Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Let's have a "what's positive about UNT Football right now" thread


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ADLER said:

I am anxious for all the big tailgate parties to start again.

We need to make the first game a party to remember.

The Hill Tailgating Area - Facilities - University of North Texas Athletics

I've got a great story how the "King of the Hill" became a Fire Chief (in the DFW Area), a Judge (in the DFW Area), and a Top Personal Trainer in the (DFW Area)!

 

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

I've got a great story how the "King of the Hill" became a Fire Chief (in the DFW Area), a Judge (in the DFW Area), and a Top Personal Trainer in the (DFW Area)!

 

Please share because you obviously have us befuddled.  Also, is there any chance you are related to PlummMeanGreen or greejoe?

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 12:11 AM, UNTLifer said:

I've got a great story how the "King of the Hill" became a Fire Chief (in the DFW Area), a Judge (in the DFW Area), and a Top Personal Trainer in the (DFW Area)!

Sorry for the delay, traveling at the moment.  So, we had been staking out the site for the new Apogee Stadium for a while and we had some great tailgates at Fouts and we wanted to continue that but needed an extended space that didn't cost anything (we were working and in classes at the time).  So one of the guys in the group says, basically, "listen, you buy the food and the drinks, and you (different guy) bring everything in your truck to set up, I'll make sure we get the space."  We're all friends and you know it's "one for all, all for one" but he was insistent on saving the best space, the "King of the Hill" if you will.  So two days before the opening game against Houston at Apogee, he parked his truck atop the hill, camped out, slept there in his truck while we went out on Fry Street.  We had a "friend" at the time on the "athletics operations" side that, to be fair, "didn't know if two days was too much or 24 hours should be fine" but it worked out in the end and we got our spot.  Most of our group worked on campus or was part of big organizations, we had several of those 10x10 tents, the eventual fire chief, saved me from burning down the hill when I overloaded my smoker box (for the second seating).  He was quick to get a fire extinguisher from his truck which prevented "the hill" from burning down on game one.  At Fouts and Apogee, I always made sure to get some extra fajita chicken from La Azteca and would always take care of the police working the event and folks just walking around (40lbs at $1.16lb as I remember was worth it!).  Our friend who's now a very big trainer in the DFW, made sure we got our workout in the next day, admittedly, mine was in the evening but I made a strong appearance as I recall!!  Sun Up to Sun Down, that's the UNT Work Ethic!

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • RV 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was raised in Denton and I am an alumni. The truth is that it is hard to get alumni back here for games in Denton. It is also hard to get people in Denton to the games. When I was a kid growing up in Denton, I never went to a North Texas football game and my parents worked at North Texas. The problem with Denton residents is they do not feel like they are a part of UNT. UNT should make a concerted effort to reach those people and let them know that this is their university. There are over 130,000 Denton residents and I bet over 3/4 have no affinity for North Texas because we all get the feeling that UNT thinks they are better than Denton residents. It's not true, but that's the way a lot of Denton residents feel. UNT should go after those people to fill the stands. Go into neighborhoods that they don't want to. Give out free game tickets to some. Let them know. Like how SMU puts Dallas on their stuff maybe we need to say we are Denton damn it. Make people proud to want to call this team their own. There are more people in Denton than Tuscaloosa, AL. yet everyone in America knows of Tuscaloosa because of Alabama. I am not saying we can be Alabama, but you have to get the people of Denton to want to own this team.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Venson said:

I was raised in Denton and I am an alumni. The truth is that it is hard to get alumni back here for games in Denton. It is also hard to get people in Denton to the games. When I was a kid growing up in Denton, I never went to a North Texas football game and my parents worked at North Texas. The problem with Denton residents is they do not feel like they are a part of UNT. UNT should make a concerted effort to reach those people and let them know that this is their university. There are over 130,000 Denton residents and I bet over 3/4 have no affinity for North Texas because we all get the feeling that UNT thinks they are better than Denton residents. It's not true, but that's the way a lot of Denton residents feel. UNT should go after those people to fill the stands. Go into neighborhoods that they don't want to. Give out free game tickets to some. Let them know. Like how SMU puts Dallas on their stuff maybe we need to say we are Denton damn it. Make people proud to want to call this team their own. There are more people in Denton than Tuscaloosa, AL. yet everyone in America knows of Tuscaloosa because of Alabama. I am not saying we can be Alabama, but you have to get the people of Denton to want to own this team.

Yet, someone rolls their eyes at you. Typical. Good post. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yet, someone rolls their eyes at you. Typical. Good post. 

It is a good post but I disagree with the first part.    I also was raised in Denton and am an alumni.  My father taught at North Texas and our family was heavily involved with the university.  I went to every game as a kid, my brother sold concessions in the stands, etc...  The department my father taught in was usually at that games.

The remainder is spot on.  Denton doesn't appreciate North Texas and that isn't going to change overnight or by the efforts of the citizens.  UNT markets itself as the North Texas region's university, which it is, but it is Denton's first and that should be the approach.  Sorry if it upsets the TWU faithful, but it is what it is.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It is a good post but I disagree with the first part.    I also was raised in Denton and am an alumni.  My father taught at North Texas and our family was heavily involved with the university.  I went to every game as a kid, my brother sold concessions in the stands, etc...  The department my father taught in was usually at that games.

The remainder is spot on.  Denton doesn't appreciate North Texas and that isn't going to change overnight or by the efforts of the citizens.  UNT markets itself as the North Texas region's university, which it is, but it is Denton's first and that should be the approach.  Sorry if it upsets the TWU faithful, but it is what it is.

IMO, I think this is a major issue to it all. There is this sort of obligatory inclusion with the city of Denton. For whatever reason, (last I checked Universities aren't ethnicities) Denton and the people of Denton believes they need to show a tip of the hat to TWU. TWU, for even the people that I know that have attended TWU, is basically an extended community college with 100% acceptance. It should hold 0 weight as far as being "Denton's University". 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't understand (and i don't want to be too negative here), how we can't title this thread correctly...

 

Corrected title should be:

 

Now, let's analyze what's been working for us.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Better response from Denton county would be great.   However, I certainly don't think a primary rationale for lack of more Denton fans is that they don't feel they are part of NT. 

It is just the opposite, most don't want to be part of or care enough about NT to be a fan. 

They like most sports fans are into the pros and big highly publicized college programs (ie: Tx, A&M and the rest of the SEC, and other perennial top 20 ranked programs).

NT also suffered because of area competition that are all in better conferences (ie: SMU, TCU, Baylor, OKlahoma, etc.)

I have and I am sure most of you do, have friends that are UNT alumni, yet never go to a game or support UNT in anyway.  Yet, are season tickets holders and donors to the UT or OUs' of college sports. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Our Draft Drought is finally about to end.  Not with some last rounder either!

 

9 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Now we have a clear cut day one starter at QB

Kanye West Shrug GIF

Satine Phoenix Game GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 8:33 PM, Venson said:

Like how SMU puts Dallas on their stuff maybe we need to say we are Denton

I think this is a great idea for community outreach!  I remember the Rangers putting out "Arlington" gear.  Not sure if they've continued it, but I could see it working for the Denton community.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.