Don't hire a DC, we need a HC

p_phelps

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

Bob stoops, Charlie strong, Kevin summlin, tom herman, arte briles. These are former HCs.. would you like some assistants..  

Stoops: I am sure he is just chomping at the bit to come to Denton and replace his friend.

Strong:  What gives you any impression he would be an improvement?

Sumlin:  Too much losing in the recent past.

Herman:  Terrible human being/douche bag

Briles:  Please, this has been discussed over and over.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Stoops: I am sure he is just chomping at the bit to come to Denton and replace his friend.

Strong:  What gives you any impression he would be an improvement?

Sumlin:  Too much losing in the recent past.

Herman:  Terrible human being/douche bag

Briles:  Please, this has been discussed over and over.

All the above have better records than seth.. keep sippin the kool aid. All but stoops have had big success in G5. I want Seth to do well. But my confidence in him has almost gone away completely 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Such a tired response. 

Let's break down your criticisms.

1.  Low energy:  That is your take and his "public persona."  You aren't at practice or in the locker room.  Just because he isn't ranting and raving up and down the sideline is ridiculous.  Did his players quit on him?  I didn't see anything that would suggest that.

2.  Underperformed:  I would suggest that he over delivered in years one and two and then the state of the program he inherited caught up to him.  His best recruiting classes are now becoming upperclassmen and he has built good relationships with HS coaches in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and even Arizona.  His first coaching staff was so well though of that a number of coaches were poached by bigger programs.  He also just signed one of our highest rated recruits ever.  Have we had bad losses?  Absolutely, but that is why I said 2021 is our make or break year.  His recruits have matured and been in the system, relationships with the high school coaches have been established, facilities have and are being upgraded and it is time to produce.

3.  Mass Transfers:  Really?  Chris Thornton, buried on the depth chart.  Brian Parish, buried on the depth chart.  Chandler Anthony, buried on the depth chart.  Joe Ozougwu?  Still out there on the market.  Justin Booker-Brown? Walk-on. Garnett Burke, good talent but obviously had some issues and Makayle Sanders.  The one I hated to see go is Cameron Johnson, but we have the talent to fill that spot.  In return, we picked up the OL Farrell from OSU, DB's Wilson and Davis and they are all rated higher than the players that left.  So we had seven enter the portal.  No disrespect intended, but Anthony, Parish, Thornton and Booker-Brown weren't going to crack the two deep.  Ozougwu was serviceable but replaceable as is Sanders.  I thought Johnson had a solid year on a poor defense and who knows about Burke.  Wouldn't call that mass transfers.  Hell, if it weren't for the Covid virus, Sanders and Johnson would be done anyway.

4.  Very Little Reinforcements: Too early to tell, but the majority of our best talent are underclassmen.  I know we all want transfers, but their is a crap-load of talent still out there and the most important thing right now is to fill out his staff and have a strong signing day in February.  I like that SL wants to build through the high school ranks and then fill in with transfers where needed.

Again, he has to win this year, period.  But throwing him out right now is short-sighted and knee jerk.  You can say every team had to deal with the craziness of this f'ing virus, but not many were replacing a DC, had to replace their QB Coach right at the beginning the year and every team was effected differently by who was sick, who had been exposed, etc...  2021 will be telling for the program and SL's future as our, or anyone's, head coach.

Backing a sinking ship is a tired response

1. LOW ENERGY! THE TEAM. I don't give a damn about Seth's energy as long as the has it. The sidelines were dead all yr.

2. Underperformed: picked to win conference 2 yrs ago with the best team we've had in years, didn't even make a bowl. This year can't decide on a QB. Can't pick a staff. Underperformed 

3. Also Greg White is gone. 

4. Our rivals have passed us by via the transfer portal.  We haven't done shit since the end of the season. 

Again,  I want and hope Seth is successful but all signs point to no.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

Again,  I want and hope Seth is successful but all signs point to no.

Didn't you start this thread with a fire him please?

I believe that you know he is here for 2021.  So either you enjoy letting people know how you feel - over and over -, or you're trolling board members to hear the same for/against discussion.

...not that this is anything new around here. lol

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, p_phelps said:

#olddenton

Old Denton, New Denton, I don't really care at this point. What is annoying is your constant "Fire Seth" posts, comments, etc. It's a tired act. He's not going anywhere this year. So just suck it up and quit whining that a coach who has the highest winning percentage since the beloved Hayden Fry still has a job (that's over 40 years for those counting at home).

Edited by MeanGreen22
Grammar is rough but you get the point.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I know Seth ain't going no where....he wasn't here when NT joined CUSA. But I kind of expect more from UNT Football when we're in arguably the worst division..worst football conference in G5 football. 

Has anything you have known about UNT Football surprised you at where we are? Because it isn't to me. And, as a fan and alum, part of the 2% who cares about this place and its football team, my expectations are that we don't have anymore seasons with 3 or less wins. Otherwise, I don't see anything changing. About once or twice a decade, we can get to 9 wins. And I enjoy them immensely, as I know how rare they are here. Since I started following us in 1990, I have seen exactly 4 seasons where we have won 9 games , 1 season where we won 8 games, and 2 seasons where we won 7 games. In the same span, I have seen us win 1 game twice, win 2 games 5 times, and win 3 games 5 times. 

I've finally come around to the fact that CUSA West is where we belong. We are 45-54 since getting into this league. We have earned our place here in today's college football world. We have had 8 head coaches since 1990, played under admins that wanted nothing to do with sports and ones that have tried to go in as much as they can financially, played in 4 different conferences (SLC, BWC, BSC, and CUSA)  in two different classifications of NCAA football, and have had three stadiums to play home games at (Fouts, TX Stadium, and Apogee).  In the end, it is what it is. You either follow them because they are yours or you walk away to follow some P5 team as "yours". 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1