DRC (updated with story): Greg White enters NCAA transfer portal

Brett Vito

4 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

I'd be more worried if they were starters.  Backups chasing playing time?  It's the new normal.

I would argue it was the old normal too. People just like to make a bigger deal out of it than they used to. When guys like Cade Pearson and Anthony Wyche transferred out two years ago it wasn’t all about the transfer portal, it was just normal because they were backups chasing playing time.

I would say what is different is more players leaving who are starters or guys 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

seems the crew is jumping off this sinking ship

For a point of reference WKU has 20 players in the portal heading out and they have already brought in 12

https://247sports.com/college/western-kentucky/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

Seems WKU and Texas State are doing major roster turnovers 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC (updated with story): Greg White enters NCAA transfer portal
42 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I would argue it was the old normal too. People just like to make a bigger deal out of it than they used to. When guys like Cade Pearson and Anthony Wyche transferred out two years ago it wasn’t all about the transfer portal, it was just normal because they were backups chasing playing time.

I would say what is different is more players leaving who are starters or guys 

My brother in law is a college coach (not football) and he has always been surprised by the low number of transfers out UNT football has had. There have been times that we’ve had literally zero players in the portal.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

My brother in law is a college coach (not football) and he has always been surprised by the low number of transfers out UNT football has had. There have been times that we’ve had literally zero players in the portal.

It’s generally kind of hard to transfer out of G5s because if you’re a starter you’re usually staying, unless you’re a grad transfer looking to move up. For backups to transfer P5s didn’t want you out of high school and there’s no reason for them to want you if you haven’t proven to be able to start at the G5 level, and even G5s aren’t likely to spend a spot on a G5 backup, especially if they have to sit out a year. So the best options were going FCS or JUCO.

Traditionally I feel like we would see more players quit, then pop up somewhere else instead of going through a more formal transfer portal process. 

• Upvote 1

Good Lord people.  White had been passed by on the depth chart by younger, better players. I wish him well, but come on.  Our WR's all realize if they work hard, they can put up big numbers and become an All-American in this system.  Darden is their example.  

• Upvote 3