Portal perspective

Cr1028

31 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

So how does the portal work exactly? Do players just put their name in the database and hope a coach sees and contacts them, or does it provide contact details to get in touch with specific schools?

Schools have access to see who enters. Once it is submitted the player is open to contact with any school, more or less. Most programs seem to have people assigned to view the portal to see who enters

Student-athletes can provide an email address and a phone number where any interested coaches can contact them. Or student-athletes can decide not to provide contact information and reach out to the schools they are interested in attending.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Needed next are stats for those who are looking to make a change; that is,  on how many who entered the portal actually found another school & how many simply decided to stick with the school who brung them to the dance in the first place.  
Then...those requesting to stay at said original school who signed them (out of high school) who were allowed to come back. I would think most would approve their staying. 

Maybe such stats already exists?

🦅❇️🦅 GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

That’s because it worked out well for him. It’s too bad that isn’t always the case.

One of the keys for this, and most decisions, is who you get your advise from. The problem is most people  want to hear only positives and not negatives so they limit who they ask. If you only ask those who will tell you what you want to be told then the risk probably increases. Being honestly critiqued is not easy for most, especially athletes who might have always been told how good they are.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Needed next are stats for those who are looking to make a change; that is,  on how many who entered the portal actually found another school & how many simply decided to stick with the school who brung them to the dance in the first place.  
Then...those requesting to stay at said original school who signed them (out of high school) were allowed to come back. I would think most would approve their staying. 

Maybe such stats already exists?

🦅❇️🦅 GMG!

@PlummMeanGreen If you look at the 247 transfer portal report you can go back and look at previous years and see where they ended up. If it does not show a school they either went to a non FBS/FCS school or did not find another home. It also does not confirm if they received a scholarship or walked-on

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

• Thanks 1

I sure some players will be saying down the road of life "I have should stayed where I had a scholarship and finished my degree".   When some players don't find a home I am afraid they will quit school and have one bad job after another.  Hard to tell kids that age (I was just like them) anything at that age.   

• Upvote 5

I think a lot of the problem is the few cases were transferring has worked are celebrated to no end...a la Joe Burrow, Josh Fields, etc....but we dont hear near enough about the kids that dont ever get the call from another school, the kids that do get to go somewhere else but get lost in the shuffle, or the kids that fall while trying to improve... a la D'Erick King, he was on top of the world at Houston, went to Miami, had a few good games but ultimately it didn't improve anything for him, and maybe hurt him overall

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I think a lot of the problem is the few cases were transferring has worked are celebrated to no end...a la Joe Burrow, Josh Fields, etc....but we dont hear near enough about the kids that dont ever get the call from another school, the kids that do get to go somewhere else but get lost in the shuffle, or the kids that fall while trying to improve... a la D'Erick King, he was on top of the world at Houston, went to Miami, had a few good games but ultimately it didn't improve anything for him, and maybe hurt him overall

I think King is doing the right thing and staying in school another year. If he stay healthy he should greatly increase his draft value. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think King is doing the right thing and staying in school another year. If he stay healthy he should greatly increase his draft value. 

Agreed, but he left Houston to be drafted this year, and that didn’t work out. He playing at Miami did nothing to improve his draft stock, vs staying at Houston 

1 minute ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Agreed, but he left Houston to be drafted this year, and that didn’t work out. He playing at Miami did nothing to improve his draft stock, vs staying at Houston 

Still think he had not been hurt he could have been drafted in a fair position

I don't necessarily have any data in front of me to prove this, but it seems like most players transferring (in general, I mean, not just this year) are doing so to get more playing time.  It seems far less common for star G5 players to be poached by P5 programs simply to improve their visibility.  There are exceptions, of course, but I don't think that an acceleration of transferring will convert the G5 into a "minor league" of sorts for the P5.  At least, so far I don't see evidence of that.  In fact, it might actually have the opposite effect and water down the depth of P5 programs losing players who were top recruits but unwilling to wait years to start.

• Upvote 2

The transfer portal "...helping young men break their commitments since 2018..."
It's a shame many guys end up being left out in the cold and won't finish their education. 
Some guys like being recruited more than they like fighting for a job.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1