🎊🎉HAPPY JUNETEENTH! 2 Reasons UNT’s All American—KC Chiefs Great & Texas Colleges Integration Pioneer Deserves A Statue At Fabulous Apogee Stadium.

PlummMeanGreen

33 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Of course, I’m talking about many of us on GMG’s friend & acquaintance—one Abner Haynes. I should add that African-American Dr. Leon King entered the 1956 UNT Mean Green freshman class with Abner.

••• Late Kansas City Chiefs owner (& SMU alum) Lamar Hunt called Abner Haynes “the American Football Leagues first superstar.” If you ever saw him play back then—you would agree.  (Mr. Hunt’s  widow, Norma, is a UNT alum).

Some of you on GMG have made mention many times thru the years that a statue for Abner should happen while he is still with us.   

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article243796387.html

🦅❇️🦅

While agree that this would be nice, will it start to be too much is the question I would have? We already have a Joe Greene statue. If we add a Haynes statue, will people start to request more statues and then it become a cluster? Maybe we can build a HOF Building and put busts of our superstars in there along with pictures, there stories, their jerseys etc. I am by no means against a statue of Haynes because he was great and was a pioneer. I just wonder if it will stop there or will we keep going until it becomes too much.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

The historical aspects of Haynes & King’s integration at North Texas & the first 2 blacks to do so for Texas colleges football would be the clincher for a statue, but the think tank on campus would I’m sure figure all this out. Of late, they are on a pretty good run of doing so. 

If this UNT bucket list item happened I’d hope they’d entertain the idea of putting such a statue on the UNT Student Side.  That might be the ideal spot since this is all about being a very educational thing for UNT students who have no idea of this story.  Even a single statue of both Haynes & King together would be nice &...very cool.  

🦅I’d always heard Lamar Hunt signed Abner in the south end zone at Fouts, but have no idea if that’s true or just an urban tale.  

🦅In 1959 Abner Haynes made the  1st team Time Magazine All America football team.
••• Time magazine was the premier All America team in which to receive a selection in that era. 

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

While agree that this would be nice, will it start to be too much is the question I would have? We already have a Joe Greene statue. If we add a Haynes statue, will people start to request more statues and then it become a cluster? Maybe we can build a HOF Building and put busts of our superstars in there along with pictures, there stories, their jerseys etc. I am by no means against a statue of Haynes because he was great and was a pioneer. I just wonder if it will stop there or will we keep going until it becomes too much.

Who else?  After Greene and Haynes there's not a UNT player who's had as much historical success at college and in the pros. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Those statues are very expensive, I don't see overcrowding as a problem.

The Haynes/King story is much more important than any one NT player including Joe Greene.  

IMO, NT has not done enough to to tell the story of football integration which occurred almost ten years before the much more celebrated SMU recruitment of Levias. 

AMEN!

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Those statues are very expensive, I don't see overcrowding as a problem.

The Haynes/King story is much more important than any one NT player including Joe Greene.  

IMO, NT has not done enough to to tell the story of football integration which occurred almost ten years before the much more celebrated SMU recruitment of Levias. 

I’ve read somewhere (his bio?) what then SMU HFC Hayden Fry said about some doggone’ scary stuff concerning 🔺SMU🔹 great Jerry Levias & all the death threats to him even from Southwest Conference schools, specifically TCU. 
🦅❇️🦅

Abner Haynes receives Presidential Medal of Honor Award

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Who else?  After Greene and Haynes there's not a UNT player who's had as much historical success at college and in the pros. 

I agree with you 100%. My post was in no way saying don't do it. I think that it is long overdue. I just always wonder will people start asking for more and more. At some point you will have to say no. There will always be someone who won't be satisfied. I think Haynes deserved a statue before Joe Greene. Don't get me wrong, Joe Greene may have been the best football player we have had, but that will always be a matter of opinion. Haynes broke down barriers and paved the way for guys like Greene to have the success that he had. Haynes certainly deserves a statue. I also agree with someone else here that stated it should be on the student side and used as an educational tool. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

I know Haynes garnered more attention for his accomplishments on the field, but to me, if there is a statue, it should be of Haynes and King.  Although King didn't have the career that Haynes experienced, he deserves the recognition for breaking barriers with Haynes and should not be diminished.

