UNT has Landed Next DC

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

That said, I would assume that he will not be the carrying recruiting -traveling and social media all the time- and that this will have to be done by someone else.

My guess on who the someone else is, is Ekeler. Remember he found Ejiya. I think Ek is probably a helluva a recruiter when it comes to recognizing and getting defensive talent. I see Bennett working with him to find the talent and Ek going out and recruiting said talent. Maybe Ek learns how to be a better DC under PB and then takes over once PB retires for good. Plus Ek has tremendous energy.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Phil Bennett has forgotten more about football than anyone on this board has ever known. 

And he will literally tell you that when you question any of his poor-outcome decisions at booster functions.

You related to Cougar Queen by chance?

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

My guess on who the someone else is, is Ekeler. Remember he found Ejiya. I think Ek is probably a helluva a recruiter when it comes to recognizing and getting defensive talent. I see Bennett working with him to find the talent and Ek going out and recruiting said talent. Maybe Ek learns how to be a better DC under PB and then takes over once PB retires for good. Plus Ek has tremendous energy.

This is a good question. I don’t know if the rules have changed, but I seem to recall there is a limit on how many coaches can go out recruiting. Maybe this was just spin or my fuzzy memory but I thought there were one or two position coaches/coordinator that didn’t have recruiting responsibilities. 
Does that sound family to anyone else? 
Upon hearing about this hire, I immediately assumed he wouldn’t be a recruiter.

42 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

This is a good question. I don’t know if the rules have changed, but I seem to recall there is a limit on how many coaches can go out recruiting. Maybe this was just spin or my fuzzy memory but I thought there were one or two position coaches/coordinator that didn’t have recruiting responsibilities. 
Does that sound family to anyone else? 
Upon hearing about this hire, I immediately assumed he wouldn’t be a recruiter.

I don’t know the rules, but I think you’re on the right track.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge can enlighten us.

30 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

....and is this the best opportunity for him to resume coaching after doing rehab, or are we the only ones willing to take a chance on him and his health issues?

He's coaching because he wants to, not because he has to. He said he wouldn't come back for any other coach than Seth. 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

....and is this the best opportunity for him to resume coaching after doing rehab, or are we the only ones willing to take a chance on him and his health issues?

Even with his health issues Herm Edwards had asked him to stay at Arizona. Sounds like he has had had offers. Seems UNT job was the "right" fit - Working with Seth and being in Texas. Seems he was also impressed with facilities and commitment from the Administration. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dk79 said:

If Coach Bennett plans to run this scheme, I'm good with it. If he "plans" to blitz a S or CB on every play...I'm REALLY good with it!

Screen_Shot_2017_01_16_at_2.08.02_PM.png

But again, is this a true 4-man front?  It still looks like 3 down linemen to me.  I'm fine with it, but the way formations are labeled these days has more to do with nomenclature and less to do with traditional positional functions.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

But again, is this a true 4-man front?  It still looks like 3 down linemen to me.  I'm fine with it, but the way formations are labeled these days has more to do with nomenclature and less to do with traditional positional functions.

It actually would have even less bulk upfront with a DB blitzing instead of the third LB. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

He has turned down multiple P5 offers since he stepped away from the game. He even let Oregon slip in the interview. Some of the offers were for more than what our HC makes. I truly believe he is coming back for several reason.

1) He truly thinks the world of Seth and knows his potential

2) Missed the game of football

3) Thinks we are just a good defense away from taking the next step. And he believes he can get us there

Hearing him talk I believe he will not only help Seth by improving his defense. But also help him develop in to an even better coach.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

It actually would have even less bulk upfront with a DB blitzing instead of the third LB. 

But it would guarantee that one, or both, or neither (instead a LB) would be coming every down.    No more 3-man rushes, unless we're in a prevent or something where a 3-man rush would be the right call.

11 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I'm thinking the 4th person would very based on what the opponent is running. In run-heavy situations you would see more of a traditional LB with a more traditional Safety type in pass situations. I think we will see a lot of blitzing, both in passing situations and blitzing to stop the run. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

would love to see a front 6 of something like:

McCrae-SDE,Leblanc/Novil/Johnson DT, Murphy boys - WDE

Tyreke and the Kropp kid at LB.

gives you speed with Tyreke and Murphy twins and size/power with everyone else

K.D.?

• Upvote 2

I like the 4-2-5 even in this setup. It's a buck/star or some similar variation of the word. Depending the offense we're playing or the situational scenario, that will dictate who that 4th DL is. Most often times it'll be a stand up guy and usually  a LB type. Unless we're playing a Texas Tech type, then it'll be a hybrid player (SS/LB) to have a little more speed. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He has turned down multiple P5 offers since he stepped away from the game. He even let Oregon slip in the interview. Some of the offers were for more than what our HC makes. I truly believe he is coming back for several reason.

1) He truly thinks the world of Seth and knows his potential

2) Missed the game of football

3) Thinks we are just a good defense away from taking the next step. And he believes he can get us there

Hearing him talk I believe he will not only help Seth by improving his defense. But also help him develop in to an even better coach.

Also, being about 3 hours from his home was part of it.  Doesn't sound like he would have taken the job if Seth was HC at Cal. 

• Thanks 1