Makes you wonder

El Paso Eagle

With the new developments in the transfer portal, did the coaches have sit down meeting with the players? Did they hear how they are seen as fitting in moving forward and not like it? There are always many reasons for transferring.

Note - Every year players enter the portal and not all find new homes. 

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With the new developments in the transfer portal, did the coaches have sit down meeting with the players? Did they hear how they are seen as fitting in moving forward and not like it? There are always many reasons for transferring.

I would believe this theory. If we had a DC.

• Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is what I figured happened. And maybe they have a philosophy on how they want the defense to be moving forward and only want guys that fit that. Point is, I don't think this is some spur of the moment decision by all of these players at once. I think there is something behind it. 

• Upvote 1

I think we may already have a DC in pocket. I also saw the list of coaches shows that the DLine and Corners coaches are “to be determined”. There is no listing for DC whatsoever. That leads me to believe they are building the bio for whomever they hired.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

This is what I figured happened. And maybe they have a philosophy on how they want the defense to be moving forward and only want guys that fit that. Point is, I don't think this is some spur of the moment decision by all of these players at once. I think there is something behind it. 

Players also need to be careful. Look at Garnett Burke. He hit the portal in Oct, and they last I saw he was tweeting offer from Kilgore JC and D2 (?) schools. The grass is not always greener

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Is there something about today’s date that explains the time of at least 4 going out in one day? Thanks.

GMG

Maybe there were team meetings on Monday/Tuesday. Perhaps it was also due to players not enrolling for the new semester

Under the college transfer policy, when a student-athlete informs a school that he wishes to transfer, that institution has two business days to enter that athlete's name into a national transfer portal. Once the student-athlete's name is in the database, other coaches from any school can contact that individual.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Maybe there were team meetings on Monday/Tuesday. Perhaps it was also due to players not enrolling for the new semester

Under the college transfer policy, when a student-athlete informs a school that he wishes to transfer, that institution has two business days to enter that athlete's name into a national transfer portal. Once the student-athlete's name is in the database, other coaches from any school can contact that individual.

The puzzle gets a bit clearer. 

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Players also need to be careful. Look at Garnett Burke. He hit the portal in Oct, and they last I saw he was tweeting offer from Kilgore JC and D2 (?) schools. The grass is not always greener

Exactly. 

46 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

27 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I would believe this theory. If we had a DC.

Both good points. Something else to consider, how many scholarships is our athletic department okay with having for football next year?

We are allowed to have 85 scholarship players NOT including seniors, so the total amount of scholarship players could be closer to 100 with seniors if we wanted it to be. But how many are we comfortable with budgeting for? If we plan on bringing in a host of D1 transfers plus the recruiting class we just signed, how do we make room for those guys if everyone came back? I would guess that’s part of it and why the timing was so synchronized.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Both good points. Something else to consider, how many scholarships is our athletic department okay with having for football next year?

We are allowed to have 85 scholarship players NOT including seniors, so the total amount of scholarship players could be closer to 100 with seniors if we wanted it to be. But how many are we comfortable with budgeting for? If we plan on bringing in a host of D1 transfers plus the recruiting class we just signed, how do we make room for those guys if everyone came back? I would guess that’s part of it and why the timing was so synchronized.

The reality of budgets for G5, even some P5 schools is going to mandate changes. 

The budget on scholarship players was discussed a few months ago with players getting an xtra year. If every body stayed we could be looking at 105 to 110 players just in football. I could see players being told of changes which would relate to opportunity of playing time. Option move on. Good luck to all.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Burke was pushed out the door. 

44 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think we may already have a DC in pocket. I also saw the list of coaches shows that the DLine and Corners coaches are “to be determined”. There is no listing for DC whatsoever. That leads me to believe they are building the bio for whomever they hired.

Wait,
Is this breaking news?   Did we already knows Mathies and Jennings (another good friend of Littrell's) were gone?

• Upvote 1