Really wish the door worked both ways

emmitt01

6 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Seeing a lot of guys walking OUT the transfer portal door (some who played decent minutes or started multiple games) but nobody walking IN the door.  

Are we tempering our panic too much?  

Very good question. Not so worried about what is heading out if we start back filling. MAybe the focus will be on JUCO players

It's a concern.  To be fair, though, we're seeing at this point a number of our players announce that they are entering the portal--not that they have committed to their new team.  So, it is plausible that we could hear about a huge influx of transfers in a few days.  I wouldn't necessarily bet on it, but it is within the realm of possibility.

58 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Im okay with it. Some players had to transfer out to make room for other. I am also okay with us waiting until the DC is in place and can grocery shop since he will be the one doing the cooking

You mean actually go after players who fit his system. 😇

• Upvote 1

I think this comes down to philosophy; I believe you recruit the best talent you can and then work with what you've got.  I would also say that the epitome of college football (Alabama) has done that with the turnover of their OC/DC through their dynastic run - to me, from a recruiting perspective, you recruit the best you can at each position every offseason, if that means you cut a senior short because you've got a better Junior-transfer then you do it.  Players are now open to transfer when and how they see fit and coaches are hired/fired based off wins/losses then it's got to go both ways and while you're sitting around waiting for a 4-star freshman to show up his senior year, a JUCO product might be waiting to take the reigns, you can either watch him take it and beat you or go after it and improve your team overall.  This is the part that's missing in the transfer portal argument, "how much have you gotten better since you've been there?" - any program that commits to freshman out the gate opens itself to be left behind, there's plenty of guys riding the bench at P5 schools or JUCO that could have an immediate impact on G5 programs, the only reason why you wouldn't reach for them is you're afraid you couldn't continue to develop the talent.

• Upvote 1