Other Coaching Changes?

El Paso Eagle

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We should start hearing soon if we are going to lose any other coaches (not retained or hired away)

Not going to lie, I worry each day I will see that someone hired Bloesch away

I also wonder with the success on the RBs how long before a larger program goes after Cobbs

Hopefully Cobbs stays at NT due to his history with us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

No, not until we get an Offensive Coordinator first, and then let that OC help select his QB coach.

OC is a full-time job and consumes an awful lot of effort to be done properly. Seth needs to be paid as an offensive coordinator if he wants to perform that job himself. Seth needs to be constantly working with all aspects of the team as the head coach, forming gameplans and in-game adjustments for offense, defense, and special teams.

No more postgame speeches of "we, as coaches, just need to do better". Light some fires under people's tails and get them to "do better" during the actual games. Maybe he won't have to fire so many coaches every offseason if he influenced and inspired them a little more during the season.

If Seth hires an OC he would be oc-qb coach. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Doesn't Bloesch have the OC title?   Its not like we don't have an OC.  

Another thread makes it sound like Wallis is going to be back at QBs.   Littrell will likely keep playcalling duties.

The DC hire is going to be critical.

We just need someone that can develop QBs. Seth probably can’t because he wasn’t one, and Quinn is a GA. It’s a necessity, after the DC, that we get someone or Bryce won’t pan out as what we want. Mason had Graham who is a hell of a QB coach and OC, I would hope Seth wants to set the others up for success

Littrell is going to call the plays, so hiring an OC would be in name only.  As was mentioned above, Bloesch is the Co-OC/OL Coach and Mainord is also listed as a Co-OC.  I would say they and SL worked well together, but this is SL's offense, period.  Now, we do need someone to work specifically with the QB's.  I don't see Tate Wallis returning to North Texas.  If he is innocent, then he should be given a second chance, but I don't know if that is here.

Regarding the QB's, here is my concern.  Keep in mind, I am not in the room, in meetings or at practice.  This is just an observation from hundreds of miles away.  SL seems to get set on one or two QB's and doesn't look at the entire room.  

Bean: SL seems intrigued by the potential and the athletic ability, but at some point you have to make the hard decision.  Stick with him, or move on.  Bean didn't even start his senior year or HS.  I don't know the reason why, but that was a huge red flag to me.  After watching him this year, he appears to lock in on his intended target and not check down well.  There were a number of passes in the bowl game that were incomplete due to the receiver being covered yet others were wide open.  He appears disengaged on the sideline as well.  I really want him to succeed because of his running ability, but I am not sure that offsets his deficiencies in the passing game.

Aune: Throws a pretty ball and tends to get more receivers involved but does underthrow his intended target quite a bit.  Being quite a bit older than his teammates, his maturity is obvious but I wonder how connected he is with the other players off the field considering he is married.  Not sure if he has children yet, but that is a huge commitment as well.

Martin/Kuehne: Both of these young men had great HS careers, but for some reason, it appears SL isn't going to give them a chance.  Martin led his team to within inches of a state title in one of the best games I have ever seen.  People will say that he was surrounded by great talent, but someone has to get those young men the ball.  He also exhibited great leadership with his speech after that game.  Some people appear turned off by his personality, but I like it and think it draws his teammates to him.  I have no idea how he performs in practice, but there has to be a reason he hasn't really been given a shot.  Is it the personality that appears to be polar opposite of SL?  Don't know.

Kuehne went to OK to complete his HS career and led he team to their first state title in years during his junior year.  From what I can tell, that team was loaded with talent but he led them to wins over perenial OK powers, Jenks and Union, on their way to the state championship.  The team lost a lot after that year, yet he led them to a solid season his senior year.  His coach, former Tulsa HC Bill Blankenship, raved about his work ethic and leadership and thought he would be a great college QB.  He is obviously a smart young man, as he had a number of Ivy League offers, but he works hard and is willing to do whatever to help the team as evidence by his special teams play.  Will he get a shot?  I don't know, but he is interesting to me.

Gilmore:  Kentucky transfer that was highly rated out of a small LA HS.  I know very little about him other than what I have seen on film.  My take is that he was the QB of his HS team because he was their best player.  He appears to be the least polished of the group as far as playing QB and may be better suited for another position.  Really have no idea on him.

Incoming:

Drummond: Has the physical tools, but like Fine, he played in a tiny classification in OK.  Comes from a good family and is not afraid of working hard based on growing up on a working ranch.  I think too many are expecting the second coming of Mason Fine only in a bigger body and I think that is setting Drummond up to fail.  My expectation is that it will take him time to adjust to D1 college ball coming from Pawhuska, OK and he will be redshirted next year.  After that, I really  don't expect him to be ready until at least his Soph or Jr. year.  If he is starting prior to that, then he is really, really good or our QB room isn't as deep as I think it is.

Back on topic, based on all of the above, we need a dedicated QB Coach that can work daily with all of these young men, who SL trusts and who can push them to turn their potential into reality.  I have no idea who that is, but that is my take.  Take it or leave it.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Littrell is going to call the plays, so hiring an OC would be in name only.  As was mentioned above, Bloesch is the OC/OL Coach.  I would say he and SL worked well together.  Now, we do need someone to work specifically with the QB's.  I don't see Tate Wallis returning to North Texas.  If he is innocent, then he should be given a second chance, but I don't know if that is here.