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I know Haynes garnered more attention for his accomplishments on the field, but to me, if there is a statue, it should be of Haynes and King.  Although King didn't have the career that Haynes experienced, he deserves the recognition for breaking barriers with Haynes and should not be diminished.

Agree 110%.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I get what you are saying but Haynes did have a stellar career and that would alone be worthy of a statue. 

• Upvote 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to 🏈Abner Haynes: 2 Reasons UNT’s All American—KC Chiefs Great & Texas Colleges Integration Pioneer Deserves A Statue At Fabulous Apogee Stadium.

I'm in for a statue for Abner Haynes.  A donation from the Hunt family would be wonderful, but I would not want them or any one family or corporation to fund the statue 100%.  To me it is important that we all have a chance to show our appreciation for the contributions that Abner made, which is the same way I felt about our fabulous Joe Greene statue.  Fly Like An Eagle!

Abner Haynes.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eagle71 said:

I'm in for a statue for Abner Haynes.  A donation from the Hunt family would be wonderful, but I would not want them or any one family or corporation to fund the statue 100%.  To me it is important that we all have a chance to show our appreciation for the contributions that Abner made, which is the same way I felt about our fabulous Joe Greene statue.  Fly Like An Eagle!

Abner Haynes.jpg

Totally agree. I'm in for a contribution. Also, I find it interesting that the Dallas Texans trading card had Abner in his North Texas uniform.

See the source image

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Totally agree. I'm in for a contribution. Also, I find it interesting that the Dallas Texans trading card had Abner in his North Texas uniform.

See the source image

If it was his rookie card then most, at least since the late 90s are that way bc they are released before the season starts. I used to collect them and I have several Randy Moss cards with him in his Marshall uniform. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Further, our own Plummeangreen and actor Christopher Plummer are not related.  Small world.

Hold the board, greenjoe. 😊

There is a chance Captain Von Trapp  may be related since my Grt-Grt Grandpappy spent some time in Canada 🇨🇦.  I’m still researching it thru Ancestry & will next try to get Christopher’s family tree & check all its branches. (Not really much else to do during a 1 year pandemic, right)?

Since you are a favorite son of Denton & in it’s music scene—did you know Sly Stone? 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:13 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

should add that African-American Dr. Leon King entered the 1956 UNT Mean Green freshman class with Abner.

••• Late Kansas City Chiefs owner, ie, 🔹SMU🔺alum Lamar Hunt called Abner Haynes “the American Football Leagues first superstar.” If you ever saw him play back then—you would agree.  (Mr. Hunt’s  widow, Norma, is a UNT grad).

Some on GMG have made mention many times thru the years that a statue for Abner should happen while he is still with us.  ❇️ Well, ain’t it time?🤔
➡️••• A great article below about Abner, Leon & their white UNT teammates in the era of Jim Crowe. 
••• Abner has told many of us on GMG the story about he & Leon King’s experience on a train when it pulled into Houston for UNT’s game with the Coogs.  Heart-warming but sad (& typical) of the JIm Crowe era in the South.  

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article243796387.html

22DB1CCC-64F9-404A-8907-9D0D546BC132.jpeg.ac3fb608f0195e9a504b7df138a9dc05.jpeg

🦅❇️🦅

It is past time to honor both of these UNT greats. I have some ideas that could acknowledge both men in a fitting way. Maybe I will email Wren tomorrow.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone else seeing this on Plum’s posts? 

Is it possible he has been some sort of prototype Russian social media bot this entire time and we are only now discovering it? 

(Sure would explain some of his posts...) 🤣😉

93C34CFE-C337-4669-A2DC-7A915DDDFCD8.jpeg

• Haha 1