What are we waiting on

TheReal_jayD

27 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

It took a while for the bowen hire as well. Seth sense of urgency is about like his clock management. 

Ha. Good one.  I am concerned this will bite us in the ass.  SL does realize that he will not have a job if he duplicates another season like this past year, yeah?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

A piece of advice I received once but haven't forgotten, came from a college coach who said "when things aren't going well, you better give them something to talk about, if not, they're going to talk about you."  We were talking in the context of an administrator who had gone silent for a while and it was amazing how much was starting to come out about their perceived lack of leadership, ability, etc.  

A great example would be UT firing Herman at Noon and announcing Sark at 4pm (I'm not sure of the times but you get the gist).  People were talking about Herman for a few hours and then it was all about Sark and the rumored staff he's putting together, how great he is at time-management right now and getting the job done etc...

Maybe a short interview with SL about letting Bowen go, the defense last year, and the direction he's looking to go with the defense, or what he's looking for in a new DC and a timeline for making a decision (the old "we're not going to rush it, we're going to take our time, and thoroughly evaluate potential candidates to make sure we get it right" line) would have gone a long way - sell the vision.  The longer it drags on, the less confidence there seems to be in the hire and I hope that doesn't follow them into the season.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3

3 hours ago, Sig381 said:

The hire will be very underwhelming at this point. I don’t see this thing turning around with this hire 

The longer this goes on, the more I also have this sinking feeling. Hoping for the best though. 

Edited by Moobs
  • Upvote 2

On 1/8/2021 at 3:06 PM, greenminer said:

I think there is a huge coaching convention around the title game every year.  Maybe I'm wrong. I can't tell if you're being sincere or something else.

I'm being sincere in that most coaches who are on staff with a national championship team (or almost national champion) are not going to be interested in an assistant position in what is perceived as a loser program.

I have always said (and will always say) that we need to be the stepping stone on the "new guys" journey upwards. 

QUIT HIRING FROM THE OLD BUDDY SYSTEM. DO YOUR HOMEWORK/RESEARCH AND GET THE NEXT GREAT POSITION COACH ON HIS WAY UP!

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

Dickey had stealth player recruiting and waited till whats left to go after.

SL has stealth coach recruiting and waits till whats left to go after.  

We all have our quirks I suppose. Bold strategy. Let's see how it pays off. 

image.png.3c2ee4441c0d4ee5e7dc6c6d1525201e.png

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

41 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We have no idea who is being targeted, circumstances involved, etc.  SL understands the importance of this hire, and none of us know what is going on at this time

Sure we know what is going on.... Littrell is trying to land the best DC he can find for the money he has available. The problem is that Seth has not addressed the characteristics he is looking for in our next DC, and patience is in short supply around this board. When there is no official information from the athletic department, people tend to fear the worst...

The Waterboy - Coach on Make a GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

For all we know, the coach may have already been hired or in contract negotiations. 

As long as he is here for spring training, what is the hurry? 

One possibility is that he could help with the remaining recruiting openings, but I doubt that is much of a motivation.  If that was a priority, NT would already have a new DC.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

For all we know, the coach may have already been hired or in contract negotiations. 

As long as he is here for spring training, what is the hurry? 

One possibility is that he could help with the remaining recruiting openings, but I doubt that is much of a motivation.  If that was a priority, NT would already have a new DC.

We still have 7 spots open for recruiting and players are flying off the board... thats the hurry. Some teams have hired on brand new staffs... we can't fill one position in a timely manner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1