SMUt hiring Leavitt

97and03

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Does Leavitt have baggage? I could see him taking over a G5 as HC again but definitely not Bennett.

Yes, there is some baggage going back to his USF exit years back. I don’t view it as the type that makes you un-hireable as a HC again. My opinion. Mileage may vary.

95-57 in 11 seasons at USF. I’ve long advocated for UNT seriously looking in his direction as a HC. Lots of similarities in our program and USF, we’re just developmentally further behind the curve at this point. If things don’t go our way this season, the guy is literally right down the road now. We pay well. Something to consider.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Does Leavitt have baggage? I could see him taking over a G5 as HC again but definitely not Bennett.

Does a wild bear ...    

I think someone will give him a chance as a head coach again, punching a kid then telling players and assistant coaches to change their stories to protect him isn't a quality reference. USF and he reached a settlement of $2.5 million on the roughly $7.8 million he was owed. Up to now, he hasn't accepted any head coaching positions assuming one was offered. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Yes, there is some baggage going back to his USF exit years back. I don’t view it as the type that makes you un-hireable as a HC again. My opinion. Mileage may vary.

95-57 in 11 seasons at USF. I’ve long advocated for UNT seriously looking in his direction as a HC. Lots of similarities in our program and USF, we’re just developmentally further behind the curve at this point. If things don’t go our way this season, the guy is literally right down the road now. We pay well. Something to consider.

Likewise, I have been a fan of his since 2001 when he took USF from a new program to BCS in 5 years.  

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Does a wild bear ...    

I think someone will give him a chance as a head coach again, punching a kid then telling players and assistant coaches to change their stories to protect him isn't a quality reference. USF and he reached a settlement of $2.5 million on the roughly $7.8 million he was owed. Up to now, he hasn't accepted any head coaching positions assuming one was offered. 

It seems as though we've both gone and hired DC's with a black mark on their resumes. 

I'm going to stay away from PB, because the charges levied against him were borderline, if not blatantly, felonious, and he's not our problem anymore.  Leveatt's, however, were of a hot headed HC who made a stupid mistake and it cost him handsomely.  Trying to be objective here - if it's my son, and the HC punches him and then lies about it, if he's fired and it cost's him upwards of $5M and his job and reputation, I'm satisfied.  That may not be, however, the attitude of the kid or his father - so be it. 

So the hire's on Sonny now.  As long as JL doesn't do anything this stupid again Sonney should be fine.  And while JL would probably be considered for the HC if CSD moves on, I'd prefer us to look at a younger face.  We'll see. 

Edited by SMUleopold
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

It seems as though we've both gone and hired DC's with a black mark on their resumes. 

I'm going to stay away from PB, because the charges levied against him were borderline, if not blatantly, felonious, and he's not our problem anymore.  Leveatt's, however, were of a hot headed HC who made a stupid mistake and it cost him handsomely.  Trying to be objective here - if it's my son, and the HC punches him and then lies about it, if he's fired and it cost's him upwards of $5M and his job and reputation, I'm satisfied.  That may not be, however, the attitude of the kid or his father - so be it. 

So the hire's on Sonny now.  As long as JL doesn't do anything this stupid again Sonney should be fine.  And while JL would probably be considered for the HC if CSD moves on, I'd prefer us to look at a younger face.  We'll see. 

What charges were levied against Phil Bennett?

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What charges were levied against Phil Bennett?

One poster on 🔹🔺SMU’s PonyFans.com said(after we hired PB) that Coach Bennett hollered rather loudly at his players & got in their faces. 

I’d guess most of the posters on GMG.com played organized football from PeeWee to HS football & many of us most likely at some point had a screamer who hollered at us.   Football is certainly no place for petite petunias. 

🦅❇️🦅

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

Hey, someone's going to give him a chance. And in the since he was let go, I've not heard of anything additional happening. Hopefully he's figured out a way to discipline without hitting anyone. I think both Leavitt and Bennet will do fine in their new jobs. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

One poster on 🔹🔺SMU’s PonyFans.com said(after we hired PB) that Coach Bennett hollered rather loudly at his players & got in their faces. 

I’d guess most of the posters on GMG.com played organized football from PeeWee to HS football & many of us most likely at some point had a screamer who hollered at us.   Football is certainly no place for petite petunias. 

🦅❇️🦅

I really hope he hollers in our players faces if they make the silly undisciplined plays like last year.

I’m ready to see the intensity, kind of like Reffett, but with a better football knowledge.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I really hope he hollers in our players faces if they make the silly undisciplined plays like last year.

I’m ready to see the intensity, kind of like Reffett, but with a better football knowledge.

Listen to Brune's podcast with Seth. He said he made Bennett promise not to drop MFer in front of the players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Listen to Brune's podcast with Seth. He said he made Bennett promise not to drop MFer in front of the players. 

Hmmm interesting. Listened to the whole pod, and my thought overall is. The kids need someone to teach and guide them to the next level. Hoping Bennett and co can do it.

• Upvote 1

A good hire for the ‘Stangs.
SMU in one of their Russ Pots/Brad Thomas “Mustang Mania”  type promotions should hype the 2 new DC’s Leavitt vs Phil Bennett in a post game wrestling match this September. Call it the, uh, “Battle of the Bruisers?” 😳

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen