UNT has Landed Next DC

TheReal_jayD

I imagine you’re just protecting your battered heart which is totally understandable but this is a great hire.  We don’t have to be a brick wall on defense to start winning, we even saw some guys start flying around a bit at times last yr when they were actually in position to make plays.  Now we will be much more organized and Lord willing actually be able to install it this spring. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I imagine you’re just protecting your battered heart which is totally understandable but this is a great hire.  We don’t have to be a brick wall on defense to start winning, we even saw some guys start flying around a bit at times last yr when they were actually in position to make plays.  Now we will be much more organized and Lord willing actually be able to install it this spring. 

I’ll take a defense that can be inside the top 100 in the nation on 3rd down and overall defense.

This is a great hire... are people expecting Tom Herman to come in as our DC? I’m stoked for Bennett. Has been a DC on top 10 team in the last couple years, and has years and years of great experience. We have a well drafted class he can develop, and we can expect him to bring in an even better one. He can run a different scheme, and is someone who has provided results time and time again. I think this is a slam dunk hire for where we are now, and where we can be in the future.

• Upvote 7

Will Bennett be the answer?  

For most G'5s, it is either hire someone that it is thought can grow into the job, or someone on a career downslide. 

If you had to characterize Bennett, it would definitely be someone on the downside.  However that slide was from a hc position.  

I like this hire, it is much better than what most expected.  

He has the experience and has something to prove. 

I already thought the defense would be significantly better, just because it almost had to be and the recruits should be substantial upgrades.   

I now predict a substantially better defense next year.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Will he bring any players with him?

From where? The retirement home? 
Glad we have a seasoned DC, but maybe a little too seasoned? How long to we expect a 65 year old with medical conditions to coach? He hasn’t worked in three years.  
I am not all-in on this hire but I guess we will see. Hope he can turn us around. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

From where? The retirement home? 
Glad we have a seasoned DC, but maybe a little too seasoned? How long to we expect a 65 year old with medical conditions to coach? He hasn’t worked in three years.  
I am not all-in on this hire but I guess we will see. Hope he can turn us around. 

IF Seth lasts longer than this year, I think Bennett will be here for 2, maybe 3 years, then re-retire.