Restructing in the Athletic Department

UNTLifer

https://meangreensports.com/news/2021/1/21/general-mean-green-athletics-restructures-executive-leadership-team-promotes-three-staff-members.aspx

"We have taken time the past few months to evaluate our executive leadership team structure, Baker said. "We were able to absorb and redistribute responsibilities from a previous executive staff position in a way that resulted in the elimination of a full-time position. This shift has enabled us to reward three very valuable employees while maximizing our resources. I'm excited to announce these changes."

• Upvote 2

Nice way to get a raise in the middle of a pandemic. 

No fans, a tiny fraction of usual revenues; and NT gives out raises. It should not matter that due to the elimination of a position, that it is a net reduction in payroll. 

This could have waited till this crisis is over.  A bad look to this fan. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

You want to know how to lose good employees? Dump more work/responsibilities on them and don’t compensate them. 

You know how to lose employees, overcompensate them and than in a downturn have to cut the staff.

Of course that is the business world, not one that is run primarily by student fees. 

Peck the fund raiser, I would want to keep.  Losing him could be a gianatic lost.

The other two look like basically they are in the same job and this reorganization gives them new titles for basically the same job.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

No fans, a tiny fraction of usual revenues; and NT gives out raises. It should not matter that due to the elimination of a position, that it is a net reduction in payroll. 

You seem to be confusing compensating for added work compared to giving raises. I would think if we were able to check, that the combined increases to the three are most like lower than replacing the person that left. So don't assume there is not a net reduction.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You seem to be confusing compensating for added work compared to giving raises. I would think if we were able to check, that the combined increases to the three are most like lower than replacing the person that left. So don't assume there is not a net reduction.

Did I not say it was an overall reduction?

As far as more work, are they now on a 60 hour work week versus 40?

What I say and I may be wrong, is that the jobs look basically the same as they had before.   Just more money for the same work. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Having said what I said I don’t think you should get dogpiled for this opinion. 

But at the end of the day (😜) I care more about the job the people are doing rather their salaries (up to a point). The most egregious overpaying is on the sideline, not the offices. 

• Upvote 3

In addition to Hank who is going to work for the Denton Chamber of Commerce and will continue to do radio, (which I think is a better fit for him and UNT). - the CFO we poached from the AAC went back to the AAC at the beginning of the year. So it sounds like they sort of merged the responsibilities of those two across these employees.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I agree that the optics of this are not good. The university is in a hiring freeze, with some exceptions, and I know a number of key professorships have gone unfilled.

There are also the examples set by some coaches and ADs who are taking reduced salaries during the epidemic. None of this happened at North Texas as far as I know.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, xyresic said:

In addition to Hank who is going to work for the Denton Chamber of Commerce and will continue to do radio, (which I think is a better fit for him and UNT). 

Thanks X. 

Hank's service to the the athletic department and the entire university have been invaluable. The relationships that he's cultivated are a large part of what has enabled this program to thrive. I am thrilled that we were able to retain his services for radio as I believe that the Hank/George and Hank/Dave broadcast  teams have been among the best in the nation for the past 25 years.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1