I like to check out that chart from time to time.  Of course, any chart/list like that can't be perfectly objective, but they're neat to take a look at to measure one's own bias, I guess.

EDIT:

Almost forgot.  The NYT is a joke.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

42 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just an FYI, don't rely on the images.  Do a network-specific search (on the left), and it will isolate all instances of reviewed articles (grey dots) from that network.  It gives you a better visual of the network's footprint across both axes.

Thanks. Noticed for MSNBC they rated the Website, not TV (did both separate for CNN and FOX). Let's just say there is a lot of personal subjectivity on both sides of these "rankings". At the end of the day it's getting harder to just find information and not opinions. Not sure if there are many news journalist left, just a lot of opinion writers

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Thanks. Noticed for MSNBC they rated the Website, not TV (did both separate for CNN and FOX). Let's just say there is a lot of personal subjectivity on both sides of these "rankings". At the end of the day it's getting harder to just find information and not opinions. Not sure if there are many news journalist left, just a lot of opinion writers

Amen. I miss the days of Walter Cronkite saying, “And that’s the way it is.”  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Of course, Walter Cronkite might be most famous for weighing in on Vietnam, so even he occasionally gave his opinion.

I'd say the major networks do a much better job of reporting the news than the cable outlets do, but less and less people watch the NBC Nightly News, World News Tonight, and CBS Evening News every year.  FOX News showed oped journalism brings in viewers over 20 years ago and CNN, MSNBC, and the recent new comers followed suit.  Back in the day, shows like Crossfire on CNN were unique, now that's what they all run for hours every single day.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Amen. I miss the days of Walter Cronkite saying, “And that’s the way it is.”  

Great memories of my Grandfather and watching Walter. He was a Master Carpenter and went in to work early. Was home when Walter was on. In "his house" there was no horse play when Walter was on. He sat in his chair and I would sit on the floor beside him. Great memories. 

• Upvote 3

TV "news", is a misnomer.  It is about 10% actual news and the rest is commentary and sensationalism designed to get our viewership.  Actual news is the reporting of events and is supposed to be an accurate portrayal of the events.  With 24 hour news channels, got to fill up the programing and it has to get my attention, then advertising dollars, etc.  Kinda gotten out of control.  We are all biased, but there is some crazy stuff going on out there.  Love thy neighbor, not if he is a ____________, but he is still your neighbor........................

Peace out!

• Upvote 2

On 1/26/2021 at 6:53 PM, CMJ said:

I'd say the major networks do a much better job of reporting the news than the cable outlets do, but less and less people watch the NBC Nightly News, World News Tonight, and CBS Evening News every year.  FOX News showed oped journalism brings in viewers over 20 years ago and CNN, MSNBC, and the recent new comers followed suit.  Back in the day, shows like Crossfire on CNN were unique, now that's what they all run for hours every single day.

Once in a while I'll throw on CNN just to see if there's anything new, but I can't watch more than about 15 minutes of it. Too much "analysis" that is basically "spin alley" 24x7.

I prefer to just get news updates from NPR or watch PBS NewsHour while making dinner.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Once in a while I'll throw on CNN just to see if there's anything new, but I can't watch more than about 15 minutes of it. Too much "analysis" that is basically "spin alley" 24x7.

I prefer to just get news updates from NPR or watch PBS NewsHour while making dinner.

Same here (and I lean left). If you watch more of those networks/websites that are around the middle of this chart you can quickly pickup on bias from either side. It's a shame more can't, but clearly, it's what the people want! I get 99% of my news from Bloomberg given that I sit at my computer in front of a Bloomberg terminal all day. There's opinion pieces on there too but they're very clearly marked.

1 hour ago, MDH said:

Same here (and I lean left). If you watch more of those networks/websites that are around the middle of this chart you can quickly pickup on bias from either side. It's a shame more can't, but clearly, it's what the people want! I get 99% of my news from Bloomberg given that I sit at my computer in front of a Bloomberg terminal all day. There's opinion pieces on there too but they're very clearly marked.

That's good. Too many people confuse mot of what's on CNN, FOX, and MSNBC as "news" versus opinion. Choose what you like or feel comfortable with, but it definitely seems like there are not too many places left to hear actual news reporting. 

• Upvote 1