Current Scholarship Rundown

BillySee58

By my count we, between signees and players who have not indicated they are transferring or leaving the team, we have about 87 scholarship players. That number could be a little higher if there are some former walkons currently on scholarship that I’m not aware of.

We should have about 7 spots left in the class, likely for transfers as we have not offered anymore 2021 high school recruits since winter signing day. We normally carry about 80 scholarship players a season with 85 being the old limit, waived for 2021 as only freshmen through juniors count towards that 85 limit in 2021. 

Not sure what our athletic department wants our scholarship numbers to look like for next year, but I’d imagine it won’t be much more than the traditional 85 cap. Once we finish adding guys, we could lose 9 more guys currently on our roster and still be at 85, approximately. Here’s the current positional breakdown on scholarship for 2021, by my estimation:

QBs: 6

RBs: 8 (would expect some defections here, especially with 3 seniors)

WR: 10

TE: 6 (includes Pirtle)

OL: 16

DL: 15 (includes a couple seniors)

LB: 12 (includes a couple seniors)

DB: 13

K: 1 (Mooney, but not sure if he’s actually in scholarship)

Another thing to note, there aren’t many seniors left, so we will be heavy on guys who will be eligible in 2022 and beyond. This means we are going to likely see more defections to come this year and next, in order to make room for a 2022 class.

TL;DR: Between COVID giving players an extra season and players not needing to sit out a season if they transfer, it has created the perfect storm of roster turnover.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Thanks 3
  • Ray 1

Update below. I’m assuming our kicker, punter, and long snapper are all NOT on scholarship. Also not counting OSU transfer LB Carson Kropp and ULM transfer DB Logan Wilson towards the scholarship count.

Current scholarship players - 76 (estimate includes all 2021 signees)

38 offense, 38 defense

By class:

Seniors - 6

Juniors - 8

Sophomores - 15

Freshmen - 47 (16 redshirt, 31 true)

By position:

OL - 14

TE - 6

WR - 8

RB - 5

QB - 5

DL - 16

LB - 9

DB - 12

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Update below. I’m assuming our kicker, punter, and long snapper are all NOT on scholarship. Also not counting OSU transfer LB Carson Kropp and ULM transfer DB Logan Wilson towards the scholarship count.

38 offense, 38 defense

By class:

Seniors - 6

Juniors - 8

Sophomores - 15

By position:

OL - 14

TE - 6

WR - 8

RB - 5

QB - 5

DL - 16

LB - 9

DB - 12

So, only 14 upperclassmen ?   Wow.   With that young of a team, it is going to be hard to judge Seth's performance next year IMO.   Am I wrong in thinking this ?

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Wow!  It's hard to believe that the kicker is not on scholarship.  He is often in the top three scorers and yet he has to pay his own way?  Do the kicker, punter and long snapper get their meals paid?

They might be on scholarship. They all definitely joined as walkons and there aren’t much verbal announcements of them receiving scholarships. If they are it doesn’t really change much for the roster scholarship situation as a whole.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, akriesman said:

So, only 14 upperclassmen ?   Wow.   With that young of a team, it is going to be hard to judge Seth's performance next year IMO.   Am I wrong in thinking this ?

I think with the Bennett hire and so many Freshman and Sophomores on the team Seth will get 2 years to turn it around. 

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I think he should definitely not get a pass for this season. That scholarship situation is all his to own up to. Plus, because everyone had their eligibility frozen throughout the 2021 season, sophomores are really upperclassmen in terms of how long they have been on campus, and even redshirt freshmen are entering their 3rd seasons of college football. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Only way SL is not around after this Fall, (2021) is if the Loveless’s, McNatts, Ryan’s & a few others don’t see progress.  
Recent developments for the Mean Green defense (namely the hiring of Coach Phil Bennett) & a focus on defense recruiting is going to make the masses happy.  Haters still going to hate & little will make them happy—not even a triple dip waffle cone filled with tutti-frutti ice cream.🤢 

🦅❇️🦅 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

38 offense, 38 defense

By class:

Seniors - 6

Juniors - 8

Sophomores - 15

By position:

OL - 14

TE - 6

WR - 8

RB - 5

QB - 5

DL - 16

LB - 9

DB - 12

Such a young team. Going to be salty 2 to 3 years from now

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I am honestly hoping Seth can win enough this next year to keep his job. Because I don’t think as far as an offense if Coach we can do better. And I still think Seth has a very bright future. 

Yes the quick to fire coaching culture has kept many programs in ruts. I really believe we need to see this through a lot longer than many seem to have the patience for.  It’s not old Denton to think that way...we have resources, the talent is there and we aren’t a doormat anymore.  Keep building. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The thing I have admired most about Seth. Is his ability to notice a problem identify it and make a change. Recruiting sucked he went out and hired Luke. The defense sucks he knows it and I’m hoping Bennett can come make the change needed. We’ve had other coaches here in the past that would just make excuses. I truly believe Seth loves North Texas. Believes in North Texas. And wants to win at North Texas. And I can promise you that today the program roster wise is in a much better place than it was the day Seth took over.

Nobody out works Seth. Nobody!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I am honestly hoping Seth can win enough this next year to keep his job. Because I don’t think as far as an offense if Coach we can do better. And I still think Seth has a very bright future. 

I was just having some sarcastic fun.  I'm with you: I really hope Seth works out.  I think it's in our program's best interests for him to work out.

• Upvote 4

As of now the only starters we have lost from last season are Ogunmakin, Darden, Cam Johnson, Makyle Sanders, and technically Bean. Ogunmakin was only starting because Shorter was out.

So offensively we return basically 9 starters if you count Aune, our leading passer, and we still are set to return almost all of those guys again in 2022. That #1 offense in CUSA is going to be together for a while. Just need the defense to be average, and we definitely have pieces on that defense to make that happen. 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

As of now the only starters we have lost from last season are Ogunmakin, Darden, Cam Johnson, Makyle Sanders, and technically Bean. Ogunmakin was only starting because Shorter was out.

So offensively we return basically 9 starters if you count Aune, our leading passer, and we still are set to return almost all of those guys again in 2022. That #1 offense in CUSA is going to be together for a while. Just need the defense to be average, and we definitely have pieces on that defense to make that happen. 

And with Novil, Davis and Colvin returning to D will help. I wouldn’t count out a Cam Johnson return either. He is still being recruited by UNT. Add in a couple transfers.. plus the twins, stout and Gaddis getting a year older. I think the d may be more improved than we thinks 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

And with Novil, Davis and Colvin returning to D will help. I wouldn’t count out a Cam Johnson return either. He is still being recruited by UNT. Add in a couple transfers.. plus the twins, stout and Gaddis getting a year older. I think the d may be more improved than we thinks 

Really excited with our front with the twins getting up in that 250lb range and Novil anchoring in the middle. Phil get Novil isolated and watch him pounce! GMG 

• Upvote 1