UTSA (1/9/21)

CMJ

Yes, according to some of you: NT just should give up because they don't have a chance.

NT didn't play their best today, they let UTSA dictate the pace of the game. 

Getting Simmons out for a lot of the game is why this game was lost. 

This two games in two days favors the poorer team and splitting away is probably the key to a championship. 

Got to also give UTSA some credit, they hit of lot of big threes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I agree. Guys like Hamlet and Bell look like shells of themselves from last season. Everyone hoped that it was just a rough pre-season schedule against good defenses but I just don't think this is a good team. When you live and die by the 3 ball and have no other offense, it is feast or famine. 

Yes, Bell's Friday game of 17 pts, 5rbs and 3 blocks was just not up to par. 

Do you even watch the games?  The shadow of Hamlet only had a team high 18 points today?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Do you even watch the games?  The shadow of Hamlet only had a team high 18 points today?

Yeah, their barely 30% and 37% 3 pt percentage and team lead in turnovers are really lighting it up. 

Why don't you dig deeper before you try to clown other people's knowledge? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yeah, their barely 30% and 37% 3 pt percentage and team lead in turnovers are really lighting it up. 

37% from three is a good percentage. It’s well above the national average from last year of 33.4%. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You stated that Bell and Hamlin are shells of themselves.

The numbers don't support that.  You also need to consider that most teams defenses have containing Hamlin their top priority.  Hamlin is only taking 2 three's a game, but has 5.4 assists per game.  Bell is now a starter versus the super sub of last year.  

Do you not realize that the point guard on about any team is going to lead the team in turnovers.   It has to do with time with the balls versus any other position. 

As far as living with 3 ball, that is what most teams now do.  UTSA is a team that lives on long shots.  NT's offense is nothing like UTSA's.   

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You stated that Bell and Hamlin are shells of themselves.

The numbers don't support that.  You also need to consider that most teams defenses have containing Hamlin their top priority.  Hamlin is only taking 2 three's a game, but has 5.4 assists per game.  Bell is now a starter versus the super sub of last year.  

Do you not realize that the point guard on about any team is going to lead the team in turnovers.   It has to do with time with the balls versus any other position. 

As far as living with 3 ball, that is what most teams now do.  UTSA is a team that lives on long shots.  NT's offense is nothing like UTSA's.   

It’s Hamlet, not Hamlin. And the numbers do support that. His shooting percentage this year is down to 39% and he was at 49% last year. 10% points down is a massive drop off.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I agree. Guys like Hamlet and Bell look like shells of themselves from last season. Everyone hoped that it was just a rough pre-season schedule against good defenses but I just don't think this is a good team. When you live and die by the 3 ball and have no other offense, it is feast or famine. 

Bell actually looks decent, but Hamlet and Reese have been way off and Zach hasn’t improved. 

happy we have mother season with them at least so they can have more time to grow. 

• Upvote 2

Y’all, this conference is wide ass open. Charlotte just lost to a D2 at home, Western has split their 2 series, and teams that shouldn’t be winning are winning.

This is a crazy and bad year for cusa, and I think we still have a good chance.

La tech played very good against Bassey inside by being very physical and making them pinch the middle on defense. Everyone is beatable, and since we have them and LT at home, it’s way easier because it’s at home.

this loss was embarrassing for sure, the refs sucked bad for both teams but mainly us, and we looked tired. Screw cusa for thinking this is better than a 1 day layoff because it’s not.

Luckily we finally get a home game against a very streaky UTEP team. Let’s hope we take care of business.

That is all. GMG 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It’s Hamlet, not Hamlin. And the numbers do support that. His shooting percentage this year is down to 39% and he was at 49% last year. 10% points down is a massive drop off.

By your post, you managed to figure out who I was referring to. 

Massive drop off in three percentage, but with only an average of 2 shoots a game; I don't think it that impactful

I do wish he would shoot more, although he is a pass first PG.  He is gold from the foul line.  

He is not where he was last year yet, but it is far from a normal season.   He certainly is not playing at a MVP level, but he is still an elite player. 

Again I think this CUSA scheduling format is going to lead to a lot of upsets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

By your post, you managed to figure out who I was referring to. 

Massive drop off in three percentage, but with only an average of 2 shoots a game; I don't think it that impactful

I do wish he would shoot more, although he is a pass first PG.  He is gold from the foul line.  

He is not where he was last year yet, but it is far from a normal season.   He certainly is not playing at a MVP level, but he is still an elite player. 

Again I think this CUSA scheduling format is going to lead to a lot of upsets. 

Yes, I was able to figure out you meant Hamlet when you said “Hamlin” but it’s ridiculous not getting the name right of the player who just won CUSA player of the year for us last year. Especially when we get mad at people still calling us North Texas State.

He has not been an elite player. The drop off I gave you was on overall shooting percentage, 10% down from last year on 11.4 attempts/game. 39% shooting from the field is not elite. When it comes to any advanced ratings, he isn’t performing anywhere near the top of the conference.

Last year he was 3rd in the conference in PER (Player Efficiency Rating) and 2nd in Offensive Box Plus/Minus, this year he isn’t in the top 20 in either of those and he isn’t particularly close to the top 20 (sports reference only shows top 20). His box plus/minus is actually a negative number this year, indicating he has been a below league average player thus far. Obviously he’s capable of being far above a league average player, but his effectiveness has been that of a below average player.

