UNT has Landed Next DC

TheReal_jayD

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Thinking we keep Murphy twins at end in a 4-2-5. Only need two second level linebackers so we probably need them more at end from a depth standpoint, and rushing the passer is their most valuable trait. Looks like they’re going to have the size to stick there too.

Gotta love the Murphy twins! That is the attitude we need.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Thinking we keep Murphy twins at end in a 4-2-5. Only need two second level linebackers so we probably need them more at end from a depth standpoint, and rushing the passer is their most valuable trait. Looks like they’re going to have the size to stick there too.

Jeez they’ve gotten huge! Gonna be hard to stop next year for sure, and I hope they’re utilized right.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Damn, and I thought they were undersized ! Way to go coach Womack!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

...I hope they’re utilized right.

This is where I think the new defensive staff will make a big difference...getting people in their best positions.  I think we’ll have a fast, athletic, aggressive defense next season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

It's a good problem to have but if the Murphy twins are the starters at DE we lose our best potential DE (Devonte McCrae) as a starter.  I think that McCrae will be much more effective in a four man line than he was in the three.

Still not convinced it will be a traditional 4-man front. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 1/18/2021 at 1:41 PM, MCMLXXX said:

Spoke with a friend who played for SMU (under Forrest Gregg) who thinks Phil Bennett is a good DC and described him  as "very passionate & a players coach". 

He was surprised by the Siggers transfer because he believes SMU "has a crowded backfield."

When SMU does not have a home game he often comes to UNT games with me and wears green UNT gear and cheers us on.  

Don’t you try to sugar coat you sleeping with the enemy. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Haha 4

I just listened to the Baylor podcast from last week with Bennett. A couple of thoughts. 
On the plus side, I really liked his enthusiasm and seemed to love working with and helping players. Seems to have a genuine desire to help them succeed. Loved what he had to said about great players that didn’t exactly meet the “measurements,” such as Dat Nguyen and Sproles. He will definitely have to find those here. 
On the negative side, I thought he was way too dismissive of the recent Baylor snafu when they hired and then let go a new coach within 24 hours. Was way too quick to dismiss it as “bowing to the current culture” (paraphrasing) and he and the hosts showed some lack of judgment in how they talked about it. Bennett referring to Baylor’s president as “the woman president” showed him out of step with the times. A little too good-old boy for my tastes. I would think after the program there blew up he would understand Baylor can’t afford to bring in problematic staff. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 6

I listened to the pod cast and I feel comfortable with the hire.  I don't think age is an issue and besides if SL leaves after next year we can start all over.  It would be hard to find a top guy when you know the HC is on the hot seat and maybe be gone after next year.   

Bennett has been in that situation before and understands it.  I think our D should be better next year because of him.  I don't think it could be any worse.   I just hope he pulled down some tackling dummies from his attic and will bring them up to Denton.   I think the D needs some drills on tackling.  He said he was going to meet with each D player, has that started and maybe that is why they left????

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2

Fired up about this hire. Bennett is energized, and has tons of knowledge in putting together defenses to guard against a variety of offenses. Love hearing respect for Littrell and what his plans are to create unity amongst the players and the staff. Exciting stuff, and it'll be fun to watch him leverage the talent that has been recruited, and put them into a position to succeed!

From a personnel standpoint, it'll be fun to see how the 4 man DL comes together with some of the younger, talented and larger bodied D Lineman that we have recruited. Guys like McCrae, Pickett, T Johnson, Rausaw, Hutchins, Dotson, J Johnson, Vailea, etc. ought to be primed for tremendous development. Those guys are all going to be taller / heavier D Lineman than what we have had in recent times, and most had multiple P5 offers out of HS or JC. 

The Linebacker position shifts will be fun to watch. How the inside guys versus the edge / space guys are sorted will be interesting. KD Davis is an example of a kid who could be very effective out on the edge and in the flat. Tyreke Davis fits that mold too. The Murphy twins could end up inside with their bigger frames to go along with Nixon, Kroop, Wood, Jacobs, etc. 

Looking forward to seeing how this group comes together and gets us to the point where we can hold teams at or under 30ppg! 

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Fired up about this hire. Bennett is energized, and has tons of knowledge in putting together defenses to guard against a variety of offenses. Love hearing respect for Littrell and what his plans are to create unity amongst the players and the staff. Exciting stuff, and it'll be fun to watch him leverage the talent that has been recruited, and put them into a position to succeed!

From a personnel standpoint, it'll be fun to see how the 4 man DL comes together with some of the younger, talented and larger bodied D Lineman that we have recruited. Guys like McCrae, Pickett, T Johnson, Rausaw, Hutchins, Dotson, J Johnson, Vailea, etc. ought to be primed for tremendous development. Those guys are all going to be taller / heavier D Lineman than what we have had in recent times, and most had multiple P5 offers out of HS or JC. 

The Linebacker position shifts will be fun to watch. How the inside guys versus the edge / space guys are sorted will be interesting. KD Davis is an example of a kid who could be very effective out on the edge and in the flat. Tyreke Davis fits that mold too. The Murphy twins could end up inside with their bigger frames to go along with Nixon, Kroop, Wood, Jacobs, etc. 

Looking forward to seeing how this group comes together and gets us to the point where we can hold teams at or under 30ppg! 

Dude your posts get me fired up!  Keep em coming!  GMG

9 hours ago, DentonStang said:

SMU's DC just went to Illinois.  Word is Bennett is interviewing for the DC opening. Have you heard anything like that on your side?

In observing some of your pretty good trolling since you’ve been around here I’ve got to say I’m pretty disappointed in this effort.  You’re better than this. 

• Upvote 2