National Title Game

UNTLifer

Who You Got?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Alabama vs. Ohio State

• Alabama
    • Ohio State

Just did some research and found that we have 12 schools who have won CFB titles since 1998. This is the 24th year since the BCS was introduced. It did exactly what it was meant to do. Keep the blue bloods at the top. Basically, it’s Bama, Clemson, LSU, tOSU, Auburn, Florida State, Florida, Miami, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

This sport could so easily get fixed for more interest and they just won’t do it.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I think the better poll would be who would win if it was 13-0 Alabama vs. 1-15 Jacksonville?  I think Alabama has the advantage at the skill positions.  Mac Jones --> Gardner Minshew // DevonteSmith and Jaylen Waddle --> D.J Chark and Keelan Cole //  RB's likely even.  Etc.  I'm guessing Jacksonville would have the edge in the trenches. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

With the playing tilted towards the big boys it will always be the same old teams.  they have more money than they know what to do with.

Naturally. But doesn't help the apathy some people have towards the same teams winning over and over again and falling attendance numbers. 

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Naturally. But doesn't help the apathy some people have towards the same teams winning over and over again and falling attendance numbers. 

I agree with you 100% college football was a lot better in the past than the present. I really don't watch the big boys anymore and rather watch mid major games.  Lets face it the big schools now are NFL lite.

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, southsideguy said:

I agree with you 100% college football was a lot better in the past than the present. I really don't watch the big boys anymore and rather watch mid major games.  Lets face it the big schools now are NFL lite.

Agreed. I barely watched the game last night because it was the only thing on other than the Bachelor. It wasn't even a good game. CFB will eat itself if this same trend continues. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Confirmed: In a year deprived of sports due to Covid, the Ohio State-Alabama National Championship Game was the least watched National Championship Game of all time. 

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-football-vs-alabama-was-least-watched-championship-game-ever

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Confirmed: In a year deprived of sports due to Covid, the Ohio State-Alabama National Championship Game was the least watched National Championship Game of all time. 

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-football-vs-alabama-was-least-watched-championship-game-ever

I wanted to puke this morning listening to Reese Davis and others on ESPN where he (an Alabama alum) was talking about how he liked the playoffs with 4 teams and how much he respected the "committee". He was worried if they expanded to let moren teams in and all P5 conference champions what worried him was that what if a team got "lucky" in the conference championship and wasn't really the top team in that conference. Freaking homer. Time for the top 30-40 programs to spin off and form their own 'professional" college football league 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

He was worried if they expanded to let moren teams in and all P5 conference champions what worried him was that what if a team got "lucky" in the conference championship and wasn't really the top team in that conference. 

I don't know where this worry comes from, except that I think they are gripping onto something that - if you think about it - makes no sense.

Look at any other postseason tourney.  The "lucky" team is called "cinderella" and makes for gripping stories.  Expanding the tourney would bring in more viewership and more money.

If you really think about it, you're only worried because you think it means your team will lose.

• Upvote 2

Its the toughest part of the media being in the blue bloods' pocket. ESPN is the worst, but CBS, Fox, and NBC aren't any different. They invest in these big conferences, but the reality is that people are getting bored with the same 15 teams being allowed to play in a manufactured playoff every year, and now, its about 5 teams every year, between Clemson, Bama, OU, tOSU, and ND.

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Its the toughest part of the media being in the blue bloods' pocket. ESPN is the worst, but CBS, Fox, and NBC aren't any different. They invest in these big conferences, but the reality is that people are getting bored with the same 15 teams being allowed to play in a manufactured playoff every year, and now, its about 5 teams every year, between Clemson, Bama, OU, tOSU, and ND.

Agreed. Apathy and lack of parity will ruin this sport. There's a reason why college football ratings continue to tank. 

41 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I will give credit to CBS on the G5 games they show their announcers don't seem to take the usual smartass swipes at the G5 you see on ESPN games

• Upvote 2

I did some more research and went back to my birth year of 1972. There are 20 teams who have won AP titles in my 48 years on this Earth. 41 of those of those titles have been won by 12 teams (Bama, ND, OU, Miami, Ohio State, USC, Nebraska, Clemson, FSU, Florida, LSU, and Penn State.) Of the other 8 titles in that time, Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, Michigan, and Pitt have won titles before I was born. That means that exactly three outliers have won a title in my lifetime: BYU, Colorado, and Georgia. 

If you include BYU, they are 66 that qualify as Power Schools. If you look back over just the 60 years of college football, there are still only 20 schools who have AP titles in that span. It just shows how much money gets made off of the same 20 names in college football, from the conferences, the teams that leech off of them in said conferences, and the networks and media who don't want to mess with the gravy train.

The is exactly why I want our G5s to form our own level of play. There is a huge majority of Power schools that have never won a title--and they are somehow convinced they still could. Meanwhile, as interest in the Power Monopoly continues to dwindle, a true playoff system for the G5s would give our teams a chance to win their own title, while giving football fans something to be interested in instead of watching some spare bowl game between two random teams.