I too hope he shows that he is still an elite CUSA player, but he hasn’t been that this year by any measurement. And I agree, getting to the line should be a big priority for him and Mccasland as they try and get him back on track.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yes, I was able to figure out you meant Hamlet when you said “Hamlin” but it’s ridiculous not getting the name right of the player who just won CUSA player of the year for us last year. Especially when we get mad at people still calling us North Texas State.

He has not been an elite player. The drop off I gave you was on overall shooting percentage, 10% down from last year on 11.4 attempts/game. 39% shooting from the field is not elite. When it comes to any advanced ratings, he isn’t performing anywhere near the top of the conference.

Last year he was 3rd in the conference in PER (Player Efficiency Rating) and 2nd in Offensive Box Plus/Minus, this year he isn’t in the top 20 in either of those and he isn’t particularly close to the top 20 (sports reference only shows top 20). His box plus/minus is actually a negative number this year, indicating he has been a below league average player thus far. Obviously he’s capable of being far above a league average player, but his effectiveness has been that of a below average player.

I too hope he shows that he is still an elite CUSA player, but he hasn’t been that this year by any measurement. And I agree, getting to the line should be a big priority for him and Mccasland as they try and get him back on track.

Good info here. My generic observation regarding Hamlet is that this year his drive/short floater has been anything but automatic like it was last year in the games I’ve watched. Those falling consistently for him last year, beyond making him next to unguardable at times, helped his overall shooting percentage and effectiveness as a player.

12 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Good info here. My generic observation regarding Hamlet is that this year his drive/short floater has been anything but automatic like it was last year in the games I’ve watched. Those falling consistently for him last year, beyond making him next to unguardable at times, helped his overall shooting percentage and effectiveness as a player.

Yeah three-point shooting was an effective part of his game but it was never his forte. You’re right in that he isn’t hitting his mid range and floaters like he was last year and that’s the shot that’s going to be available the most. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

My problem is UTSA isn't a good team and we should beat them like our women's team beat their women's team, period.  I like McCasland, but this loss is on him.

Heard from Javon's dad Lewis and Kathy Zack's mom AT THE GAME, we seemed subdued because of the officiating and their intensity it seemed. Their # 24 was all over Zack & then double teamed him very well when Zack got the ball. But we didn't penetrate the lane, as we usually try and kick it out.  Three of Zack foul's were really uncalled for. Mc had several ref talks when there were time out's. Nobody seemed to be moving much like Friday night.

When Zack got the 4th, well they just started feeding the ball to the #24 to take short shots that somehow went in.

Don't know why that freshman PF didn't play more while they took advantage of us in the paint. When we drove into the lane SA started getting fouls.

What was REALLY concerning the ut guards Jackson and wallace had no one guarding them with their hands up ready for them to shoot. Those two took probably half the shots their whole team took. They are very quick shooters. this came fromJavon's uncle, LaMichael.

They compared to other games didn't seemed pumped for either game it seemed, even though it was a conference game. This practice of playing two games in less than 2 hours is a joke!

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Ridiculous not getting a name right on a message board.  Wow, I hope you never make such a terrible mistake. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

41 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Ridiculous not getting a name right on a message board.  Wow, I hope you never make such a terrible mistake. 

Typos happen and I don’t comment on them, but you continuously call him Hamlin, not just one-time slip ups. Dude just had one of the best single seasons of any of our players in years leading us to our best season in years, the least we can do is get his name right. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

42 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Typos happen and I don’t comment on them, but you continuously call him Hamlin, not just one-time slip ups. Dude just had one of the best single seasons of any of our players in years leading us to our best season in years, the least we can do is get his name right. 

20 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

That is my other post in this thread.    One time apparently makes a continuum in your world. 

OK, give me more examples of me making this dire error.   

Even if there were multiple examples and there are not; what difference does it make.

You are now making stuff up and I have no idea what your objective is. 

• Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

That is my other post in this thread.    One time apparently makes a continuum in your world. 

OK, give me more examples of me making this dire error.   

Even if there were multiple examples and there are not; what difference does it make.

You are now making stuff up and I have no idea what your objective is. 

I’m not making it up. I pointed it out, didn’t think you would get this upset. Was expecting more of an “oh crap, I am getting our best player’s name wrong” response. I’m sorry.

C3504FC9-55F1-45B2-B406-638BB7EE1E73.jpeg

95091A56-540D-408D-ADBF-A892EAEB44DC.jpeg

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m not making it up. I pointed it out, didn’t think you would get this upset. Was expecting more of an “oh crap, I am getting our best player’s name wrong” response. I’m sorry.

C3504FC9-55F1-45B2-B406-638BB7EE1E73.jpeg

95091A56-540D-408D-ADBF-A892EAEB44DC.jpeg

Guilty, I did not research every thread to uncover this major disaster or go back eight months.  Why not do more research and compute what percentage of Hamlet, Hamlin usage?  That certainly would be great entertainment. 

I am confident you can find similar errors with other names if you want to research my 18 years of posts.  

A better solution may be to ignore my posts and you will be saved from the wrong name phobia that you suffer.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1