2021 player hopes...

hickoryhouse

There are two players above all others that have me holding my breath going into 2021.   The Kentucky transfer qb Amani Gilmore and Dion Novil...  assuming he decides to ply another year.

I can’t deal with another year of the Mean Green Bean and Gilmore looks like he could be a huge upgrade.   

Novil has a chance to be a monster with a good coach and a chip on his shoulder.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, hickoryhouse said:

Unless I’m an idiot and Novil has already made his section and I missed it....   

then it’s Gilmore I am stoked about.  

Has Novil declared for the draft? With the extra eligibility this year all players have to declare. I believe the deadline is Monday. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I expect all quarterbacks to be improved for 21. 

This.  Neither Aune nor Bean had spring training and both looked decent for their first year seeing real PT.  If either improves substantially, we'll have one of the better QBs in C-USA.  And if Gilmore, Keuhne, Martin, or Drummond passes them up, that could be an even better sign.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, hickoryhouse said:

There are two players above all others that have me holding my breath going into 2021.   The Kentucky transfer qb Amani Gilmore and Dion Novil...  assuming he decides to ply another year.

Holding your breath on Gilmore might be a little extreme brother.   Hopefully, he has a nice career here and I will certainly be rooting for him along with the others.    But, he will have a lot of competition from Aune, Bean, Drummond and maybe even Martin.    There is some talent, but no real standouts at QB here.

Gilmore has yet to see the field in college, except for some brief action against UT Martin.   This puts him basically in the same boat as true freshman Bryce Drummond.    They are both similar when it comes to their 3* rankings.

FWIW, Aune had a higher ranking than both Drummond and Gilmore coming out of HS/minors.   Bean was a borderline 2/3*

Offense is/was the least of our problems.   We may not have a true #1 QB yet.    But, there is some QB talent on this roster no matter who starts.   Somebody will rise to the top.

Getting Novil back would be a huge and unexpected bonus.   I am certainly not counting on that.   Hard to believe he was a 2* coming out of HS.   Unlike the QB position, we are terribly thin on the DL (as is true with most G5 programs).

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, akriesman said:

Holding your breath on Gilmore might be a little extreme brother.   Hopefully, he has a nice career here and I will certainly be rooting for him along with the others.    But, he will have a lot of competition from Aune, Bean, Drummond and maybe even Martin.    There is some talent, but no real standouts at QB here.

Gilmore has yet to see the field in college, except for some brief action against UT Martin.   This puts him basically in the same boat as true freshman Bryce Drummond.    They are both similar when it comes to their 3* rankings.

FWIW, Aune had a higher ranking than both Drummond and Gilmore coming out of HS/minors.   Bean was a borderline 2/3*

Offense is/was the least of our problems.   We may not have a true #1 QB yet.    But, there is some QB talent on this roster no matter who starts.   Somebody will rise to the top.

Getting Novil back would be a huge and unexpected bonus.   I am certainly not counting on that.   Hard to believe he was a 2* coming out of HS.   Unlike the QB position, we are terribly thin on the DL (as is true with most G5 programs).

You would like to think that the SEC is a good judge of talent at a higher standard. Gilmore was also offered out Tennessee. 247 had him rated 94 as national pro style passer. I’m hoping he can throw like Aune, we know he can run.

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

You would like to think that the SEC is a good judge of talent at a higher standard. Gilmore was also offered out Tennessee. 247 had him rated 94 as national pro style passer. I’m hoping he can throw like Aune, we know he can run.

you would think, but then there are the Feldts of the world.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Not sure where the information is coming from or if that was a typo, but 247 had him rated .8464 (85) as a pro passer.  Now, I would love to see this young man live up to or beyond that rating, but this is not what I have heard.  

• Upvote 1