What happened to our walk-on program?

Harry

Guys like Chris Hurd, Sarge and many others used to be big pieces of the defense.  What has happened to the UNT walk on program?  We need to bring it back.  It gives us an ad stage over TCU and SMU because our tuition is less.

• Harry changed the title to What happened to our walk-on program?

I think we are recruiting better also and don’t need to use as many walk on players. If you get recruiting right, you don’t need as many walk ons. That being said, walk ons Pirtle, Booker-Brown, Howell, Mooney, Rodriguez, and Burns were in the two-deep at various times. Honestly I am looking forward to when we have the depth to not need a walk on to play significant minutes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 6:00 PM, GrayEagle said:

We get a few occasionally but the talent on this team is nearly all 3* or near 3* so most any that wanted to walk-on would be for the scout team.  Most of the non-scholarships are transfers from lower classifications.

Squad limits are 105 which only 85 can be scholarship players.  Not adjusted for all the coronavirus special rules currently in effect.   

So there are always so called walk-ons. 

If you are referring to true walk ons, ones that are not recruited; I doubt there are many anymore.  They go through the motions asking the student body if anyone would like to walk on, but don't expect any Rudy type players to make the team. 

Just about any player who gets a D1 fbs scholarship is rated a 3 star.  Although, NT did have a late signee with only 2 stars. probably because 247 didn't bother to raise it to 3.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

.Future Mean Green mom here!  My son is transferring to UNT this fall and plans to try for a walk on.  He was a scholarship player (recruited from high school) for a national champ D2 program and decided to leave after his sophmore year after a complete coaching change. Junior year was a D3 program that just didn't fit.  Long story short, he just wants to play or at least make the scout team.  Y'all seem to have a good pulse on this program and was interested in your thoughts and/or any advice/information.  He is a QB.  Thanks in advance 🙂

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, MomLovesFootball said:

.Future Mean Green mom here!  My son is transferring to UNT this fall and plans to try for a walk on.  He was a scholarship player (recruited from high school) for a national champ D2 program and decided to leave after his sophmore year after a complete coaching change. Junior year was a D3 program that just didn't fit.  Long story short, he just wants to play or at least make the scout team.  Y'all seem to have a good pulse on this program and was interested in your thoughts and/or any advice/information.  He is a QB.  Thanks in advance 🙂

We have a pretty full QB room, Austin Aune (returning starter), Jace Ruder (transfer with 4 years left from NC), Kason Martin (3rd String but has played sparingly), Armani Gilmore (transfer Kentucky), Bryce Drummond (Pioneer Womans son), and Will Kuhene. All of our QBs are Freshman or Sophomores. I'm not trying to discourage him, but just wanted to give you the information.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MomLovesFootball said:

Welcome to the Mean Green family!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

23 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

We have a pretty full QB room, Austin Aune (returning starter), Jace Ruder (transfer with 4 years left from NC), Kason Martin (3rd String but has played sparingly), Armani Gilmore (transfer Kentucky), Bryce Drummond (Pioneer Womans son), and Will Kuhene. All of our QBs are Freshman or Sophomores. I'm not trying to discourage him, but just wanted to give you the information.

If he can contribute, welcome aboard. Hope he pushes for playing time 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

How many reps can a walk-on look forward to getting, throwing the ball to the #1 WRs?

Basically zero.  He may throw some stuff to them during warmups or drills, but as far as actual reps during a team activity, scrimmage, or 7 on 7 a walk-on would never really be the one throwing to the starting wideouts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

Thank you for the information, I know it is a long shot. He wants to be a college coach and plans to attend grad school too, as a player or grad assistant at UNT if that is possible.

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, MomLovesFootball said:

Thank you for the information, I know it is a long shot. He wants to be a college coach and plans to attend grad school too, as a player or grad assistant at UNT if that is possible.

Is he willing to participate on special teams?  If he can deep snap or has good hands he might be able to find a spot on special teams.  Wish him and your family the best!  GMG

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Is he willing to participate on special teams?  If he can deep snap or has good hands he might be able to find a spot on special teams.  Wish him and your family the best!  GMG

Good idea - I will pass the info to him about special teams.  Thank you for the idea and kind wishes!  

• Upvote 3

On 3/29/2021 at 6:00 PM, GrayEagle said:

We get a few occasionally but the talent on this team is nearly all 3* or near 3* so most any that wanted to walk-on would be for the scout team.  Most of the non-scholarships are transfers from lower classifications.

I want to walk on as a LB in the spring and I have decent size, are there a lot of LBs or edge players? I’m 6’4 220 and I just graduated HS

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

28 minutes ago, BrandonW said:

I want to walk on as a LB in the spring and I have decent size, are there a lot of LBs or edge players? I’m 6’4 220 and I just graduated HS

Seriously, BrandonW, no one except a UNT coach can discuss your interest in the Mean Green per the NCAA recruiting rules.
••• Then FBS D1 schools have dead recruiting periods when not even any college coach from said school can talk to one interested.

Maybe a couple of GoMeanGeen recruiting experts can guide you with your next step?

❇️🦅❇️GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1