Tre Siggers transferring to SMU

WanderingEagle

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Siggers was the best rb on NT's team.   I don't know why some want to sugar-coat this player loss.  Adaway may develop into a better runner and has more size and speed. 

Luckedly, NT is deep at rb.  

If Siggers stayed and was injury-free, he would have got plenty of carries at NT.   

SMU wouldn't bother with him, if they fell he wouldn't help their team.   

I really liked Siggers but no way man, Adaway has something special to him. They are the same style but Adaway has more wiggle. Would've been a nice tandem but Torrey and Adaway along with the freshman RB, we'll be fine.

• Upvote 6

When I first read this I was very disappointed/concerned, but after taking time to think about it (and read some good opinions here), I’m not too concerned.  I think the only way we really miss him a lot is if we have injury issues that deplete our depth.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I doubt that, he was the toughest runner NT had.  This is based on observation not stats.

I will add some stats, Siggers and NT's last two games; Siggers had missed with injury nearly all of 3 games before that.

Against UTEP

Adaway 97 yds 3.7 ypc

Siggers 120 yds 7.1 ypc

Against App. St.

Adaway 67 yds 4.3 ypc

Siggers 96 yds 6.3 ypc

I hope that Adaway and others make NT fans forget Siggers, but Adaway in his freshman year was not better than a healthy Siggers.

Everybody has opinions, but if Siggers was returning to NT; I believe most would consider him the best returning back. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

31 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

This board always over estimates our "stable." I hate that term. These aren't animals, but I digress. I hope there is some tempering in the preseason talk. We will miss Tre.

I really doubt the running backs dislike being referred to as animals, nor beasts, bulldozers, trucks, thunder, lightning, plows, trains, or the like. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I will add some stats, Siggers and NT's last two games; Siggers had missed with injury nearly all of 3 games before that.

Against UTEP

Adaway 97 yds 3.7 ypc

Siggers 120 yds 7.1 ypc

Against App. St.

Adaway 67 yds 4.3 ypc

Siggers 96 yds 6.3 ypc

I hope that Adaway and others make NT fans forget Siggers, but Adaway in his freshman year was not better than a healthy Siggers.

Everybody has opinions, but if Siggers was returning to NT; I believe most would consider him the best returning back. 

Exactly. A lot of sour grapes going on to convince themselves that this wasn’t as big a loss as it was. Siggers was running the ball better than any of our backs once he got back.

Would he have been our best back next year? Obviously can’t know for sure but there is an easy argument to him being our best back, AND we have a good group still. Both can be true.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BillySee58 said:

Exactly. A lot of sour grapes going on to convince themselves that this wasn’t as big a loss as it was. Siggers was running the ball better than any of our backs once he got back.

Would he have been our best back next year? Obviously can’t know for sure but there is an easy argument to him being our best back, AND we have a good group still. Both can be true.

So it's safe to say, that next season, to go ahead and cover the comments 😈

• If we do well - He was not missed - Seth had a plan
  • If we do poor - If only Tre had not left we would have been good - Seth Sucks
  • If Tre has a bad year - Seth had a plan and knew
  • If Tre does well at SMU - Why did we let him go - Seth sucks

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Other than when NT plays SMU, I doubt Siggers progress will mean much to most of the board next year

It is off-season, and fans have two big events to digest, Bennett and Siggers

The most important thing going on now is basketball and thus far both NT teams are doing well 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You nailed it!

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I know this is sarcasm on how narratives can be framed, but at the end of the day RB is pretty low in terms of VAR (value above replacement) type discrepancy.

If we aren’t good enough it’s going to be much easier to tie the failures back towards defense and quarterback play. As long as that gets taken care of it should, Siggers will be an afterthought like Bussey was this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I know this is sarcasm on how narratives can be framed, but at the end of the day RB is pretty low in terms of VAR (value above replacement) type discrepancy.

If we aren’t good enough it’s going to be much easier to tie the failures back towards defense and quarterback play. As long as that gets taken care of it should, Siggers will be an afterthought like Bussey was this season.

Very valid opinion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.

While the defection of Siggers is mentioned on Ponyfans, the “big time transfer” they refer to is Grant Calcutta from Oklahoma.  Some there question if he will be a significant addition to the corps of RB at Southern Meth.

GO MEAN GREEN

The problem with many of the ponyboys.com posters is they would do almost anything before they acknowledged a play from UNT could/will help them. It's like when they order their "adult" online supplies- they are hoping it will be good, but they don't share their enthusiasm publically 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem with many of the ponyboys.com posters is they would do almost anything before they acknowledged a play from UNT could/will help them. It's like when they order their "adult" online supplies- they are hoping it will be good, but they don't share their enthusiasm publically 

I strongly recommend avoiding ponyfans.com. All the rational and sane fans have moved to the SMU 247 site. If you are a paying member of a 247 site I recommend you go there. 

There is some questions over Siggers because he is less proven on our level than some other P5 targets, but nobody has any problem admitting that when you have a strong players that can help us, we'd love to farm your team for transfers and maintain that pipeline.  He certainly ran all over us and looks talented. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

I strongly recommend avoiding ponyfans.com. All the rational and sane fans have moved to the SMU 247 site. If you are a paying member of a 247 site I recommend you go there. 

There is some questions over Siggers because he is less proven on our level than some other P5 targets, but nobody has any problem admitting that when you have a strong players that can help us, we'd love to farm your team for transfers and maintain that pipeline.  He certainly ran all over us and looks talented. 

On your level? We are on the same level.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1