Jason Bean has entered the portal

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Under the radar guy is Greyson Thompson. Had great stats at Braswell, and would love to see what he brings in the spring with Bryce, Austin, and Kason.

I think you are overlooking someone, Kuehne, and putting too much value on another, Drummond, as a true freshman from a tiny OK school. 

Drummond needs to redshirt next year.

Aune is now the expected starter.

Martin and Kuehne should get reps and a solid look.

Thompson is a dark horse and intriguing based on comments from Deion Sanders.

Gilmore may get a shot, but I think he will move to another position.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I think you are overlooking someone, Kuehne, and putting too much value on another, Drummond, as a true freshman from a tiny OK school. 

Drummond needs to redshirt next year.

Aune is now the expected starter.

Martin and Kuehne should get reps and a solid look.

Thompson is a dark horse and intriguing based on comments from Deion Sanders.

Gilmore may get a shot, but I think he will move to another position.

Agreed. It's Aune's job to lose.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Personally, I'm 100% guilty of that assessment. Of course, my opinion of them skinny oklahoma boys is warped by Fine, so my hopes are up on him. Kuehne is really such an unknown, but I'm happy to see him get more of a shot with Jason climbing up the Bean stalk. Bean really didn't give me any great vibes, so I can't imagine it's a huge step down. 

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 2

Not sure what to think.  Part of me wonders if this call was pretty much made by the UTEP game.  That, as many have said, was about the quickest of hooks ever executed.  That said, why wait this long to announce that you’re transferring?

For a sophomore he definitely showed flashes.  Between Bean and Aune I preferred Aune early, but by the end of the season leaned more toward Bean.  Neither are Mason Fine, but then not many are.  Thought he could’ve had a good career here and wish him well ...

...unless he follows Tre-tor Siggers to dirty schmoo.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I saw Bean execute zone-read options and he was NOT GOOD at it. Bean usually lost yardage on those plays. He may run like a cheetah in a straight line, but he has the elusiveness of a fire hydrant. The guy gave zero jukes.

Lamar Jackson has an elusiveness similar to Barry Sanders (in addition to great speed).

Bean’s strength as a runner was when the defense had all the receivers covered and he could pull the ball down and run into green space. No one was going to catch him. And he had some amazing gains that way. Not running a zone-read.

I never saw him break a tackle. He always went down with an arm tackle.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yesterday I was looking back at the QBs’ stats from last season and noticed Aune was the primary QB for 4 games, and in those 4 games he threw for 1,299 yards (325 yards/game) and had 12 TDs/2 INTs. Then we have the MTSU game where he was yanked for good reason, but otherwise he produced when he was handed the keys. He just has to cut down on the fumbles and get that completion % up to keep getting us positive yardage.

In those 4 games mentioned, Simpson had 360 of his 517 yards on the season. 453 of Simpson’s yards came from Aune passes while only 64 came from Bean passes. Aune and Simpson have good rapport and with that being our new number 1 receiver, that’s something I expect they can both build on. Simpson at the Z position is on the far side of the field where it’s a longer throw, and Aune showed the arm strength to get him the ball.

It feels like Littrell is looking more for the prolific passing attack than he was looking to cater the offense to Bean. Just better make sure he gets that consistency from Aune, or a transfer, because we won’t be able to switch to that running threat anymore.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I saw Bean execute zone-read options and he was NOT GOOD at it. Bean usually lost yardage on those plays. He may run like a cheetah in a straight line, but he has the elusiveness of a fire hydrant. The guy gave zero jukes.

Lamar Jackson has an elusiveness similar to Barry Sanders (in addition to great speed).

Bean’s strength as a runner was when the defense had all the receivers covered and he could pull the ball down and run into green space. No one was going to catch him. And he had some amazing gains that way. Not running a zone-read.

I think there's a disconnect, or I'm not explaining something well enough here. 

Littrell's background/expertise is not in zone-read.  Rodriguez's is.   

I went to 1 game's highlights (one in which Bean earned C-USA OPOW honors) and found 2 of the most vanilla zone reads ever that he took to the house.  It's not like Littrell specializes in drawing these up as Rodriguez does.   
Granted, DeAndre Torrey was torching these guys as well that day, so if I were the DE, I'd crash on him too... and I dunno if LAMo has a RB like Torrey, but still.

