Bought a Tesla (the car, not the stock)

I don't mean for this to come across as bragging in any way shape or form. I saw the new truck purchase thread and thought the forum could use more car talk. I bought a new model Y a month ago (less $ than what a lot of people on here drive). Figured I'd post this given:

1. GMG is painfully slow these days

2. Open myself up in case anyone had questions about owning/driving one, whether they're considering buying one or not.

3. Find out who else is driving a Tesla on here.

No Mean Green badges or plate frames on the car just yet, but they're comin'.

Tesla.jpg

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, MDH said:

I don't mean for this to come across as bragging in any way shape or form. I saw the new truck purchase thread and thought the forum could use more car talk. I bought a new model Y a month ago (less $ than what a lot of people on here drive). Figured I'd post this given:

2. Open myself up in case anyone had questions about owning/driving one, whether they're considering buying one or not.

Tesla.jpg

Would like to look into one after some big purchases are out of the way in this next year. Is a Model T or Model Y preferred? Any big differences between the 2 other than the size?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The Tesla dealership in West El Paso is a small building . Goes to show when you have a product people want you don't have to have a giant showroom.

@MDH How has it drove?

I've mostly driven German cars, one American SUV (Jeep) and one Japanese SUV (MDX) up to this point. It's hands down the fastest car I've ever driven but it differs from my other performance model cars I've owned (BMW Ms) in that the performance is only there when you want it and is otherwise a very smooth dive. The biggest thing to get used to is essentially never using the brake pedal as you learn to slow down using regenerative braking (removing foot from accelerator). The model Y suspension is on the firmer side and the upgraded 20" wheels aren't helping that with the diminished sidewall.

The sales experience is very different from the traditional model. After I returned from my test drive I was only in the store another 10 minutes or so and I was done - all the rest of the paperwork and financing is self-driven (pun intended) online/via-app. I hadn't intended to buy it and only went looking as the MDX had blown front suspension, was an Acura only part, was on 6+ month backorder, and was pricey to repair. I was instantly hooked once in the drivers seat. As one might imagine, it's all the tech integration and safety features that really set it apart. The model Y (& 3) are very minimalist and seem overall to be so much simpler. Having all my controls at my fingertips on the center screen, most of which I can control by voice, is very nice to the techy savvy. Could my 82 year old dad drive it? Sure. Would he be confused and use all the features on the car? I doubt it. I purchased the full self driving option (only available on highways right now) and it takes some getting used to, but I enjoy it. I'm still engaged (they force you to keep hands on steering wheel and will turn if off if they don't feel you moving it every so often), but it's much more relaxing.

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Would like to look into one after some big purchases are out of the way in this next year. Is a Model T or Model Y preferred? Any big differences between the 2 other than the size?

I assume you mean the model 3? If so, they're substantially the same. I like sitting higher and wanted the extra interior storage (a little longer and wider) so opted for the Y. I've not driven a Model S (big sedan) or X (big SUV) and have only sat in them in the showroom. I'll say the S&X are much higher end feeling from a fit and finish perspective. I just don't have the need or space for that large of a car at this time.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MDH said:

Tesla.jpg

Awesome purchase.  Proud of you man!

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MDH said:

Tesla.jpg

Also I forgot to ask how does it handle?

• Upvote 1

I really looked hard at electric cars for lease this last time around (May 2019), but, at least at the time, it felt like they're not worth the extra cost unless you drive quite a bit. I've put on about 6500 miles in a little over a year and a half, so I'm not in that group. Some of the new models from major manufacturers are starting to look pretty great. The Mustang Mach-E seems like the first serious competitor to Tesla. Kia is supposed to roll out some new EV this year and next.

Do you drive a lot? Have you calculated savings, if any? Also congrats on the new car.

2 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I really looked hard at electric cars for lease this last time around (May 2019), but, at least at the time, it felt like they're not worth the extra cost unless you drive quite a bit. I've put on about 6500 miles in a little over a year and a half, so I'm not in that group. Some of the new models from major manufacturers are starting to look pretty great. The Mustang Mach-E seems like the first serious competitor to Tesla. Kia is supposed to roll out some new EV this year and next.

Do you drive a lot? Have you calculated savings, if any? Also congrats on the new car.

Teslas and EVs are still unlikely to pencil out from a pure economic cost savings perspective - for now, and it's much closer than it used to be. It's hard to quantify the future repair cost savings (should be much lower on an EV) and longevity of the car given the limited track record (big picture) of Tesla's mass market cars. But for the utility of the model Y vs. ICE competitors, there's not much of a premium you're paying vs. a fully loaded Audi Q5, BMW X3, etc. If I compare it to a small SUV/crossover on the more economical side (Ford,GM, Toyota) then yes, this is a premium. A lot of current EV/hybrid owners tend to be fairly environmentally conscious as well and that definitely played into this decision: feeling like I'm helping to contribute to the proliferations of EVs and theoretically driving down the future purchase costs for EVs for society as a whole. 

I have NO doubts that EV will be the standard option for new vehicle purchases in the decade. China has sunk big time investment dollars into this area and we're going to have to stay up with it unless we want our domestic auto market to further crumble. I feel strongly about American innovation and production. It was a great feeling to choose the American product and feel it was the best option on the market.

