DRC: UNT wide receiver Austin Ogunmakin enters the transfer portal

Brett Vito

33 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

How else could he relay this information to his readers that would make you not come away with this impression?

It is all he posts on here.  Does he link anything about the basketball program, men's or women's?

Edit: I just checked and stand corrected.  He did post the link regarding Larry Wise entering the portal, but no links about any of our games.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It is all he posts on here.  Does he link anything about the basketball program, men's or women's?

Edit: I just checked and stand corrected.  He did post the link regarding Larry Wise entering the portal, but no links about any of our games.

Football is the most high-profile sport from a coverage standpoint and he’s covering relevant topics regarding the sport. Pretty standard procedure. Brune covers it too, and I would expect any beat writer of any CFB to do the same.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Football is the most high-profile sport from a coverage standpoint and he’s covering relevant topics regarding the sport. Pretty standard procedure. Brune covers it too, and I would expect any beat writer of any CFB to do the same.

So, he reports Larry Wise entering the "portal" but doesn't report, or link his reports, on either basketball team during basketball season?  Brune has time to do that.  He is the beat writer for UNT athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So, he reports Larry Wise entering the "portal" but doesn't report, or link his reports, on either basketball team during basketball season?  Brune has time to do that.  He is the beat writer for UNT athletics.

I’m not the one policing Vito’s posts. Just don’t understand why reporting on players transferring would be seen as anything other than the standard.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

This dude would likely have been the new featured WR in an offense that just had its’ featured WR lead the country in TDs, earn All-American honors and be a high projected NFL draft pick. I don’t get it.

@Unclementioned the pre-spring interviews. I would imagine he was still behind Shorter and Simpson and his interview indicated as such, or else I agree it wouldn’t make much sense for him to leave.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

@Unclementioned the pre-spring interviews. I would imagine he was still behind Shorter and Simpson and his interview indicated as such, or else I agree it wouldn’t make much sense for him to leave.

Along those lines I believe the incoming class has possible starters or at least number 2s. Drops suck!

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Even if that was the case, does nobody take that as a challenge these days?  He was out performing all but Darden by the end of the season.  Shorter has not been able to stay healthy.  I don’t understand this one at all.  Has to be something we’re not hearing about and I’m very interested to see where he lands. 

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not true about the pre spring interviews. I’m hearing it’s a culture problem and players are not happy with the directions the program is going. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not as concerned about the NT players transferring out as much as why isn't NT getting transfers to come to Denton.

NT has a continuing increase in ship openings, just fill them with better players than they are losing. 

How many scholarships do we have available now? What is the cut off time to enter portal? Thanks

14 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

How many scholarships do we have available now? What is the cut off time to enter portal? Thanks

A team can have up to 110 players on football scholarship next year.  I don't think there is a limit on how many can be signed in a year.  

The issue is I don't think it has been announced what future limits will be.  A return to old limits or a phase in period of higher numbers over years to get back to 25 a year and 85 total 

The financial burden and facilities will limit a lot of programs.  Also the bigs ability to sign all these extra players will dilute the player pool for G5's.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

Not true about the pre spring interviews. I’m hearing it’s a culture problem and players are not happy with the directions the program is going. 

At least one position group has absolutely received pre-spring evaluations (also got it from the horse’s mouth) so would assume other position groups have too. Whether or not this is what led to any transfers, who knows...

• Upvote 3

But we aren’t getting any extra scholarships! It’s not “lose one, get one”. 

If a kid transfers with two years left, you just lose out on two years of having a scholarship player. 

We only get 25 new scholarships every year no matter how many transfer out. And every transfer in (who gets a scholarship) counts against that 25. Correct? 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

I got it from the horses mouth but OK

I'm grateful for the inside sources some of y'all have.  Feel free to share, but also realize the obvious: one or two people don't necessarily reflect the opinion of the whole.  Additionally, it's my experience that people who "abandon ship" tend to be the ones that make things look worse on their way out than they actually are.

There's nothing I can add to this thread.  1) yes, we see a ton of players leaving and, 2) yes, the recruiting is looking bright.

Appreciate your insight.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4