Mike Stoops ??

El Paso Eagle

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

5-8 and we beat them the last time we played them.

Great point.
12cb748bd64a36324d497245bd320c81.gif

We're definitely doing things better than FAU.   There's absolutely no reason to think that NT grabbing a DC off the retirement heap is a lesser hire than FAU grabbing a proven DC, and outstanding program-building HC in his own right  (Stoops is 41-50 as HC, whereas Bennett is 19-52)

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

A quick search will tell you that Bennett probably didn't want to leave ASU, they didn't want him to leave but it was necessary due to personal and health issues at that time.  It isn't like the game passed him by.  Bennett is a proven DC.

Stoops is also a proven DC, not sure about NFL caliber, with some baggage.  He was a HC at one time amassing a record of 41-50 overall.  I think Stoops is a good DC that has gained a lot of mileage out of his last name.

I would have been happy with either, but I don't think Stoops is head and shoulders above Bennett and I don't think Bennett is a retread pull out of retirement.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

A quick search will tell you that Bennett probably didn't want to leave ASU, they didn't want him to leave but it was necessary due to personal and health issues at that time.  It isn't like the game passed him by.  Bennett is a proven DC.

Stoops is also a proven DC, not sure about NFL caliber, with some baggage.  He was a HC at one time amassing a record of 41-50 overall.  I think Stoops is a good DC that has gained a lot of mileage out of his last name.

I would have been happy with either, but I don't think Stoops is head and shoulders above Bennett and I don't think Bennett is a retread pull out of retirement.

Oh, I've read and heard all about Bennett lately.
I just took these off a few years ago.
green_classic_edit_grande.png?v=15434438

I anticipate Bennett is a much better DC than either Reffett or Bowen, but Stoops was the guy I was hoping we'd land from the beginning, and to see him go to a conference mate instead hurts.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.   

• Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, I've read and heard all about Bennett lately.
I just took these off a few years ago.
green_classic_edit_grande.png?v=15434438

I anticipate Bennett is a much better DC than either Reffett or Bowen, but Stoops was the guy I was hoping we'd land from the beginning, and to see him go to a conference mate instead hurts.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.   

Not so sure Stoops was not approached but he thought he was going to get the Texas job. That did not happen. Guess he was not sure he wanted to be here

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not so sure Stoops was not approached but he thought he was going to get the Texas job. That did not happen. Guess he was not sure he wanted to be here

I kinda think this is what happened.   

Like I said, I know Bennett is loads better than what we've had here before, so I'm glad to have him.  I would just rather have had Stoops.

• Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I kinda think this is what happened.   

Like I said, I know Bennett is loads better than what we've had here before, so I'm glad to have him.  I would just rather have had Stoops.

This PB is coming here and wants to be here. Think if Stoops had come it would have been "a job" while he kept looking. Could be wrong.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

From what I have seen Herm Edwards wanted PB to stay and coach for him. One of the things you hear about Edwards how he is good at surrounding himself with good coaches who are high quality people.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This PB is coming here and wants to be here. Think if Stoops had come it would have been "a job" while he kept looking. Could be wrong.

Well, I think if Seth Littrell calls you regarding the DC job at UNT, and Steve Sarkisian calls you regarding the DC job at Texas, you lend your ear a little more to the Big12 "job".   When that offer dried up, Littrell had already moved on to Bennett.   If that's the case, I can understand all aspects here.  Littrell couldn't sit around and wait for Stoops to finish flirting with UT.  We were starting to get impatient around here (GMG.com) with him...  I imagine Wren would have likely been a little moreso. 

Plan B, Phil Bennett, still a nice hire.

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, I think if Seth Littrell calls you regarding the DC job at UNT, and Steve Sarkisian calls you regarding the DC job at Texas, you lend your ear a little more to the Big12 "job".   When that offer dried up, Littrell had already moved on to Bennett.   If that's the case, I can understand all aspects here.  Littrell couldn't sit around and wait for Stoops to finish flirting with UT.  We were starting to get impatient around here (GMG.com) with him...  I imagine Wren would have likely been a little moreso. 

Plan B, Phil Bennett, still a nice hire.

It was not the DC job at Texas, it was the LB coach

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

One of the things you hear about Edwards how he is good at surrounding himself with good coaches who are high quality people.

This can’t be true because no one who coached at Baylor under Briles is a “high quality person.” 

At least that’s what I’ve read on this forum.😬

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It was not the DC job at Texas, it was the LB coach

OK.   That's still likely a $250,000 - $500,000 pay difference.   And both of the LB coaches Sarkisian hired are labelled "co-coordinators", so I bet Stoops would have got the same title.

One, on Texas' staff, where, if you do well, you'll have opportunities for rapid advancement again. 
If you underperform in year 1, you likely have a little leash.  Herman's staff had 3 years to underperform.

The other, on Seth Littrell's staff, where, if you do well, your advancement path is a little slower.  And Littrell is obviously not doing well right now.  If you underperform, you're out of a job (because Littrell will likely be gone).

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.   That's still likely a $250,000 - $500,000 pay difference.   And both of the LB coaches Sarkisian hired are labelled "co-coordinators", so I bet Stoops would have got the same title.

One, on Texas' staff, where, if you do well, you'll have opportunities for rapid advancement again. 
If you underperform in year 1, you likely have a little leash.  Herman's staff had 3 years to underperform.

The other, on Seth Littrell's staff, where, if you do well, your advancement path is a little slower.  And Littrell is obviously not doing well right now.  If you underperform, you're out of a job (because Littrell will likely be gone).

No disagreement. Just seems he decided to take the risk that he would get the Texas job and that was perhaps worth it in his opinion or it did not play out as quick as he had wanted.  

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No disagreement. Just seems he decided to take the risk that he would get the Texas job and that was perhaps worth it in his opinion or it did not play out as quick as he had wanted.  

Backlash from the UT faithful led to Stoops not being hired.  I think if you look at the statistical performance of the defenses led by Bennett and Stoops, you will discover that Bennett's performed better.

• Upvote 1

No information but my assessment of how this all planned out.

Seith's first call was to Stoops...Stoops was also in talks at UT.  Stoops said he would get back to Seth...Seth waited for awhile, then called his old coach in Bennett to ask about other potential DC's.  Bennett then informed Seth that he would be willing to come out of retirement and wanted back on the sidelines.  Seth did a back flip, and offered the job to bennett immediately.  

I truly believe Stoops was Seth's first choice, but IF he would have known that Bennett was wanting to come out of retirement, Bennett would have been the first choice.

Is Stoops better than Bennett.  Man that is a toss up for me, but it sure does appear that as a DC, Bennett has been successful everywhere he has gone.  Stoops on the other hand has had some real high ups and some real low downs.  Stoops might have the bigger upside potentially, but Bennett seems to be much more consistently good than Stoops.

• Upvote 3