DRC: Five burning questions for UNT heading into the offseason

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Do we know our out of conference schedule for 2021?

Northwestern State Demons Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 4

Northwestern State

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

SMU Mustangs Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 11

at  SMU

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Missouri Tigers Football Schedule

SATURDAY, OCT 9

at  Missouri

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Liberty Flames Football Schedule

SATURDAY, OCT 23

Liberty

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2021/team/north-texas

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Northwestern State Demons Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 4

Northwestern State

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

SMU Mustangs Football Schedule

SATURDAY, SEP 11

at  SMU

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Missouri Tigers Football Schedule

SATURDAY, OCT 9

at  Missouri

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

Liberty Flames Football Schedule

SATURDAY, OCT 23

Liberty

Time TBA ET | TV TBA

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2021/team/north-texas

Looking forward to starting the season off 1-3

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yeah, I keep hearing Gilmore is not the guy. There's a reason Kentucky put a receiver in at QB before him. 

26 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

Word on the street is he is not the player we were hoping he would be. 

Brune and Mitchell said he looked pretty good in practices and they think he’ll be around as good as them. I don’t think that Kentucky argument is a good enough evaluation on him. He was a redshirting true freshman and they went with getting the ball in the hands of a legit NFL talent. I don’t care if he wasn’t good enough to be an SEC QB as a true freshman. Two years of developing, can he be an adequate CUSA QB? 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Brune and Mitchell said he looked pretty good in practices and they think he’ll be around as good as them. I don’t think that Kentucky argument is a good enough evaluation on him. He was a redshirting true freshman and they went with getting the ball in the hands of a legit NFL talent. I don’t care if he wasn’t good enough to be an SEC QB as a true freshman. Two years of developing, can he be an adequate CUSA QB? 

I have heard from sources that this isn't true.  Guess time will tell.   Who is the NFL talent that he was stuck behind?

Don't get me wrong.  I hope they are all great, including Gilmore.  Just passing along what I have heard.

Edited by UNTLifer

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have heard from sources that this isn't true.  Guess time will tell.   Who is the NFL talent that he was stuck behind?

Don't get me wrong.  I hope they are all great, including Gilmore.  Just passing along what I have heard.

Who is your source? 

The NFL talent was Lynn Bowden. They were 6-2 with him at QB running for 171 yards/game, so it wasn’t like any QB with a pulse should’ve been playing over him.

I don’t expect Gilmore to come in and win it, but I would think he would be good enough to at least nudge his nose into the race, more than Martin. If not, no worries as I think Drummond is our guy long term anyways.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Who is your source? 

The NFL talent was Lynn Bowden. They were 6-2 with him at QB running for 171 yards/game, so it wasn’t like any QB with a pulse should’ve been playing over him.

I don’t expect Gilmore to come in and win it, but I would think he would be good enough to at least nudge his nose into the race, more than Martin. If not, no worries as I think Drummond is our guy long term anyways.

I’m hearing Gilmore is kinda josh greer-ish 🥴

• RV 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Who is your source? 

Not in a position to reveal as I was told this in confidence.

Lynn Bowden threw like 70 passes that year and was a converted wide receiver.  He did play QB in high school but was listed as an Athlete by recruiting services.  When you are highly touted, a converted WR should not be jumping in front of you.  Look, I hope he breaks every record at North Texas, but I will be surprised if that happens.

If Drummond starts before his RS Soph year I will be shocked.  No knock on the young man, but I just think it is a huge jump from Pawhuska to D1.  I also think the our history with Fine has people thinking this will be a common occurence.  

I don't care who starts as long as it is the best person for the job and they were all given a fair shake.  I just want to win.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not in a position to reveal as I was told this in confidence.

Lynn Bowden threw like 70 passes that year and was a converted wide receiver.  He did play QB in high school but was listed in as an Athlete by recruiting services.  When you are highly touted, a converted WR should not be jumping in front of you.  Look, I hope he breaks every record at North Texas, but I will be surprised if that happens.

If Drummond starts before his RS Soph year I will be shocked.  No knock on the young man, but I just think it is a huge jump from Pawhuska to D1.  I also think the our history with Fine has people thinking this will be a common occurence.  

I’m sorry man, it was a joke. I know you’re not supposed to give sources, but you like to ask other people so I was just poking a little light-hearted fun.

Yeah I’m fine with Aune and Bean for another year, then if they still are completing 55% of their passes, give Drummond a chance. Also fine with Drummond taking over when he’s a redshirt junior. Anything Gilmore gives us is just a bonus IMO, but I don’t expect him to be completely hapless. Guess it looks like he might be, but at least we’re not too reliant in him.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m sorry man, it was a joke. I know you’re not supposed to give sources, but you like to ask other people so I was just poking a little light-hearted fun.

Yeah I’m fine with Aune and Bean for another year, then if they still are completing 55% of their passes, give Drummond a chance. Also fine with Drummond taking over when he’s a redshirt junior. Anything Gilmore gives us is just a bonus IMO, but I don’t expect him to be completely hapless. Guess it looks like he might be, but at least we’re not too reliant in him.

I am still befuddled (thought this sounded good) on why Seth cannot attract a higher level QB through the portal or recruiting. He has shown that his offensive system can put up numbers and also a willingness to leave the QB in to be able to put up good numbers. Surprised we can't get a top talent FCS player, a good P5 who plays behind a "star", or another G5 who is at a school where they don't pass enough. 

• Upvote 4