Update to Coaching Staff addtions

TheReal_jayD

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So you are saying coaches have never switched sides of the ball? It happens early on in careers which is where this guy is.

I’m not saying that. I’m saying just because he played/ worked with the oline doesn’t mean he can coach d line. It’s much more than knowing what pass rush moves d lineman use. D/O line coaches are usually in a family of their own. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So you are saying coaches have never switched sides of the ball? It happens early on in careers which is where this guy is.

Of course it happens. I just don’t want us to be the place to experiment. I think we can afford better.
I do think he has some defensive coaching experience but the optics of hiring his son-in-law instead of an experienced Dline coach are not good. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

This is a major disappointment.   This has to be as unimpressive trio of hires that any school could make. 

Why would Wren ok this?

I don’t know but at the end of the season

seth is an oc at a P5 making more money PB has gotten 400k and given the newlyweds a 150k job and a D1 position title for his resume and we go back to square one 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

...the optics of hiring his son-in-law instead of an experienced Dline coach are not good. 

This is the biggest thing for me.  The guy may end up being the best dline coach UNT has ever had, but right now it doesn’t look good.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Have a hard time believing PB would come back at this time and place and not have something "riding" on it. From everything he has said he had other offers but came to UNT because of his relationship with Seth. Have a hard time thinking he would make moves he thought could hurt Seth. 

What affect on his career does this job have?   Is he gonna start climbing the ladder again?   Does he need to worry about his family if he gets fired?
"Wanting to help Littrell" is a fine motivator to come off the sidelines, and of course he's not going to do anything to purposefully torpedo Littrell.   But with no skin in the game, and having the leverage in the situation (being that he doesn't need this job, but Littrell needs him), he can prioritize things like getting his Son-in-Law a job to help support his daughter.

Like some have said, Passwaters may be a fantastic DL coach on his way up in the world, but man... bad optics right now.   I hope Passwaters has the opportunity to coach Novil, McCrae, Murphy & Murphy, etc...

12 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

I almost included him in my original post as the exception but look at his record there . . . Over Rated! 0-12, 4-8, 4-9, 3-9 

He was innovative prior to NMSU, but my point is you are at NMSU for a reason and it ain't good.

As a general rule, I assume most tenures don’t work out in Las Cruces because of the lack of resources and the geography of that area. Not necessarily because the staff sucks at what they do.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

As a general rule, I assume most tenures don’t work out in Las Cruces because of the lack of resources and the geography of that area. Not necessarily because the staff sucks at what they do.

They do seem to focus their support on BB and Baseball. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

One day later and I am still trying to understand this hire for DL. Maybe he comes in and kicks ass, but for now this make absolutely no sense. This must have been on of the conditions PB spoke about. 

I think in the day to day coaching in practice he’ll be fine. My concern is in the fire during a game how will he be with adjustments, etc....

On 2/1/2021 at 10:49 AM, greenminer said:

Yes.  Sam Bennett.  Todd Graham is the HC at Hawaii.  All three (Graham and both Bennetts) worked together at ASU in 2017.

Total guess here, but maybe Sam and/or Todd gave PB a call and recommended Passwaters.  I can't find any previous coaching connection between Passwaters and PB.

Here's your connection.  https://www.zola.com/wedding/matthewandmadeline20

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, manny777 said:

Not only ick for nepotism but also this is ick:

Maddie was swiping in Phoenix, Matthew was "pre-swiping" in Las Cruces (but upgraded to TinderPlus to "place" himself in Phoenix) and they both Swiped Right. Sparks did not exactly fly after the first few conversations, but then Maddie spotted Matthew on the sidelines before his team (New Mexico State University) played her Dad and Brother's team (Arizona State University), and after a short but sweet, in-person, conversation..the rest was h i s t o r y !

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 2/1/2021 at 11:23 PM, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

Guess we’ll have to assume Phil Bennett will oversee the D Line duties...?  Interesting to say the least.

I think that you are right.  Phil will coach safeties but as Defensive Coordinator he has responsibility for the entire defense.  I think that he will mentor his son-in-law to be and help him to succeed.  Passwater's only experience on the defensive side of the ball was as a GA.  It is definitely abnormal for a coach to move that high immediately.  But, due to the unique circumstances, this just might work.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1