Portal perspective

Cr1028

2 hours ago, Greendylan said:

I don't necessarily have any data in front of me to prove this, but it seems like most players transferring (in general, I mean, not just this year) are doing so to get more playing time.  It seems far less common for star G5 players to be poached by P5 programs simply to improve their visibility.  There are exceptions, of course, but I don't think that an acceleration of transferring will convert the G5 into a "minor league" of sorts for the P5.  At least, so far I don't see evidence of that.  In fact, it might actually have the opposite effect and water down the depth of P5 programs losing players who were top recruits but unwilling to wait years to start.

I am thinking Houston was moving on to Tune, which caused him to opt out. 

• Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Dk79 said:

The transfer portal "...helping young men break their commitments since 2018..."
It's a shame many guys end up being left out in the cold and won't finish their education. 
Some guys like being recruited more than they like fighting for a job.

But, can we always assume that a player in the portal has broken a commitment?  That's impossible to know without being privy to private conversations between said player and the coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

No way.  They liked little Tune fine, but they were going to start King every single time over him.

This. King is a very good player. he did what he thought was best for his "branding". He did what I worried Mason would. I am thankful Mason stayed true to UNT.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

But, can we always assume that a player in the portal has broken a commitment?  That's impossible to know without being privy to private conversations between said player and the coaching staff.

The commitment is the LOI signed by student athlete to attend and be part of the team in exchange for their schooling being paid for...they break that commitment when they bounce. Right? A LOI doesn't promise you playing time, but it promises you an education & a chance to fight for that job and be part of the team.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dk79 said:

The commitment is the LOI signed by student athlete to attend and be part of the team in exchange for their schooling being paid for...they break that commitment when they bounce. Right? A LOI doesn't promise you playing time, but it promises you an education & a chance to fight for that job and be part of the team.

If a coach says, "you should move on," to a player, and he follows suit, you would consider that breaking a commitment?

What if a program says, "we're not going to renew your scholarship"? Why does a recruit have to commit for 4-5 years when the coaching staff only has to commit for 1 year at a time?

What if a coach has flat-out lied to a player during the recruiting process, and that comes to light during the season, causing that player to move on? (I'm not saying any of our coaches have done this--purely a hypothetical.)

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

If a coach says, "you should move on," to a player, and he follows suit, you would consider that breaking a commitment?

What if a program says, "we're not going to renew your scholarship"? Why does a recruit have to commit for 4-5 years when the coaching staff only has to commit for 1 year at a time?

What if a coach has flat-out lied to a player during the recruiting process, and that comes to light during the season, causing that player to move on? (I'm not saying any of our coaches have done this--purely a hypothetical.)

Your right, it's a two-way street. Do players get "asked" to look for other options, sure. But there are also many cases where backups stays at a school 4-5 years, contribute and get an education. While the intent is mostly good there will be cases where players make bad decisions based on emotions, not best-case. Hopefully, at some point those involved from all sides take a look at how the transferring impacts players completing their education. Most are not going to the next level, and some end up with no offers and no way to finish school. 

I just hope for FB it doesn't turn out like BB where it seems kids who doesn't play as soon, or as much as he wants to gets mad and leaves.

11 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Those are all good points, agreed. I would be willing to beat that just a fraction (maybe those you can count on 2 hands) of the hundreds & hundreds of student athletes electing to transfer have been told to move on OR had their scholly revoked. Coaches can lie, make their program look pretty...sure. 

How many transfers are "studs," multi-year starters, 1st string and happy...that just up and leave? Do they exists? Sure! I think we'd find that most are not satisfied with the results of their efforts aka job placement. It's always greener somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This. King is a very good player. he did what he thought was best for his "branding". He did what I worried Mason would. I am thankful Mason stayed true to UNT.

So, I guess that is what can be expected of him at the next level. Just move on if you feel you brand is not being serviced the way you want it. I would have a hard time hiring somebody with that in their history. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

So, I guess that is what can be expected of him at the next level. Just move on if you feel you brand is not being serviced the way you want it. I would have a hard time hiring somebody with that in their history. 

I understand, but what do you do when that describes 90%+ of the talent pool?

3 hours ago, Greendylan said:

I agree.  I think the portal plus the added year has provided coaches an opportunity to "churn" their roster and move along players that they didn't feel had a future in their program.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree.  I think the portal plus the added year has provided coaches an opportunity to "churn" their roster and move along players that they didn't feel had a future in their program.

I wonder how many HS seniors didn’t get a scholly because of the extra year rule. Kind of a double edged sword if you ask me. Covid sucks for sure. Disrupted life on many levels. But is this the best way to deal with it?  Sometime stuff happens and you just have to deal with the consequences. Getting a “do over” is not much of a life lesson. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I wonder how many HS seniors didn’t get a scholly because of the extra year rule. Kind of a double edged sword if you ask me. Covid sucks for sure. Disrupted life on many levels. But is this the best way to deal with it?  Sometime stuff happens and you just have to deal with the consequences. Getting a “do over” is not much of a life lesson. 

Exactly, Ryan Woolridge didn’t get his chance at the sweet 16 with the Zags like he should have and our CUSA champ team didn’t get a chance in the tourney like they should have. Nobody cares about last year’s spring sport seniors and their peril.  It’s all about the P5 football factories.

24 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This is why I still think there could be a couple of late HS signings - if the right players slip through. Next year could be a big walk-on year for a lot of schools.

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Sad will be players across the NCAA FBS who find a different school yet who sit on the wood more than the school they left behind.  
This is going to happen. 

🦅❇️🦅

That, and the players who don't find a different school.