then Sam Howell coming in and taking the CFB world by storm. Jace is brining a magnificent skillset to Denton and I fully expect he is going to play tremendously.

Is it just me, or does the arguments made about Fedora seem almost identical to the arguments made here about Seth?

• Eye Roll 3

1 minute ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Is it just me, or does the arguments made about Fedora seem almost identical to the arguments made here about Seth?

Having been on the receiving end of both, you can give me Seth any day. Seth made our 2015 team what it was. That offense was potent. Fedora fell apart  on the offensive side of the ball after Seth left and was fired in 3yrs.

For Seth, and nearly any offensive minded coach, I think he needs consistency at QB. If Ruder can take over the starting job, he'll get that for 4 years and I think Seth will take off in Denton.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TarHeel said:

Having been on the receiving end of both, you can give me Seth any day. Seth made our 2015 team what it was. That offense was potent. Fedora fell apart  on the offensive side of the ball after Seth left and was fired in 3yrs.

For Seth, and nearly any offensive minded coach, I think he needs consistency at QB. If Ruder can take over the starting job, he'll get that for 4 years and I think Seth will take off in Denton.

We had this guy as a QB for 4 years, and completely fell apart in his Senior year. 
It's not like Littrell hasn't had the QB he needs.   What we have seen is a drastic drop in offensive effectiveness when the Offensive Coordinator he brought in (Graham Harrell) left for USC... kinda like how Fedora's offense fell off when Littrell left.   The comps are legit.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The comps are legit.

That remains to be seen. When Fedora lost Quise Williams and Trubisky, he couldn't develop another QB. That was his undoing on offense. We were trotting a guy out there who wouldn't start for UNT (Nathan Elliott) because of Fedora's archaic beliefs on playing freshmen. 

If he is another Fedora, he'll blunder this QB opportunity. I just have a gut feeling that he is getting the guy he needs. It's not everyday you land a former 4* grad transfer from a team with Heisman caliber QB room, who has experience yet also has 4yrs of eligibility left. Jace Ruder is a unicorn. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We had this guy as a QB for 4 years, and completely fell apart in his Senior year. 
It's not like Littrell hasn't had the QB he needs.   What we have seen is a drastic drop in offensive effectiveness when the Offensive Coordinator he brought in (Graham Harrell) left for USC... kinda like how Fedora's offense fell off when Littrell left.   The comps are legit.

@MeanGreenTexan Not saying you were a GH basher, but have you noticed that when GH was here there was constant complaining about how he was not a good coach and the success we (Fine) had was in spite of him. Then when GH takes off it became a case of the issues were because he left. Mason was a very, very good QB, but a lot of his numbers were put up when games were out of reach. Sometimes we don't appreciate what we had until it's gone. We hopefully have a more solid O-line and depth than we did before. Let's hope we put together a good O this year and an "average" D. There no way around the fact our OOC schedule is going to be hard; 1-3 is realistic, 2-2 would be great. We need to take care of business in conference play. 

• Confused 1