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I am also interested in what GMC and Ford will come out with.

The more competition the better! I dislike that Tesla has been so far ahead of others. That's what's ultimately lead to price reductions and EVs becoming an economic homerun.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

We have an electric BMW. Love it. Actually, it is our second one... so... 

I am curious what VW is throwing out there with the ID4. 

I was very close on an i3 a few years back for our in-town car. I like seeing the German automakers put a lot of resources towards EVs, mostly because I tend to gravitate to their styling and features more than American made. What I really want is for someone to start electrifying old classic models. I used to drive an 86 560SL a few years ago - 9 mpg in town. I'd pay some serious $ for an EV conversion on something like that.

40 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

What happens to all those batteries from EVs, in the distant future?  Bury them in Nevada, Texas?  Serious question.  I'm not against EVs, but believe the disposal of "used/spent" batteries is a real concern.

I know it is a serious question, but I don't think it is completely genuine.  No one claims it is a perfect technology or that it is the end game for saving the planet. However at the very least it allows for a population to pick where it wants to dump its waste, instead of gasoline engines which spew wherever they are... regardless.  

EV lithium batteries are being repurposed for other uses - refrigeration, lighting, backup batteries for elevators, etc. A market is created. If the end up buried in a the desert, sure, why not. Just like all the failed transmissions, radiators, mufflers and oil filters from gasoline cars - which EVs do not have. 

When I look at the amount of waste on my two gasoline vehicles compared to my two EV vehicles - it is hands down a less wasteful option. On my diesel engine, that sprung an "upper pan" oil leak - where did all that raw material end up? Cost me a ton of money, for sure, but I never even had to contemplate where the waste ended up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, MDH said:

I was very close on an i3 a few years back for our in-town car. I like seeing the German automakers put a lot of resources towards EVs, mostly because I tend to gravitate to their styling and features more than American made. What I really want is for someone to start electrifying old classic models. I used to drive an 86 560SL a few years ago - 9 mpg in town. I'd pay some serious $ for an EV conversion on something like that.

I have a classic car that I would love to convert to electric. I know a couple companies are starting to sell the classic Porsche components. 

https://insideevs.com/news/447512/ev-west-tesla-crate-motor-ls-swap/

I don't drive the project car enough (yet) to drop that kind of money for a hobby. Once my kids are never in the car with me, maybe. 

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

What happens to all those batteries from EVs, in the distant future?  Bury them in Nevada, Texas?  Serious question.  I'm not against EVs, but believe the disposal of "used/spent" batteries is a real concern.

That and the manufacturing of those batteries on the front end.  Not as environmentally friendly as many think.

• Eye Roll 2

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That and the manufacturing of those batteries on the front end.  Not as environmentally friendly as many think.

Everyone knows batteries are not pulled from thin air. Just like oil is not created in a lab with no harm. There is definitely an impact on the environment for both technologies. However only one of those does not impact the environment where the car actually resides/run/lives. Both have end of life concerns ... Where do all the dead engines end up from gasoline cars? 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Steel?  Structural steel?

Sure - definitely. There is a whole industry that was created to reclaim the steel and re-use when applicable. Why is that not the same answer given for batteries? Because it is the same concept we see with EVs. It isn't political - it is just how "the market" works. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

However only one of those does not impact the environment where the car actually resides/run/lives.

So, as long as the environment isn't impacted where I live, then we are okay?  I don't think that is what you meant, but that is how the above reads.  

What about the power plants that provide the electricity?

Coal Fired Power Plants

To be clear, I am not against EV's.  I think they are great but with limitations at this time.  Their range is insufficient.  The time to recharge the batteries is time consuming.  There aren't enough charging stations.  The power grid is not sufficient to support a mass influx of EV's.  These are just a few issues at this time, so why basically shutter one industry in support of another when we are not ready?

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/the-environmental-impact-of-lithium-batteries/#:~:text=Mining and processing of lithium,the unfounded issues with fracking.&text=The lithium ion battery industry,800 gigawatt hours in 2027.

• Downvote 2

We are all adult enough to know what I said and it was not the strawman that it is ok to pollute other people's space. But to that point - I do think that the ability to produce energy/product somewhere OTHER than where people live is a good option.  Same way i think having my trash taken out of my city and put in a non-residential location is best. Even with that trash "disappearing" from my house, I try to minimize my waste with my shopping and food choices. 

First - the Institute for Energy Research is just a climate change denial front. Not much of an "institute for research" as much as a lobbying group for keeping things the same. Once again, no one is calling for a "shuttering" of an industry.Oil will always have its place in our world... but hopefully only 20% of what it is currently. 

Second - Non-oil based electricity is a thing. It is growing in availability. For my EVs power source - I pay extra to buy energy credits from solar and wind generated electricity. That is just my personal choice.

I chose a smaller range and smaller car for my EV (opposed to the Jaguar or Tesla) because I don't want to haul around a large battery when I am not going to use it. I only need to go 100 miles a day. It charges to 90% rather quickly on the Level 2 charger. Less range, less battery, less to end up in a landfill.  I think smaller cars and smaller batteries are a great option -- when I need to go a long distance -- I can take a train, plane or use one of those rental car companies.  BMW provides free loaner cars if you need to make a road trip - that is a nice option. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1