Jason Bean has entered the portal

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Hope the kid finds what he’s looking for. But his body language when he was taken out of games was HORRIBLE. 

Exactly. Terrible body language and never showed any sort of emotion on the sideline. 
SEE YA!

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 12

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering - Is he enrolled this semester? If he is does he stay or take off? I wonder if UNT continues to pay their way after they request out as a rule, or if it is decided on a player by player review?

The scholarship renewals are for the entire academic school year 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The scholarship renewals are for the entire academic school year 

I could be wrong, but under NCAA rules I believe once a player request into the portal the school is under no requirement to maintain financial support. 

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/

image.png.dfd509d2ee1802216cd77c2256385cda.png

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

So all of these transfers are competing with the incoming high school recruits and JUCO recruits for one of the 25 new scholarships each school gets every year? Seems like the math won’t add up. 

Each year many players who hit the portal are left without scholarship offers. Many end up walking on at other schools or dropping down Divisions

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I could be wrong, but under NCAA rules I believe once a player request into the portal the school is under no requirement to maintain financial support. 

image.png.dfd509d2ee1802216cd77c2256385cda.png

I think that’s more with regards to the next year and filling spots on the 85-man limit. Renewals, or the decision to not renew for the next school year, have to be done by July 1st. His scholarship for this school year was renewed at that point.

https://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/scholarships

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I thought he had potential. He needed to be utilized to his skillset IMO. naked boots to strong side HB crossing through the LOS for easy dump offs and likes. Just very high % throws while moving the pocket. That's not really SL's philosophy though. SL is from the pool of coaches that wants a shotgun pocket passers that reads the defense pre-snap and knows who "should" be getting the ball before he snaps it. That's not Bean's skillset and that's OK. Bean should find a place to go and has a shot to be very good. 

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

He was a weapon.  I wish we could have found more creative ways to utilize him, but maybe he didn't want to be moved away from QB.

Best wishes to Bean.

This. Our offense just doesn't suit his QB style.

No chance he comes back now. No one is going to trust a QB that looks like they are quitting on their team by entering the portal. 

• Upvote 4