UNT has Landed Next DC

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Great experience. 

My concerns...

1. Been out the game 3 years. 

2. Is there a fire burning in his stomach still? Or are we just booster shot into retirement? 

To point number 2, I don’t think he’s hurting for money.  Coaching life is hard...moving, scrutiny, etc.  Especially the situation he’s stepping into, I don’t think you do that unless your stomach wants the fight. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

To point number 2, I don’t think he’s hurting for money.  Coaching life is hard...moving, scrutiny, etc.  Especially the situation he’s stepping into, I don’t think you do that unless you’re stomach wants the fight. 

One would think and hope that. Time will tell. 

This is also a detriment to recruiting. I have never heard of a veteran coach enjoying recruiting. It's beyond them and the current recruiting climate pisses off the old timers, I've read. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

From where? The retirement home? 
Glad we have a seasoned DC, but maybe a little too seasoned? How long to we expect a 65 year old with medical conditions to coach? He hasn’t worked in three years.  
I am not all-in on this hire but I guess we will see. Hope he can turn us around. 

you were late to the party on this one but thanks for piling on......lol

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I would think he brings some of his former position coaches from ASU and Baylor

If we can pay them enough, which I’m not sure we can. Bringing a dude out of retirement is one thing. Hiring position coaches away from P5 schools to serve the same role at a G5 is a whole other challenge. 

Count me in the scheme of fairly optimistic with the hire. Bennett has tons of experience.

I would hope the following would occur because Seth played for Bennett and the relationship that develops because of that player/coach dynamic:

1. Seth will improve his head coaching game. And, Seth will seek the advice of Bennett since Bennett has had previous head coaching experience. I hope Seth will use Bennett as an asset to become an even better head coach. I hope that motivates Seth to "not disappoint" his former coach and the person he hired to be on his staff.

2. I hope Bennett will feel comfortable telling Seth the good, the bad, and the ugly about how he is doing things. That is, now a staff member, I hope he can provide advice on whatever he thinks should be done for the program to be successful in all three phases.

I don't think Bennett needed North Texas and to unretire from retirement. I do think North Texas needed a new DC and I hope Bennett is the answer. If 1 and 2 above happen, then the program will move forward.

• Upvote 2

We just hired a very successful P5 DC !  His years out of football and age concerns, I would say look at Mac Brown. He is very energetic and hands on. I look forward to his position coach hires and I believe he will make Seth a better coach. A few DC’s ago we had an older gentleman that wouldn’t recruit and he did great! GMG 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

One would think and hope that. Time will tell. 

This is also a detriment to recruiting. I have never heard of a veteran coach enjoying recruiting. It's beyond them and the current recruiting climate pisses off the old timers, I've read. 

A coach that really enjoys recruiting would be very rare.

Not sure what has changed in recruiting that "old timers" don't like.

A verteren coach should be a great asset in recruiting.  He will have several defensive coaches under his direction, he probably will be a recruiting closer; not someone who spends massive time on the road.

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Great experience. 

My concerns...

1. Been out the game 3 years. 

2. Is there a fire burning in his stomach still? Or are we just booster shot into retirement? 

Why would he need a booster shot into retirement?   He had basically retired, now he obviously wants back in coaching. 

He is an assistant coach, his tenure at NT is tied to as long as Littrell is NT's hc. and the job he does. 

Yes, he may want to retire in a couple of years, I don't see that as a big negative. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I mean isn’t 65 the new 55?🧐
On Wednesday a “66” yo Delaware’ian will most likely take the oath.

I think Seth Littrell hiring Phil Bennett is genius.  
I admired PB (from a distance) when he was coaching on Mockingbird Lane, University Park. In fact, I can’t remember North Texas ever hiring any assistant coach who was both a former FBS HFC & P5 DC.  
This could get fun & fun real fast. We should all be elated. We now have a course for the defense with focused recruiting for same.

••• Bonus:  Texas HS football coaches throughout the Lone Star State know & respect who Phil Bennett is. 

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Bennett needs to walk into recruit. houses and pitch his 2014 squad.  Tell them stories about that run.

I actually understand some of the concerns about Bennett's age.  I just choose to be optimistic, because there is reason for hope.  Remember, we don't need him to be an all-world guy, or even the best in CUSA.  I have to think you just need a guy with the wisdom that comes with experience, give him a budget, and hope that he actually cares.  I don't think CB really put his heart into our D unit last year.

We have a much better record if we can get our average PPG allowed down to 25-30 in 2021.

• Upvote 5