Update to Coaching Staff addtions

TheReal_jayD

9 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

It’s his son in law

This must have been a stipulation for Bennett to come on board.   I highly doubt Littrell chooses him over other DL coaching candidates... heck, even Mathies.

Littrell has fully-hitched himself onto Bennett's wagon.   Littrell goes where Bennett takes our defense.   I hope this is not breaking news to our defensive linemen.  Otherwise, keep an eye on the portal...

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Cheese and rice! Of all the defensive line coaches out there, We go an hire Bennett’s son in law. Who’s an Offensive analyst on an island state. Resume looks like he’s never entered a high school much less recruited anyone. What a freaking blevitt!

This country club nepotism bull shit is going to blow up in their faces. What a freaking joke.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Littrell has fully-hitched himself onto Bennett's wagon.   Littrell goes where Bennett takes our defense.   I hope this is not breaking news to our defensive linemen.  Otherwise, keep an eye on the portal...

based on his interview he did, it seems like the plan is just to hand the defensive keys over to Bennett. He has a lot of trust in him. I'm going to remain optimistic about these hires, although am skeptical.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This must have been a stipulation for Bennett to come on board.   I highly doubt Littrell chooses him over other DL coaching candidates... heck, even Mathies.

Even looking at Seth's comment, something is off. I wish him the best but this one is a head scratcher 

Joseph - “I am very happy to have the opportunity to add a bright and young offensive mind like [Joseph] to our staff,” head coach Seth Littrell said. “He’s done a great job developing his quarterbacks over the years, and certainly has great playing experience to share with our talented quarterback room. I’m very excited to welcome him to our family here in Denton.”

Holley - “Bringing a coach with the coaching and playing experience of [Holley] to the program is something I’m very excited about,” Littrell said. “He has familiarity and experience with [defensive coordinator Phil Bennett’s] scheme, having played for him at Pittsburgh and coaching together at Arizona State.”

Passwaters - “[Passwaters] is going to bring great energy to our defensive staff,” Littrell said. “I can’t wait for him to get here to Denton and join our family.”

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Even looking at Seth's comment, something is off. I wish him the best but this one is a head scratcher 

Joseph - “I am very happy to have the opportunity to add a bright and young offensive mind like [Joseph] to our staff,” head coach Seth Littrell said. “He’s done a great job developing his quarterbacks over the years, and certainly has great playing experience to share with our talented quarterback room. I’m very excited to welcome him to our family here in Denton.”

Holley - “Bringing a coach with the coaching and playing experience of [Holley] to the program is something I’m very excited about,” Littrell said. “He has familiarity and experience with [defensive coordinator Phil Bennett’s] scheme, having played for him at Pittsburgh and coaching together at Arizona State.”

Passwaters - “[Passwaters] is going to bring great energy to our defensive staff,” Littrell said. “I can’t wait for him to get here to Denton and join our family.”

I noticed the same...

It’s a slap in the face to a young man like Novil. Why would he stay? Why would any talented kid feel the need to come to Denton where you can coach your position coach. These big hosses wanna go to the league, now who’s gonna prepare them. I can get over the nepotism but hiring someone that doesn’t coach the position or that has a clue about going into a kids living room and recruiting is unacceptable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

hiring family that is not obviously qualified is a baad move. Very concerning. Doesn't speak of a good culture

Not defending the move but Passwaters went from GA to Quality Control coach to now a position coach. That, preceded by a D1 playing career, is the standard path to becoming a D1 position coach. When Littrell was hired, his first receiver coach was Joel Filani, who was also coming off of his one and only season as a QC Coach at Washington State, and was a grad assistant prior to that. 

I completely get the frustration at him being an in-law, and I definitely agree that more qualified candidates exist, but going from a QC Coach to a position coach is how it works. Having a QC title means you are qualified to try and make that jump to position coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not defending the move but Passwaters went from GA to Quality Control coach to now a position coach. That, preceded by a D1 playing career, is the standard path to becoming a D1 position coach. When Littrell was hired, his first receiver coach was Joel Filani, who was also coming off of his one and only season as a QC Coach at Washington State, and was a grad assistant prior to that. 

