Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Should We Retire the #1 Jersey


Recommended Posts

Think for second about the coverage Darden got during the regular season.  Doesn't seem like much, right?

We all know how little attention the media pays to G5s, and this just further fuels that fire.  Very little national coverage of him, but he gets consensus AA.

...follow up: how many players from Texas received consensus AA honors? If Darden is the only one, it will be interesting to see if Dave Campbell does any highlight pieces or profiles of JD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't retire numbers, just start adding names to the "wall of honor."  By the way, it is Haynes not Hayes.

Yes my phone makes me type it like 4 times to get it right (but you can clearly see it correct in the bottom of the post). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, greenminer said:

Think for second about the coverage Darden got during the regular season.  Doesn't seem like much, right?

We all know how little attention the media pays to G5s, and this just further fuels that fire.  Very little national coverage of him, but he gets consensus AA.

...follow up: how many players from Texas received consensus AA honors? If Darden is the only one, it will be interesting to see if Dave Campbell does any highlight pieces or profiles of JD.

Not to throw cold water on this and also acknowledging he is one of the best players ever for North Texas, I have not seen any reference to Darden being named a consensus AA other than BV's article. Can someone provide a link showing this? Here is what I have found:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2021/01/08/byu-left-tackle-brady/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/consensus-all-americans-alabama-six-selections-devonta-smith-mac-jones-najee-harris/tlm42nn70bb117aix78ee7xh3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_College_Football_All-America_Team

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Not to throw cold water on this and also acknowledging he is one of the best players ever for North Texas, I have not seen any reference to Darden being named a consensus AA other than BV's article. Can someone provide a link showing this? Here is what I have found:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2021/01/08/byu-left-tackle-brady/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/consensus-all-americans-alabama-six-selections-devonta-smith-mac-jones-najee-harris/tlm42nn70bb117aix78ee7xh3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_College_Football_All-America_Team

https://meangreensports.com/news/2021/1/7/football-darden-named-walter-camp-second-team-all-american.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2zd_pmJ93drH4mcGNpp2RvGLWhCFrM93TCfRFGHsNjwK9VNMeh8RYCkLQ

"Senior wide receiver Jaelon Darden was named a Walter Camp Second Team All-America selection on Thursday, officially making him a consensus All-American. Darden is the Mean Green's first consensus All-American since "Mean" Joe Greene was a consensus first team selection in 1968."

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

https://meangreensports.com/news/2021/1/7/football-darden-named-walter-camp-second-team-all-american.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2zd_pmJ93drH4mcGNpp2RvGLWhCFrM93TCfRFGHsNjwK9VNMeh8RYCkLQ

"Senior wide receiver Jaelon Darden was named a Walter Camp Second Team All-America selection on Thursday, officially making him a consensus All-American. Darden is the Mean Green's first consensus All-American since "Mean" Joe Greene was a consensus first team selection in 1968."

Thanks for this but have you seen anything listing him as a consensus All-American other than our own publicity or BV's article? In the wiki article, he is noted below the consensus All-American list so while he did receive some sort of recognition, he is just not listed as a consensus All-American. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Thanks for this but have you seen anything listing him as a consensus All-American other than our own publicity or BV's article? In the wiki article, he is noted below the consensus All-American list so while he did receive some sort of recognition, he is just not listed as a consensus All-American. 

Oh!

I think you're onto something here Letsgiveacheer...

There are 5 All-American lists that count towards naming players "Consensus" or "Unanimous" All-Americans:
Sporting News, Walter Camp FF, American Football Coaches Assoc, Football Writers of America & the AP.

According to the NCAA's standards for receiving "Consensus" status, players must show up on at least 3 of these lists.   Jaelon shows up on all 5... HOWEVER, there are only 2 spots for Wide Receivers on the All-American teams, and both Devonta Smith & Elijah Moore show up as 1st Team on 4 out of 5 lists (Devante is 1st team on all 5 lists, obviously, and Jaelon is 1st team on the Football Writers of America list).    So Devonta & Elijah get the nods for those 2 "Consensus" spots due to tiebreaker rules (Elijah 4 1st team nods & Jaelon 1 1st Team nod).
However, Jaelon's selection as 1st team by FWAA kept Elijah Moore from getting the coveted "Unanimous" distinction.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I believe you're correct. Jaelon is NOT a "Consensus" All-American, despite showing up on all 5 lists.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

After a little reading, it looks like consensus is defined as at least 3 of the 5 lists on first team.

If a player is 1st team across the board (all 5 lists), it is considered Unanimous AA.

...I thought consensus was on all 5 lists, but you could be on any of their teams (1st, 2nd, etc).  Looks like I was wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.