DRC: Five burning questions for UNT heading into the offseason

Brett Vito

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am still befuddled (thought this sounded good) on why Seth cannot attract a higher level QB through the portal or recruiting. He has shown that his offensive system can put up numbers and also a willingness to leave the QB in to be able to put up good numbers. Surprised we can't get a top talent FCS player, a good P5 who plays behind a "star", or another G5 who is at a school where they don't pass enough. 

I think you need to win?

• Upvote 1

My shot of penicillin for them burning.. I mean here are my predictions for the questions.

1. Who takes over at defensive coordinator?

My prediction it is announced this week. And Target A is still the guy.

2. Does it matter who is running the show on defense?

I think they will be much improved next year. New DC and at least 5 Juco/Transfers coming in to help

3. Will UNT switch to a 4-3 on defense?

I Believe they will stay 3-3-5. But 4 man fronts on occasion

4. Who emerges to replace Jaelon Darden?

Bryson Jackson is my choice

5. How will UNT’s quarterback situation unfold?

My Guess is if season started tomorrow Aune starts. Bean comes in by half time

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My shot of penicillin for them burning.. I mean here are my predictions for the questions.

1. Who takes over at defensive coordinator?

My prediction it is announced this week. And Target A is still the guy.

2. Does it matter who is running the show on defense?

I think they will be much improved next year. New DC and at least 5 Juco/Transfers coming in to help

5. How will UNT’s quarterback situation unfold?

My Guess is if season started tomorrow Aune starts. Bean comes in by half time

Gave Me Chills GIFs | Tenor

40 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am still befuddled (thought this sounded good) on why Seth cannot attract a higher level QB through the portal or recruiting. He has shown that his offensive system can put up numbers and also a willingness to leave the QB in to be able to put up good numbers. Surprised we can't get a top talent FCS player, a good P5 who plays behind a "star", or another G5 who is at a school where they don't pass enough. 

I don’t know that we have really tried all that hard to hit the transfer portal for QBs.

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t know that we have really tried all that hard to hit the transfer portal for QBs.

THIS. We had Mason for 4 years. Now I feel they are confident with the room now. I believe it the right guy became available they would jump on it. But not just bring in a dude on same level of what we got

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I admit I have seen nothing that makes me disagree. Part of me admires Seth's confidence/arrogance when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. However that admiration it quickly offset by the cluster $*%& that has taken place on the defensives side of the ball and the fact that it has not seems that developing O and D lines has been near the top of his priorities. As a fan who will stick by UNT regardless (not saying I won't complain) I hope he turns it around.

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe the answer to this is that SL believes he has the QB's already on the roster that he can win with and that there are other positions/needs that are more important than QB.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I thought we were 3-fronting because it was the scheme of SL's first DC.  Now, it's looking more and more like we are 3-front because Seth really likes it?  I like what it presents in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work.

I'm still thinking Jyaire (sp?) Shorter is gonna explode.  A poor-man's Megatron.

a couple of my own thoughts

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:29 PM, greenminer said:

I thought we were 3-fronting because it was the scheme of SL's first DC.  Now, it's looking more and more like we are 3-front because Seth really likes it?  I like what it presents in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work.

When Seth was first hired at NT, he wanted a 3-3-5, because he said it gave him fits as an OC.  When he hired Coach Ek as DC, Ek had no experience with a 3-3-5, so they brought in Coach Reffett as co-DC because of his background with a 3-3-5 defense.  So, no, it had nothing to do with Ek's scheme and everything to do with what SL wanted from his defense.

• Upvote 4

On 1/6/2021 at 5:03 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Maybe because he does not believe any of the types you mention are better than what he already has.  

QB is not a big issue, just about the whole defense is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Before you jump on the new qb from Ok who might be a good cook I will remind you what was said about Mason Fine when first got here.  It wasn't that good and when we adopted players I pick him on page 3 of adopted players in his second year.  

Maybe he will redshirt the first year and be ready the following year.  I will wait until I pass judgement on him as The QB of the future but I have hope for him to be the guy.