DRC (updated with story): UNT QB Jason Bean enters NCAA transfer portal

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC (updated with story): UNT QB Jason Bean enters NCAA transfer portal

Are we the only team getting hit by this bug?    I bet SL did not like his attitude on the sideline if he was not starting.  We could see it from the stands and I am sure his teammates saw on the field.  He has talent and am sure he will find a home somewhere, if he wants to start it might be at lower level school or UTEP.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Are we the only team getting hit by this bug?    I bet SL did not like his attitude on the sideline if he was not starting.  We could see it from the stands and I am sure his teammates saw on the field.  He has talent and am sure he will find a home somewhere, if he wants to start it might be at lower level school or UTEP.

SMU has 6 or 7 transfers. Of course they are transferring IN not OUT, but they had to come from somewhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Western KY has 20 heading out and 10 coming in as of today

Be interesting to see where these kids end up. Some will find other FBS homes, but other will end up FSC, D2/3 or JUCO.

I wish Bean good luck, but I think his sideline attitude might have outweighed his potential in the eyes of the coaches. Could be wrong, but let's see how it goes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This!!!  Nobody wants to work and get better for playing time. I applaud Mac Jones for his tenacity in earning a starting job. It is so easy to just give up and transfer. 

Last year’s number one pick was buried on the depth chart at OSU. He battled it out and won the starting spot and won OSU a national championship. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This!!!  Nobody wants to work and get better for playing time. I applaud Mac Jones for his tenacity in earning a starting job. It is so easy to just give up and transfer. 

38 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Last year’s number one pick was buried on the depth chart at OSU. He battled it out and won the starting spot and won OSU a national championship. 

Exactly.   Something to be said for both of these paths (One, biding time. The other, making his own way).  Every person’s circumstances are different.  What works for some may not work for someone else.

52 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Exactly.   Something to be said for both of these paths (One, biding time. The other, making his own way).  Every person’s circumstances are different.  What works for some may not work for someone else.

Burrow didn’t battle it out at OSU though. He transferred to LSU and won a national championship there, not at OSU

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Be interesting to see where these kids end up. Some will find other FBS homes, but other will end up FSC, D2/3 or JUCO.

I wish Bean good luck, but I think his sideline attitude might have outweighed his potential in the eyes of the coaches. Could be wrong, but let's see how it goes.

Joe Ozougwu ended up at Arky State

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was sarcastically jabbing MeanGreen_MBA with Burrow’s story that would have never happened if he stayed at OSU.

I think Burrow is a great example of no matter how much potential, some coaches are set on the type of QB they want and "better player" becomes subjective. Look at Fields. Same could be said. He was not going to start at Georgia and now he's looks to be a early draft pick.

Side note - OSU QBs have not fared so well in the NFL. Will be curious to see how Fields does. 

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think Burrow is a great example of no matter how much potential, some coaches are set on the type of QB they want and "better player" becomes subjective. Look at Fields. Same could be said. He was not going to start at Georgia and now he's looks to be a early draft pick.

Side note - OSU QBs have not fared so well in the NFL. Will be curious to see how Fields does. 

Fields was definitely going to start at Georgia, probably just not until Fromm was gone.

Good point about OSU Qbs--Fields looks to be a much greater QB talent than the rest of them, though.  He's not just an incredible athlete with a strong arm.  He can read defenses as well as any QB with his experience.

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

31 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Good point about OSU Qbs--Fields looks to be a much greater QB talent than the rest of them, though.  He's not just an incredible athlete with a strong arm.  He can read defenses as well as any QB with his experience.

Is there a school who has fared well in producing NFL QBs in recent years? Cal, Oklahoma, Louisville all have 2 starting QBs, NC State as well if you count recently retired Rivers and Wilson who grad transferred to Wisconsin. 

It’s such a crap shoot on college QBs becoming successful in the NFL, I don’t see how attributing their chances to their college gives any pre-indication. OU is the only school with multiple starting QBs from the same coaching regime, the rest mentioned came in and played under different coaching staffs than the other QB from that school. For example, not sure how being from Cal had any consistent benefit in preparing both Aaron Rodgers in 2004 and Jared Goff in 2015 for NFL success (arguable for Goff).

Texas Tech QBs not being good pros was a talking point for a while but none were as talented as Mahomes. Doesn’t seem like previous Ohio State QBs actually have anything to do with how Fields will fare.

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Is there a school who has fared well in producing NFL QBs in recent years? Cal, Oklahoma, Louisville all have 2 starting QBs, NC State as well if you count recently retired Rivers and Wilson who grad transferred to Wisconsin. 

It’s such a crap shoot on college QBs becoming successful in the NFL, I don’t see how attributing their chances to their college gives any pre-indication. OU is the only school with multiple starting QBs from the same coaching regime, the rest mentioned came in and played under different coaching staffs than the other QB from that school. For example, not sure how being from Cal had any consistent benefit in preparing both Aaron Rodgers in 2004 and Jared Goff in 2015 for NFL success (arguable for Goff).

Texas Tech QBs not being good pros was a talking point for a while but none were as talented as Mahomes. Doesn’t seem like previous Ohio State QBs actually have anything to do with how Fields will fare.

I heard a good, at least I thought it was, explanation on this. The draft geru (🤣) said QBs at the Alabama, Ohio States, etc. are hard to judge at how good they really are when almost week after week they have 5* lines and receives who are just that much more talented than the competition. He commented that is why you see QBs on NFL teams that might not have seemed like great college players or had the best numbers, but their skill sets were actually better and some of the "best" college QBs don't make it.   

59 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I heard a good, at least I thought it was, explanation on this. The draft geru (🤣) said QBs at the Alabama, Ohio States, etc. are hard to judge at how good they really are when almost week after week they have 5* lines and receives who are just that much more talented than the competition. He commented that is why you see QBs on NFL teams that might not have seemed like great college players or had the best numbers, but their skill sets were actually better and some of the "best" college QBs don't make it.   

That’s fair. Definitely some solid logic in those explanations. Looking at some of the plays Alabama ran, some of their route schemes were 4-5 second developing plays that are almost unheard of playcalls, made possible by that line. Can’t knock the QB for the throw but also hard to project knowing that much time and separation won’t be there in the NFL.

• Upvote 2