Jason Bean has entered the portal

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I thought he had potential. He needed to be utilized to his skillset IMO. naked boots to strong side HB crossing through the LOS for easy dump offs and likes. Just very high % throws while moving the pocket. That's not really SL's philosophy though. SL is from the pool of coaches that wants a shotgun pocket passers that reads the defense pre-snap and knows who "should" be getting the ball before he snaps it. That's not Bean's skillset and that's OK. Bean should find a place to go and has a shot to be very good. 

Agree.   I was rooting for him to fit here though.

I think his game would THRIVE (like, Lamar Jackson #s) at LAMo with RichRod & his zone read scheme running the show.    If I'm Bean, that's the first call I make.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

So our starting QB is going to be 28 years old this season.... I like it 

If you were Austin Aune, wouldn’t you rather QB a college football team than having a job filling out TPS reports? 

Aune got a $1M bonus from the Yankees in 2012. If he is smart, after taxes and normal life expenses, he still has around $300K of that money. 

That net worth is way more than most 28-year-olds in the workforce. He’s still way ahead in $$$ even if he plays college football beyond age 30.

Plus, he is from Argyle so his parents are probably rich. 

Keep playing Austin! 

• Upvote 2

I don't understand so many that seem to think losing Bean is no big deal or it even makes the team better.  Too many QB's, so it is good to get rid of one of two experienced ones. 

More concerned with how he looked on the sideline or how he played in high school, than they are losing a very good QB.

Aune and Beam QB's ratings were actually close, Aune 148.38, Ben 144.97

The difference is that Bean rushed for 346 yards at a 6.2 ypc versus Aune at 29 yards and 1.1 ypc

Those that think Littrell wants a more stay in the pocket passer, might considered if that was the case why did he play Bean so much last year. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

If you were Austin Aune, wouldn’t you rather QB a college football team than having a job filling out TPS reports? 

Aune got a $1M bonus from the Yankees in 2012. If he is smart, after taxes and normal life expenses, he still has around $300K of that money. 

That net worth is way more than most 28-year-olds in the workforce. He’s still way ahead in $$$ even if he plays college football beyond age 30.

Plus, he is from Argyle so his parents are probably rich. 

Keep playing Austin! 

Oh I have no issue with it at all. Regardless of whether Bean is here or not I want Aune starting between the two. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Bean was fun to watch and boy is he fast.

You can’t compare him to Lamar Jackson though, because Bean has ZERO elusiveness. 

Bean never could earn the starting QB job in high school and he couldn’t hold on to it at North Texas. 

How much would having a real QB coach to learn from and build a relationship with have helped Bean this season. 

I don’t really see Bean as a FBS starter but will be interested to see how his career unfolds. I have a suspicion we have already seen it’s peak.

I didn't say Bean's skills would change.   I'm saying his numbers would skyrocket.   

Yes, I can compare the two when we're talking about Rich Rod's zone-read offense (I believe Rich Rod runs something like 2/3 of the time statistically... and 1/3 of those running plays, it's the QB running).  He'd have a ton more carries.
Heck, if you take out the UTEP game where Bean was in for 1 fumbled snap, he ran for over 350yds (at 6.4yds/carry!) & 5 TDs, in 7 games...  IN AN AIR RAID SYSTEM!   And he was only in for 1/2 (or less) of a lot of those games.

Everyone was saying Lamar was going to have to move to WR in the NFL (a lot like folks around here said Bean would have to move to WR here).   If he can find the right fit, he'll be just fine.   I wish him the best.

• Upvote 5

Of all the losses we've had, this one hits the hardest. It's a QB with stats, for goodness sake.

As frustrating as it looked at times, that QB tandem was good, and we were lucky we could flip back and forth between Aune and Bean.

Having unknowns behind Aune isn't ideal (from a fan perspective who doesn't know what we have coming in).

Maybe one of the newbies is great? I hope so, but it's not something we can count on. But I REALLY hope so.

If y'all didn't like his attitude, then go and keep a Kason Martin dancing b-roll on standby for any time you feel a little offended.

There's only so much scattershootin' on the field my little football heart can take.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Also,   I think it's another testament to Littrell's offense that several people are happy to see a guy who racked up all kinds of accolades all season transfer out.   

Usually, we would all be very upset & flipping out to see a starting Sophomore QB that was C-USA Offensive Player of the Week a couple times check out.   
Instead, many are happy to see a QB competition (which would usually be a HUGE CONCERN) this Spring.

We really need Bennett to be the answer our defense needs.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I didn't say Bean's skills would change.   I'm saying his numbers would skyrocket.   

Yes, I can compare the two when we're talking about Rich Rod's zone-read offense (I believe Rich Rod runs something like 2/3 of the time statistically... and 1/3 of those running plays, it's the QB running).  He'd have a ton more carries.
Heck, if you take out the UTEP game where Bean was in for 1 fumbled snap, he ran for over 350yds (at 6.4yds/carry!) & 5 TDs, in 7 games...  IN AN AIR RAID SYSTEM!   And he was only in for 1/2 (or less) of a lot of those games.

Everyone was saying Lamar was going to have to move to WR in the NFL (a lot like folks around here said Bean would have to move to WR here).   If he can find the right fit, he'll be just fine.   I wish him the best.

I saw Bean execute zone-read options and he was NOT GOOD at it. Bean usually lost yardage on those plays. He may run like a cheetah in a straight line, but he has the elusiveness of a fire hydrant. The guy gave zero jukes.

Lamar Jackson has an elusiveness similar to Barry Sanders (in addition to great speed).

Bean’s strength as a runner was when the defense had all the receivers covered and he could pull the ball down and run into green space. No one was going to catch him. And he had some amazing gains that way. Not running a zone-read.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1