I completely get the frustration at him being an in-law, and I definitely agree that more qualified candidates exist, but going from a QC Coach to a position coach is how it works. Having a QC title means you are qualified to try and make that jump to position coach.

Passwater last job was offensive quality control . You can’t compare the two . Filani was a QC coach that coached the position he played in the system he played in then became a full time coach in that system. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Marty said:

Technically not yet, wedding isn't until May.

https://www.zola.com/wedding/matthewandmadeline20

I'm sure Bennett knows more than we do, but the optics on this looks horrible. Looks like he's trying to give his under qualified future son in law a nice pay raise to pay for his and his daughter's wedding. Joke, absolute joke. I hope I'm wrong

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Seems like PB wanted people he is familiar with and who he wanted to be here with him. If this was one of his "conditions" then Seth, Wren, and those above bought on on it.  Hell, I'm confused by this but maybe we should wait at least until Spring Ball and see how he looks. PB and Seth know how much is riding on this. As the saying goes, although for the Mean Green fans it's hard - Trust the Process!

• Upvote 1

I’m honestly excited for Phil Bennett joining Littrell’s staff.  We’ve just not had his pedigree as a coordinator hired since I started following this football program post-Indian wars.  PB seems almost like a kid on Christmas Eve getting ready for the big day.  

Bennett seems to have many friends & supporters in the Great Southwest with recruiting contacts galore & at his age (not considered old by today’s standards) he seems ready to get the job done, instead of being outta’ here on the first plane out of Denton International Airport.😲

We really do have something to look forward to up in Mean Green Country.  •••Should be fun to watch a 41,000 enrollment Texas university start spreading its wings.
Top 25 rankings, bowl wins & record-breaking attendance at Apogee Stadium I believe can be attainable because of SL’s high flying offense & a “D” that will be able to dominate some games.

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreenGang45 said:

Passwater last job was offensive quality control . You can’t compare the two . Filani was a QC coach that coached the position he played in the system he played in then became a full time coach in that system. 

Passwaters was a QC coach working with the Oline. Who has to know Dlinemen the best? The man on the other side trying to beat him. I have faith in both Passwaters and Bennett. All Olinemwnr know the basic swim/rip etc. techniques. Bennett can help him with the verbiage on the stunts and blitzes. He is already familiar with all these things having to both block and teach his guys to block against it. He just needs to learn the dline play calls and teach his new dlinemen how he would beat the offensive linemen he has spent years being and training. Y’all are acting like he went from receivers coach to Dline and that isn’t close to what happened here.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Seems like PB wanted people he is familiar with and who he wanted to be here with him. If this was one of his "conditions" then Seth, Wren, and those above bought on on it.  Hell, I'm confused by this but maybe we should wait at least until Spring Ball and see how he looks. PB and Seth know how much is riding on this. As the saying goes, although for the Mean Green fans it's hard - Trust the Process!

Bennett has nothing riding on this.   Nothing at all.   Littrell fails & gets canned?  Bennett goes right back to woodworking or whatever else he was doing in retirement.  No skin off his back & Hey! Another $400-500K in the bank to boot!

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Bennett has nothing riding on this.   Nothing at all.   Littrell fails & gets canned?  Bennett goes right back to woodworking or whatever else he was doing in retirement.  No skin off his back & Hey! Another $400-500K in the bank to boot!

Exactly 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Passwaters was a QC coach working with the Oline. Who has to know Dlinemen the best? The man on the other side trying to beat him. I have faith in both Passwaters and Bennett. All Olinemwnr know the basic swim/rip etc. techniques. Bennett can help him with the verbiage on the stunts and blitzes. He is already familiar with all these things having to both block and teach his guys to block against it. He just needs to learn the dline play calls and teach his new dlinemen how he would beat the offensive linemen he has spent years being and training. Y’all are acting like he went from receivers coach to Dline and that isn’t close to what happened here.

😂 coaching doesn’t work like that but ok. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Have a hard time believing PB would come back at this time and place and not have something "riding" on it. From everything he has said he had other offers but came to UNT because of his relationship with Seth. Have a hard time thinking he would make moves he thought could hurt Seth. 

• Upvote 4