Jim Gush New LB coach

TheReal_jayD

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

@BillySee58@GrandGreen

Perhaps you guys could point me in the right direction but I can’t recall ever reading anything that the staff did anything other than let the legal process play out. Some folks wanted players kicked out of the program before the legal process played out but I don’t recall reading anything that football staff covered up assault. I d remember the title 9 folks messed up royally as well as some of the university administrators.

This is why I said they had plausible deniability and my hope is just that proper vetting process occurred. It was a widespread issue and lawsuits alleged at least 31 players were accused.

This is still ongoing, which I think a lot of people don’t realize. Baylor is still being taken to court over withholding documents and met with an NCAA Committee just a month ago regarding the matter.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30518346/baylor-bears-officials-scheduled-appear-ncaa-committee-infractions-sexual-assault-scandal

The month before that Baylor was given a court order to overturn documents from the law firm Pepper Hamilton. They have clearly attempted to drag this process out as long as possible. My point is now that we have hired two more assistant coaches involved in the program at the time, we better have done our homework that their names won’t pop up here as more information may come out in the immediate future.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Galen will not return. Bennett is bringing his guys in

It sounds like PB will have full run on the Defensive side of the ball. Yes, Seth is still in charge and will oversee everything, but Bennett will be making the X's & O's decisions. I think will reinforce seth staying the OC. Will be interesting to see what happens at QB coach. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

@BillySee58@GrandGreen

Perhaps you guys could point me in the right direction but I can’t recall ever reading anything that the staff did anything other than let the legal process play out. Some folks wanted players kicked out of the program before the legal process played out but I don’t recall reading anything that football staff covered up assault. I d remember the title 9 folks messed up royally as well as some of the university administrators.

Well, I know baby Briles' name came up in it. Yet, his coaching career didn't miss a beat. Something about gender + color of skin + Baylor + loving football players. But, hell, Tom Herman took recruits to the strip club and nothing came of it. So, there's that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Definitely encouraged after listening to that.  I just hope people give it some time.  We should see improvement toward the end of the season, but he’s not coming in and completely turning us into a dominant defense overnight. 

My wife being a Baylor grad meant that I watched most of their games.  He’s only looking to get a couple of stops a game...just enough to allow our offense to squeak out wins.  Half of this board is gonna hate it.  Hopefully the wins that follow will calm them down.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Definitely encouraged after listening to that.  I just hope people give it some time.  We should see improvement toward the end of the season, but he’s not coming in and completely turning us into a dominant defense overnight. 

My wife being a Baylor grad meant that I watched most of their games.  He’s only looking to get a couple of stops a game...just enough to allow our offense to squeak out wins.  Half of this board is gonna hate it.  Hopefully the wins that follow will calm them down.

We don't need a dominant defense at all.    We simply need a good defense.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We don't need a dominant defense at all.    We simply need a good defense.

Actually I think an average defense would suffice if Seth can figure out how to get the offense moving a lot earlier in games. 

• Upvote 1

Bennett: Love the hire.  I remember his defenses at K-State under Snyder more than what he did at Baylor. 

Regarding BU, I have family in the Waco area and their assessment of the Briles situation is that the BOR sold their soul to becoming a successful program.  The BOR along with McCaw basically used Briles as a scapegoat, but I find it hard to believe that he didn't have any knowledge.  Nothing has ever been mentioned about the assistants other than they could have been an easy target to get rid of, but it became quite obvious that these problems were overlooked from the top.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Anyone who hears this, and remembers Skladany, shouldn't just assume that 65-ish year olds are tired or unemotional.

I see Skladany getting thrown around alot... especially regarding age-comparison, which is fair.

But we need to remember that Skladany inherited one of the best defensive players in NT history in Zach Orr, as well as some very nice players in Trice, Akunne, Bellazin, Lee, etc...     

Prior to Skladany was DeLoach's second stint here & our defense was not good, but we knew we had good players in those guys above (well, hope in Trice because he wasn't here yet, or was sitting out).    I don't think we have a dude like Orr on this team.  Do we at least have the Trice/Akunne/Bellazin-type guys?  Last year's defense was so awful, it's hard to tell.

I think Novil is one of those guys, but he has been swallowed up by double/triple-teams on every down so far during his career here.  Bennett has to find ways to free him up some to wreck shop in the backfield.   
I think Stout can be a Kemon Hall-type player for us (if not better), just based on his early returns last year prior to injury.
I'm excited to see how Bennett fits the Murphys in, and I think he'll be able to scheme McCrae into some better opportunities to make plays on the edge.   Other players making jumps would be a pleasant surprise to me.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

This is why I said they had plausible deniability and my hope is just that proper vetting process occurred. It was a widespread issue and lawsuits alleged at least 31 players were accused.

This is still ongoing, which I think a lot of people don’t realize. Baylor is still being taken to court over withholding documents and met with an NCAA Committee just a month ago regarding the matter.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30518346/baylor-bears-officials-scheduled-appear-ncaa-committee-infractions-sexual-assault-scandal

The month before that Baylor was given a court order to overturn documents from the law firm Pepper Hamilton. They have clearly attempted to drag this process out as long as possible. My point is now that we have hired two more assistant coaches involved in the program at the time, we better have done our homework that their names won’t pop up here as more information may come out in the immediate future.

Thanks @BillySee58

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, I know baby Briles' name came up in it. Yet, his coaching career didn't miss a beat. Something about gender + color of skin + Baylor + loving football players. But, hell, Tom Herman took recruits to the strip club and nothing came of it. So, there's that. 

I remember that too. I also remember something about big Briles saying something “those are some bad dudes, why would she hang out with them” but don’t remember the context. I do remember that essentially every single person on that Baylor staff found employment after that fiasco not problem except for Art Briles himself. Hell, Texas itself hired one. https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/2017/05/25/ut-must-fire-former-baylor-assistant-coach-casey-horny/

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I remember that too. I also remember something about big Briles saying something “those are some bad dudes, why would she hang out with them” but don’t remember the context. I do remember that essentially every single person on that Baylor staff found employment after that fiasco not problem except for Art Briles himself. Hell, Texas itself hired one. https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/2017/05/25/ut-must-fire-former-baylor-assistant-coach-casey-horny/

My understanding is that 100% of them found employment at other universities, and the scandal has not followed. Both Gush and PB have long track records at other schools before this where there were also no issues. That SI piece linked about PB was excellent, I wasn't aware of that story about his wife.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 1