Jason Bean has entered the portal

5 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I think one major issue to building an offense around Bean, is that to do that you would have to run the zone read quite a bit, and im just not sure his body frame is capable of carrying the ball 10-15 times a game for a whole season.

Why is the word quite always underlined on this site?  I feel like there’s some way back inside joke that predates me. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I think one major issue to building an offense around Bean, is that to do that you would have to run the zone read quite a bit, and im just not sure his body frame is capable of carrying the ball 10-15 times a game for a whole season.

This is a very good counter argument I hadn’t thought about...  I completely agree.  Kinda debunks my point, unless he was protected extremely well (& LAMo was 0-10 last year, so I doubt he’d get much protection at all...).  When Bean got hit in open field this past season, he wound up coming off the field with injury a few times.

So he may shine for a bit, but Icarus can only fly so high for so long.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Why is the word quite always underlined on this site?  I feel like there’s some way back inside joke that predates me. 

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Nope, just the spell/grammar checker

Go back and read posts back from when Giovanni Vizza qui transferred.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Under the radar guy is Greyson Thompson. Had great stats at Braswell, and would love to see what he brings in the spring with Bryce, Austin, and Kason.

Who is Greyson Thompson? What about that transfer quarterback from Kentucky?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Danish43 said:

Greyson Thompson is a walk-on QB from Denton Braswell that had very good high school stats, Deion Sanders spoke highly of just prior to him coming to North Texas.

Gilmore is reported to not be in the running to be a QB from various sources.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Anybody else notice all the guys transferring out seem to only be thanking Coach Womack by name?

Seems like a petty dig at Littrell or maybe I'm just reading too much into it

I had exactly that same thought 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Danish43 said:

Gilmore came from Kentucky...but wasn't he 5th or 6th on the depth chart (and Kentucky doesn't have good QBs). Greyson is a red-shirt freshmen...found these over on the "recruiting" forum.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7648169/5de7bf25386e580fa0f7168a

1602D467-D901-4E42-ACF4-A0EB822AF860.jpeg

195F43F1-42E9-4448-89CE-3BC2D2D53B07.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2021 at 1:42 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

Hope the kid finds what he’s looking for. But his body language when he was taken out of games was HORRIBLE. 

edit: before anyone views this as me dogging the kid, I actually like Bean a lot. Super dynamic and could be a good QB with more work. And 18-22 year old me would be pissed if I was taken out of a game too. It was just an observation and not something you want from the leader of the offense. 

He will be missed.  I wonder if he may have felt that he didn't need to compete for the starting job next season.  I did worry about his sideline behavior while not playing. I wish him well.

I was very surprised to see Greyson Thompson wanted to transfer.  He’s a walk-on but I had heard good things and with Bean leaving, the QB selection was one player smaller.  Seemed like a good opportunity to move up in the pecking order, as well as possibly get a scholarship.  

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 2

Problem as a walk-on, unless you are head and shoulders better than those on scholarship, you probably aren't getting a great look.  Probably wants to pursue an opportunity with scholarship offer and a better opportunity at playing time.

I agree.  But nobody, at this point, knows Greyson Thompson better than SL.  He’s got a year under his belt learning the system and one of Thompson’s main competitors has left the mix.  If he was to have had a good spring, I would think a scholarship was just around the corner.  Thompson is being given bad advice and he will never be heard from again.    I wanted him to see the field.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

But nobody, at this point, knows Greyson Thompson better than SL....Thompson is being given bad advice

Probably one of the people on whose advice he's acting is that of SL.  If he had a legitimate shot at the starting job, or even at significant PT, he would have been told that.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I agree.  But nobody, at this point, knows Greyson Thompson better than SL.  He’s got a year under his belt learning the system and one of Thompson’s main competitors has left the mix.  If he was to have had a good spring, I would think a scholarship was just around the corner.  Thompson is being given bad advice and he will never be heard from again.    I wanted him to see the field.  

Apparently SL knows very little about Greyson...otherwise he wouldn’t have lost him to Deion Sanders 

0814A0FE-1546-4238-B7F8-0C59CDD65497.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Problem as a walk-on, unless you are head and shoulders better than those on scholarship, you probably aren't getting a great look.  Probably wants to pursue an opportunity with scholarship offer and a better opportunity at playing time.

Good for him! Wow

51DF3F48-D7B0-4348-A192-846DA81C674E.jpeg

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1