We've got to keep our composure (DC TIDBIT @ THE BOTTOM)

TheReal_jayD

27 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You have to be able to recruit the state of Texas. It's worked out pretty well for guys like Jeff Traylor 

The HC? I don’t care about Texas connections with our DC. I hardly care about it from an HC. Plenty of coaches get hired that have Texas ties and it serves them little. I just want a coach that can fit a scheme to players, can make adjustments, and can coach up the kids we do have. 

There are plenty of coaches that can come in here and do amazing things regardless of connections. Out of a list of things, that would come in dead last for me if at all. 

Relationships and connections can be established regardless of if you shook hands before or not. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Travis said:

The HC? I don’t care about Texas connections with our DC. I hardly care about it from an HC. Plenty of coaches get hired that have Texas ties and it serves them little. I just want a coach that can fit a scheme to players, can make adjustments, and can coach up the kids we do have. 

There are plenty of coaches that can come in here and do amazing things regardless of connections. Out of a list of things, that would come in dead last for me if at all. 

Relationships and connections can be established regardless of if you shook hands before or not. 

Along these lines the connections thing also gives HS coaches too much credit in influencing their players decisions. Much more often than not it’s more important on convincing their parents than their HS coaches. 

• Upvote 6

I’ll admit, I have been very very critical of the program, but after seeing UNT basketball KICK ASS today I’m ready to be back on the positive train.

Seth needs our support, and hopefully he makes the best hire. Seems like guys are interested here, now we have to win! 
Also, Denton Ryan won the state championship, and DB Ty Marsh won MVP!! He was committed to UH, and I hope NT offers him ASAP!! 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Please tell me it isn't Ruffin Mcneill. Being a DC at Texas Tech shouldn't count on a resume. Leave Ruff at NC State.

Now, Mike Stoops would be a good hire if he wants out of his Bama situation.

Mark Snyder still needs a job too. I'd be good with him.

Am I in the ballpark?

Mark Snyder would be an epic disaster and you can already hire the search firm to find Seth’s replacement who will take over in December.

We could do a lot worse than Ruffin, Bowen was one way, Snyder would be another.

I’d be interested in giving Stoops a chance. I’m not convinced he’d be a home run though seeing as OU thought replacing Venebles with Stoops would be better and then they got worse. But then again Venebles is one of the top DCs in the nation.

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Agree with everything except Siggers. The only RB we can legitimately make an argument is better is Adaway. Siggers looked like the Siggers of old at the end of the season and that’s a legit all-CUSA caliber guy. 

We can’t judge the situation on the current roster. What do we look like come August? That’s what matters.

The easiest position to replace is RB. I liked Siggers too, but you can’t build an offense around him as he has not shown an ability to stay healthy.
I know you think he was freshman Jamario the last few games of the season, and he did look good. But even when he came back from the knee injury he was still missing games. 
I understand that there are unlimited reasons why a player might transfer (many non-football related). But I am curious why Siggers left? 
It was obvious that even if he was third on the depth chart that he would still get a good amount of work here. 
Does he want to go be a feature back somewhere? Who is going to give him that role? I don’t think he can withstand that pounding. Will be interesting to see where he lands. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

The easiest position to replace is RB. I liked Siggers too, but you can’t build an offense around him as he has not shown an ability to stay healthy.
I know you think he was freshman Jamario the last few games of the season, and he did look good. But even when he came back from the knee injury he was still missing games. 
I understand that there are unlimited reasons why a player might transfer (many non-football related). But I am curious why Siggers left? 
It was obvious that even if he was third on the depth chart that he would still get a good amount of work here. 
Does he want to go be a feature back somewhere? Who is going to give him that role? I don’t think he can withstand that pounding. Will be interesting to see where he lands. 

Yes, RB is the easiest position to replace, and I didn’t think he was freshman year Jamario. Just thought a Siggers/Adaway 1-2 punch would’ve been the best in CUSA (unless you count McCormick and QB Frank Harris).

We can’t build an offense around Siggers but I don’t know if can build one around Adaway for the same reasons. Which is why it would’ve been nice to have them in tandem, so we wouldn’t have to over-rely on only one of them staying healthy. Luckily a duo of Adaway and Torrey is nothing to be worried about, compared to the rest of the roster.

Also, not sure it’s fair to paint Siggers as injury prone. He had a minor injury in 2019 because some dirty player at USM was gator rolling his ankle after a tackle, then he had the knee injury against UAB which bled into this year. It took him a month or two to get back to ~100% and he was there at the end. It wasn’t new injuries popping up.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

My money is on stoops, total guess though 

I hope you are right.

I think Ruff will fail if he is the hire. Looking to the Texas Tech coaching tree for offensive coaches is great, but not for defensive coaches. I will be extremely disappointed if Ruff is hired. In two seasons as Texas Tech's DC Ruff gave up an average of 25.15 points per game. He is not the right guy for us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I hope you are right.

I think Ruff will fail if he is the hire. Looking to the Texas Tech coaching tree for offensive coaches is great, but not for defensive coaches. I will be extremely disappointed if Ruff is hired. In two seasons as Texas Tech's DC Ruff gave up an average of 25.15 points per game. He is not the right guy for us.

Screenshot_20210116-102005_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I hope you are right.

25 points a game in the Big 12 is a hell of a lot better than the crap show we have had.if our defense had held teams an average of 25 points a game this year we would have probably won a 2-3 more games at least

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Agree with everything except Siggers. The only RB we can legitimately make an argument is better is Adaway. Siggers looked like the Siggers of old at the end of the season and that’s a legit all-CUSA caliber guy. 

We can’t judge the situation on the current roster. What do we look like come August? That’s what matters.

Totally agree.

• Upvote 1

I hate losing Siggers, as I stated earlier.  Just love his running style and how positive he always seems to be, but we have the following:

Torrey: Reported he is coming back.

Adaway: No disrespect to anyone else on the roster, but this young man is a stud and is strong as a runner, receiver and blocker and just finished his RS Freshman year.  He can set records for us.

Johnson: Showed flashes early in the year.  Only a freshman that had an impressive HS career in Lubbock.  Really excited about his future.

Ragsdale: Don't really know much about him, but he started at a strong program in Nevada and was highly rated coming in.  Interested to see how he develops.

Jackson: Incoming freshman with a crazy good highlight tape.

This room is loaded and I think Siggers wants more playing time.  I hope he has no lingering effects from the injury, finds a place where he can succeed and has great memories of his time in Denton.

Now, let's get to that DC announcement so we can fill out the remainder of the coaching staff.

• Upvote 3