Austin Ogunmakin enters the portal

26 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

So we have about 5 WRs on the roster now?

Scholarship receivers:

- Deonte Simpson

- Jyaire Shorter

- Bryson Jackson

- Damon Ward

- Detraveon Brown

- Caleb Johnson

- Zhighlil McMillan

So currently 7, counting Loronzo Thompson as a DB at the moment. Also half-expecting Khatib Lyles to get moved back to receiver should he stay. Especially with all of the depth we have at tight end.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Scholarship receivers:

- Deonte Simpson

- Jyaire Shorter

- Bryson Jackson

- Damon Ward

- Detraveon Brown

- Caleb Johnson

- Zhighlil McMillan

So currently 7, counting Loronzo Thompson as a DB at the moment. Also half-expecting Khatib Lyles to get moved back to receiver should he stay. Especially with all of the depth we have at tight end.

Oh yeah I forgot to count the 2 new freshman. I want to see what Lyles can do at WR

• 2 months later...

Although it may not have happened yet, I believe that Finn Corwin will also receive a scholarship.  Also, the roster indicates that Loronzo Thompson has been returned to wide receiver.  Caleb Johnson will be a future starter if he wants to be a receiver (his high rating was as a cornerback).  If the 4* receiver in the transfer portal should want to follow Ruder we could have the strongest and deepest receivers in G5.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

According to his Twitter, he is now at Stephen F Austin. I guess Liberty didn’t work out

I doubt SL was pushing him out the door. Now he is at an FCS.

Can we use this as a cautionary tale that it is risky for student athletes to go into the portal for decent players who haven't really broken through yet. Many of them will not find greener grass.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Can we use this as a cautionary tale that it is risky for student athletes to go into the portal for decent players who haven't really broken through yet. Many of them will not find greener grass.

The high profile transfers make the headlines but the majority of players end up in situation that are not as good as they hoped. There are always a lot of players who get no additional opportunities. 

• Upvote 1

Players hit the transfer portal seemingly every day now and on the surface, that seems like players are really quick to give up on their school and look for greener pastures elsewhere.

“That’s true in some cases, but I think the transfer portal has also convinced college coaches that it’s easier to ask players to move on from their program. When you look at the number of players who enter the portal and don’t find a new home, it’s hard not to wonder if many of those players didn’t have a choice to enter their name into the transfer portal.”
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Doesn’t that make more sense of the idea he may have “pushed” out the door though? He was going to backup Simpson and Shorter if he stayed and him leaving opened up a spot to bring in Tommy Bush. Seemed like it made sense for both parties at the time, still probably does now. 

He’s getting his school paid for and will very likely get the ball much more down there than he would here. I think we’d rather have Tommy Bush and he’d rather get the ball thrown to him more while still getting his school paid for. Again, seems like a win-win rather than a cautionary tale of a bad decision.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1