DRC: UNT's NCAA financial report paints promising picture of how school is dealing with pandemic

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Even if that is the case, we have benefitted from the job Baker has done. 

100%. I think overall many G5 ADs were in a better position as they have had to deal with tight budgets. At the very beginning of the season there were many stories about P5 schools having to take out massive loans. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I wish he'd do a terrible job so no one would ever hire him away.  Oh, wait... That describes North Texas history to a T.

Actually the story of all G5 programs. If your coaches and AD do well they will probably be hired away. But better to have them move on for good things than have to get rid of them cause things are bad. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DentonLurker said:

I'm not saying I'm not impressed that it's not worse than it is, but do you really get to claim a surplus if student fees and CARES Act money is what makes your budget whole?

Yes. You have a budget. You have you streams of income (like other programs). Did you manage it well under the conditions faced - Yes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Yes. You have a budget. You have you streams of income (like other programs). Did you manage it well under the conditions faced - Yes. 

Most of his income streams are more fixed because we don't sell a ton of tickets so the variable pieces didn't really hit us as hard as they might at like a big 10 school with no football. I think he did a good job, but I don't know that these sort of victory lap articles are the best look right now.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Most of his income streams are more fixed because we don't sell a ton of tickets so the variable pieces didn't really hit us as hard as they might at like a big 10 school with no football. I think he did a good job, but I don't know that these sort of victory lap articles are the best look right now.

I guess I just try to look for the positives in the program. If it had been reported that we were in bad shape people would have been yelling and complaining he didn't have control and the salaries were killing us. 

• Upvote 6

You can't keep success (or failure) hidden under a rock.  Every public school must submit a report to the Department of Education with Title IX information.  That includes total revenue and expenses.  It especially includes the amount spent on women's sports vs. men's sports.  I didn't think that we'd do very well this time but last year we had a surplus of over a million dollars.  There are two primary reasons for this...donors and the student athletic fee.  Of course, it takes a sharp Athletic Director to manage those funds efficiently.  The DOE Title IX Report covers September through August.  It's certainly possible that the surplus may not cover the cost of spring sports.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, xyresic said:

Can’t lose money if you don’t make any money anyway! 
Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, xyresic said:

Wren should get credit and a high five for a job well done on this one.  We are quick enough to butt kick when the program has a problem.  I’ve seen many solid businesses get surprised with “Going Concern audit findings” because they took it for granted that a balanced budget would always stay that way.  Not so !   Good job on this one Wren - Keep It Movin’ .

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1