This took me about 2 minutes to find.  There are probably several more that aren't TDs, but good chunks (and yes, there are likely some where he loses yards too):
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I totally agree with you that Bean's strength is in his straight-line speed.  I'm definitely not arguing that Bean can move like Jackson.  I'm just saying, in the right system (not an Air Raid derivative), he could produce a lot more of these types of plays.  And I think LAMo would be one of those systems now. 
Would Pat White be a better comp?  I don't think he had a ton of wiggle.   But he was Rodriguez's crown jewel QB, throwing for close to 2000yds and rushing for over 1000yds every year.   Although I'm pretty sure Bean could eclipse White's numbers in a full 12-game schedule in today's hurry-up style offenses.

After all that typing, I went back and looked at Jackson's #'s...   Holy Smokes, nevermind!   I don't think Bean can throw for over 3500yds AND run for over 1500yds in a single season... twice.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I wonder  if Aune adopts a more confident mindset with Bean no longer living in his shadow.

I would think so, unless Gilmore/Martin/Khuene make things interesting in Spring/Fall practices.

The 2 QB thing was a huge black eye on Littrell's otherwise pretty nice year calling plays as OC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Anybody else notice all the guys transferring out seem to only be thanking Coach Womack by name?

Seems like a petty dig at Littrell or maybe I'm just reading too much into it

These guys pretty much live with Coach Womack all year.   They likely see him more than any other coach.   I wouldn't take it as a jab if I were Littrell or any of the position coaches getting left out.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Not sure what to think.  Part of me wonders if this call was pretty much made by the UTEP game.  That, as many have said, was about the quickest of hooks ever executed.  That said, why wait this long to announce that you’re transferring?

For a sophomore he definitely showed flashes.  Between Bean and Aune I preferred Aune early, but by the end of the season leaned more toward Bean.  Neither are Mason Fine, but then not many are.  Thought he could’ve had a good career here and wish him well ...

...unless he follows Tre-tor Siggers to dirty schmoo.  

SMU gets WAY better QBs out of the transfer portal than Jason Bean. LOL.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I had concerns about Bean after he committed to us prior to his senior year of HS and then was beat out for the starting job.

I don’t think this is entirely true, but it does seem to be what everyone remembers.

Bean threw for 1,308 yards his senior year against 944 yards for Rogers (the other QB who signed with USM the next year). Bean threw more passes and had more yards so I don’t think it’s completely accurate to say that he got beat out.

Seemed somewhat similar to Bean and Aune this year, where Bean was the guy with the most snaps in both cases.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

So our starting QB is going to be 28 years old this season.... I like it 

I’m not convinced of this. I imagine Gilmore and the Drummond kid will give him a good push for the starting nod. Bean likely looked at the number of scholarship quarterbacks on the roster and thought his tape/stats looked good enough to catch on someplace else.

I was in Bean’s corner, because I thought he had the skills and added the dimension of running threat to the offense. I became very frustrated with his reads or lack there of. He reminds me of Riley Dodge that should have been at WR not QB(IMHP didn’t have the arm) just an old man’s thoughts that had been going to games and ticket holder since 1970.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think there's a disconnect, or I'm not explaining something well enough here. 

Littrell's background/expertise is not in zone-read.  Rodriguez's is.   

I went to 1 game's highlights (one in which Bean earned C-USA OPOW honors) and found 2 of the most vanilla zone reads ever that he took to the house.  It's not like Littrell specializes in drawing these up as Rodriguez does.   
Granted, DeAndre Torrey was torching these guys as well that day, so if I were the DE, I'd crash on him too... and I dunno if LAMo has a RB like Torrey, but still.

This took me about 2 minutes to find.  There are probably several more that aren't TDs, but good chunks (and yes, there are likely some where he loses yards too):
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I totally agree with you that Bean's strength is in his straight-line speed.  I'm definitely not arguing that Bean can move like Jackson.  I'm just saying, in the right system (not an Air Raid derivative), he could produce a lot more of these types of plays.  And I think LAMo would be one of those systems now. 
Would Pat White be a better comp?  I don't think he had a ton of wiggle.   But he was Rodriguez's crown jewel QB, throwing for close to 2000yds and rushing for over 1000yds every year.   Although I'm pretty sure Bean could eclipse White's numbers in a full 12-game schedule in today's hurry-up style offenses.

After all that typing, I went back and looked at Jackson's #'s...   Holy Smokes, nevermind!   I don't think Bean can throw for over 3500yds AND run for over 1500yds in a single season... twice.  

So in general I agree, but comparing his game from MTSU is very bad. MTSU is horrid, and if Bean is looking like Vick running the ball, it’s very padded.