🎊🎉HAPPY JUNETEENTH! 2 Reasons UNT’s All American—KC Chiefs Great & Texas Colleges Integration Pioneer Deserves A Statue At Fabulous Apogee Stadium.

PlummMeanGreen

I realize that Leon King did not have an easy time of it but without Abner there would be no statue.  Abner is the one with the accomplishments.  Both were the victims of Jim Crow times but Abner had more abuse on the field because he was so good.  Some of the games were reminiscent of the guards in The Longest Yard with the eye-gouging, hitting after the whistle, piling on etc.  Abner has been perhaps the greatest ambassador for North Texas of all of our graduates and I heartily support a statue of him on the student side of Apogee.  Then I move that the nominations cease.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I realize that Leon King did not have an easy time of it but without Abner there would be no statue.  Abner is the one with the accomplishments.  Both were the victims of Jim Crow times but Abner had more abuse on the field because he was so good.  Some of the games were reminiscent of the guards in The Longest Yard with the eye-gouging, hitting after the whistle, piling on etc.  Abner has been perhaps the greatest ambassador for North Texas of all of our graduates and I heartily support a statue of him on the student side of Apogee.  Then I move that the nominations cease.

Amen, brother Jack.👍👍

Were you at that MG Club meeting in the 70’s at the downtown Dallas One Main Place? That meeting when Abner & Ron Shanklin were  sitting on the fancy sofa during much of that get-together?  
(Funny that Shank’ always called Abner “Father Time” whch ol’ #28 always got a big kick out of).

Some of you have heard or read about this story but...at that meeting Abner was asked about the Jim Crowe era when he & Leon King integrated Texas intercollegiate sports at a traditional white Texas university.
Abner proceeded to tell a group hanging around him & Ron Shanklin about when our team took a train down to Houston to play the UH Coogs.  Long story  short—the Hotel management told UNT coaches that Abner & Leon could not stay in the hotel. That announcement made the white players very mad so they told the UNT coaches to pass it onto hotel management they would sleep on the train with Abner & Leon that night—& they did.  (Some call that doing the right thing).

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

I wish there was film (converted to YouTube video) of Abner Haynes when he was at North Texas.  That would be so cool.  Some of you, uh, oldtimers🙄have told me he was something special.
•••Back in the 70’s I was listening to KRLD1080 on their Sports Central Show with Al Wisk who one evening had Abner on his show.  A caller called in who had seen Abner play in the 1959 Sun Bowl.  He went on & on with “Father Time” (as Shank called #28) about how he’d never seen such speed & elusiveness. You could just see Abner blushing thru the radio with his (always) humility.  Gosh I hope he gets a statue before he passes. 

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 11:13 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

should add that African-American Dr. Leon King entered the 1956 UNT Mean Green freshman class with Abner.

••• Late Kansas City Chiefs owner, ie, 🔹SMU🔺alum Lamar Hunt called Abner Haynes “the American Football Leagues first superstar.” If you ever saw him play back then—you would agree.  (Mr. Hunt’s  widow, Norma, is a UNT grad).

Some on GMG have made mention many times thru the years that a statue for Abner should happen while he is still with us.  ❇️ Well, ain’t it time?🤔
➡️••• A great article below about Abner, Leon & their white UNT teammates in the era of Jim Crowe. 
••• Abner has told many of us on GMG the story about he & Leon King’s experience on a train when it pulled into Houston for UNT’s game with the Coogs.  Heart-warming but sad (& typical) of the JIm Crowe era in the South.  

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article243796387.html

22DB1CCC-64F9-404A-8907-9D0D546BC132.jpeg.ac3fb608f0195e9a504b7df138a9dc05.jpeg

🦅❇️🦅

Wonder how AD Wren Baker is coming along with this statue project?  
He previously said he was on it—I believe him. 

• Upvote 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to 🎊🎉HAPPY JUNETEENTH! 2 Reasons UNT’s All American—KC Chiefs Great & Texas Colleges Integration Pioneer Deserves A Statue At Fabulous Apogee Stadium.