Kealon Jackson Enters the Portal

MGNation92

Wish we had utilized him more, thought he had some moves with the ball in his hands. He was behind RS SO Rod Burns (a former walkon) and with our two most high profile recruits coming in to play his position (Bryson Jackson and Caleb Johnson) it looked like we had recruited over Kealon Jackson. Best of luck to him. Seemed like a team player, and was even listed as our emergency deep snapper.

How is this a circus? We expected with the extra eligibility that there would be high turnover this year compared to most years. I am sure with the semester starting they talked to players and laid out their plans. I believe they will do everything to stay within the 85 scholarship limit

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

How is this a circus? We expected with the extra eligibility that there would be high turnover this year compared to most years. I am sure with the semester starting they talked to players and laid out their plans. I believe they will do everything to stay within the 85 scholarship limit

I expected 5-6, but not 6 in 2 days. Behind the scenes, it seems Seth wasn’t ready for this to happen

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

Not the case. Hearing there will be more . 

So what if there are more? There is better, younger talent coming in behind them. And even if there was an exodus because they didn’t like Littrell (which is not true), the inmates cannot be allowed to run the asylum. I can only think of two players that have transferred out by choice that ended up bettering their careers. One was Darius Carey who did well for himself when he transferred with Riley Dodge to McNeese (although he could’ve won similar awards here had he stayed) and the other was Eli Howard who followed Kevin Patrick to Texas Tech without playing a down here.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

36 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So what if there are more? There is better, younger talent coming in behind them. And even if there was an exodus because they didn’t like Littrell (which is not true), the inmates cannot be allowed to run the asylum. I can only think of two players that have transferred out by choice that ended up bettering their careers. One was Darius Carey who did well for himself when he transferred with Riley Dodge to McNeese (although he could’ve won similar awards here had he stayed) and the other was Eli Howard who followed Kevin Patrick to Texas Tech without playing a down here.

Having young better talent is great. In the good programs young talented players don’t see the field until rs soph or junior year. They need time to development. 

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Is it safe to say that when a player "enters the portal" he is done with our program ?  Has said player turned in any equipment issued him by NT ?  Is said player hanging around the weight room or locker room ?  

GO MEAN GREEN

I have seen several players on the portal who end up going back to their team, but for the most part, yes. I believe in most cases the school will let them finish the semester but I do not believe they have to

1 hour ago, Uncle said:

The players are getting “pre-Spring Practice” evaluations from the coaches. 

Some may not have liked their evaluation. 

Also keep in mind, the semester starts next week, correct? If a player is not wanting to come back then this was their deadline to not have to start classes. Also, remember they cannot talk to other schools (at least by rule) until they are entered in the portal.

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

You know we need more than 22 starters right? I think this last season should have demonstrated how essential depth is. 

Yes I do. And I explained in another thread. We haven’t lost one kid that’s isn’t already replaceable with someone already on roster. Not to mention we will add 7-10 kids between now and game one.....

6 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes I do. And I explained in another thread. We haven’t lost one kid that’s isn’t already replaceable with someone already on roster. Not to mention we will add 7-10 kids between now and game one.....

I hope so. Just thinking about this year with offensive guys flipping to the defensive side just to have a two deep. I also lived through a season were we had to go five deep on QBs and i seem to recall another were we lost three RBs to injury. 

13 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I hope so. Just thinking about this year with offensive guys flipping to the defensive side just to have a two deep. I also lived through a season were we had to go five deep on QBs and i seem to recall another were we lost three RBs to injury. 

We’re at 83 scholarship guys by my count. If we add 7-10 more guys like JD mentioned, that’s 90-93 scholarship guys. We were sitting around 77 scholarship guys last season, which is pretty close to where we sit most seasons. So we could lose about another 12-15 of our current scholarship guys and still have more players on scholarship in 2021 than we did in 2020. 

It’s easy to see all of these transfers and get concerned about our depth, but we are almost assuredly still going to have a handful more scholarship players in 2021 than we did in 2020. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2