Former 4 Star Grad Transfer QB Jace Ruder Commits to North Texas

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

I love this.

This has to be a first: a 4-star recruit for 3 years, and he has already had 3 years of getting used to the game.  Not sure I've ever seen that before but, you know, COVID.

So we have discovered one benefit of 'Rona.

38 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Do we know what type of injury he had that allowed him a medical redshirt year?

20 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe it was a broken leg against Appalachian State

In order to get a medical redshirt you need to prove you missed enough of two separate seasons due to injury. Ruder had injuries in 2018 and 2019. 2018 he broke his collarbone against Ga Tech and 2019 had the broken leg that El Paso Eagle mentioned.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Ryan Finley graduated from Boise State then grad transferred to NC State where he was the starter for 3 seasons. Similar to Ruder he had a couple injuries at Boise that allowed him to be granted a 6th season. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-finley-1.html

Plus, hs kids in the honors program can easily test out of most freshman requirements and start as a Sophomore academically. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I rather have a four star lb or dl or cb

ok looks like a record number of down votes.  We rank high in offense last year and it was defense that got a killed over and over.  I still rather have a 4 star on defense.   Wonder how many qb will hit the portal now?   Well hope Bean can find a home because he won't be coming back to Mean Green.

I agree, but you should never turn down an opportunity to get a 4 star talent, especially at QB.  Hopefully we can still get that DL and LB positions with some strong upside taken care of soon.

15 hours ago, denton_days said:

damn this is a real trade up from what we got rid of. Looking at the Tar Heels forums, they seemed to really like him, they just had two other all-star qb's, and Ruder had some injuries. Let's hope he can stay healthy for us.

Thats also just typical Carolina fans who are passionate about their football as they remind me much of Texas.

14 hours ago, TarHeel said:

Tar Heel Fan here!

I love this move for Jace and for UNT. We always appreciate what Seth did for our offense in ‘14-‘15 and picking up Jace will be a huge compliment to the UNT program. Jace flashed a very good skill set before getting injured and contrary to popular belief, he’s not as injury prone as you’d believe as he’s had zero non-contact injuries. He just needs to learn when not to take hits. 

You guys are getting a really good one. He has a cannon for an arm, he’s mobile, he’s big. He’s also had the opportunity to learn from an offense that was one of the best in CFB and will have a preseason Heisman favorite in Sam Howell. Jace will be polished and ready to start from day 1, guaranteed. 

I wish him and you guys nothing but success!

Thanks for the info.  I know Jace is gonna learn even more from one of the best offensive minds from Seth, who BTW was once the OC at NC.  It looks like a perfect fit for both to be together.

8 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

In my opinion, this is a great use of the transfer portal. Thank you, Seth. This is the kind of move many of us on this board have been asking for. We still have slots available in this class. I hope we see more additions of this caliber in the near future. These are the types of moves that will get the fan base excited and eager to buy season tickets. Again, Thank you Littrell!

Well said!!  The party is just getting started and its a great time to be a Mean Green fan!!  

1 hour ago, TarHeel said:

I alluded to this earlier. All of his injuries were in game contact injuries. He's a big, strong guy and had to learn the hard way that he can't try to deliver/take hits that he did in HS. He's not injury prone, he just needs to NOT be the physical player he once was. He has everything you could want in a QB: Tall, strong frame. Very strong arm. Great runner. Very smart as shown in graduating from the UNC Kenan Flagler Business School (one of the most prestigious in the nation) in 3 years. He has it all, along with quality experience learning under Phil Longo and Sam Howell. 

I didn’t say he was injury prone. I was just explaining how he qualified for the medical redshirt.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

My face when Ruder pulls up to campus in a gold trans am

Thanks, made me laugh with an old memory. My brother went to A&M and we used to joke how they had more brand new Trans Am's in the Athletic dorm parking lot than any dealership in Texas. He would say how you could always tell when the NCAA compliance officers were coming by since they would make all of the athletes moves there cars the night before. The parking lot would be basically empty.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I didn’t say he was injury prone. I was just explaining how he qualified for the medical redshirt.

I wasn't referencing you or anyone in particular, just the notion that "he can't stay healthy". He's never had those nagging injuries that come with overuse, non-contact, etc. My apologies if it felt like a call out.

Edited by TarHeel
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Same here.

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Not to worry. After reading about this transfer on another news outlet the term "injury prone ?" certainly popped up in my head. It might be unfair, but since the Todd Dodge days just about every QB playing for NT has had to run for his life. So, if you are the least bit "injury prone", you are going to have a hard time playing a full season here.

How about this for a new rule. For every 3 star QB we bring in we have to bring in two 3 star O-linemen.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 2/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, southsideguy said:

ok looks like a record number of down votes.  We rank high in offense last year and it was defense that got a killed over and over.  I still rather have a 4 star on defense.   Wonder how many qb will hit the portal now?   Well hope Bean can find a home because he won't be coming back to Mean Green.

I get it, but if you have the chance to get a highly recruited transfer, especially one with three years of eligibility, you take it.