Regarding the QB's, here is my concern.  Keep in mind, I am not in the room, in meetings or at practice.  This is just an observation from hundreds of miles away.  SL seems to get set on one or two QB's and doesn't look at the entire room.  

Bean: SL seems intrigued by the potential and the athletic ability, but at some point you have to make the hard decision.  Stick with him, or move on.  Bean didn't even start his senior year or HS.  I don't know the reason why, but that was a huge red flag to me.  After watching him this year, he appears to lock in on his intended target and not check down well.  There were a number of passes in the bowl game that were incomplete due to the receiver being covered yet others were wide open.  He appears disengaged on the sideline as well.  I really want him to succeed because of his running ability, but I am not sure that offsets his deficiencies in the passing game.

Aune: Throws a pretty ball and tends to get more receivers involved but does underthrow his intended target quite a bit.  Being quite a bit older than his teammates, his maturity is obvious but I wonder how connected he is with the other players off the field considering he is married.  Not sure if he has children yet, but that is a huge commitment as well.

Martin/Kuehne: Both of these young men had great HS careers, but for some reason, it appears SL isn't going to give them a chance.  Martin led his team to within inches of a state title in one of the best games I have ever seen.  People will say that he was surrounded by great talent, but someone has to get those young men the ball.  He also exhibited great leadership with his speech after that game.  Some people appear turned off by his personality, but I like it and think it draws his teammates to him.  I have no idea how he performs in practice, but there has to be a reason he hasn't really been given a shot.  Is it the personality that appears to be polar opposite of SL?  Don't know.

Kuehne went to OK to complete his HS career and led he team to their first state title in years during his junior year.  From what I can tell, that team was loaded with talent but he led them to wins over perenial OK powers, Jenks and Union, on their way to the state championship.  The team lost a lot after that year, yet he led them to a solid season his senior year.  His coach, former Tulsa HC Bill Blankenship, raved about his work ethic and leadership and thought he would be a great college QB.  He is obviously a smart young man, as he had a number of Ivy League offers, but he works hard and is willing to do whatever to help the team as evidence by his special teams play.  Will he get a shot?  I don't know, but he is interesting to me.

Gilmore:  Kentucky transfer that was highly rated out of a small LA HS.  I know very little about him other than what I have seen on film.  My take is that he was the QB of his HS team because he was their best player.  He appears to be the least polished of the group as far as playing QB and may be better suited for another position.  Really have no idea on him.

Incoming:

Drummond: Has the physical tools, but like Fine, he played in a tiny classification in OK.  Comes from a good family and is not afraid of working hard based on growing up on a working ranch.  I think too many are expecting the second coming of Mason Fine only in a bigger body and I think that is setting Drummond up to fail.  My expectation is that it will take him time to adjust to D1 college ball coming from Pawhuska, OK and he will be redshirted next year.  After that, I really  don't expect him to be ready until at least his Soph or Jr. year.  If he is starting prior to that, then he is really, really good or our QB room isn't as deep as I think it is.

Back on topic, based on all of the above, we need a dedicated QB Coach that can work daily with all of these young men, who SL trusts and who can push them to turn their potential into reality.  I have no idea who that is, but that is my take.  Take it or leave it.

I 100% agree on your overall point. It seems Seth or whoever turn away from others getting chances and roll with Aune/Bean, and then when one of them has a bad series or 2, they get pulled. Something has to change, and it’s hiring a QB coach that knows what he’s doing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Littrell is going to call the plays, so hiring an OC would be in name only.  As was mentioned above, Bloesch is the Co-OC/OL Coach and Mainord is also listed as a Co-OC.  I would say they and SL worked well together, but this is SL's offense, period.  Now, we do need someone to work specifically with the QB's.  I don't see Tate Wallis returning to North Texas.  If he is innocent, then he should be given a second chance, but I don't know if that is here.

Incoming:

Great summary of the current situation @UNTLifer

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Pass. Y’all remember his QBs? Whew. Tough scenes. 

I’ve never seen a coach get as much love as Chico. Dude won 1 game and let a grown man in tights run on the field with the team. 

Let. It. Go. 

Maybe we should lock the gate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Baylor parts ways with Ryan Pugh one day after hiring him

By SAM MARSDALE12 hrs

One day after Baylor hired former Troy offensive coordinator Ryan Pugh to coach its offensive line, head coach Dave Aranda announced that Pugh would not join the staff. The reason for the decision is unclear.

“Since the recent announcement of Ryan Pugh as Baylor’s OL coach, we have decided to move in a different direction,” Aranda said in a statement. “We are currently in the process of filling the resulting vacancy. We wish Ryan the best in his future endeavors.”

Pugh came from Troy, where he was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for two seasons from 2019-20. He worked under recently hired Bears offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes previously at BYU as the Cougars offensive line coach and as a graduate assistant at Auburn Virginia Tech, and LSU. Grimes brought Pugh with him to BYU when he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the Cougars as his first offensive line coach. After Pugh's lone year in Provo, he got his shot at calling the plays at Troy for two seasons.

"Ryan is an up-and-coming coach," Aranda said in a statement released yesterday. "He's a family man and he is a leader. Ryan has great football intelligence and great communication skills. More than that, I am impressed with the quality of person that he is. I also have a great appreciation for the way that he has been able to inspire his players, and build strong, cohesive and aggressive offensive lines. We are excited for Ryan to join us."

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

At Troy, Pugh ran a group that topped the 500-yard mark in total offense 7 different times and scored more than 35-points 12 times. The 2019 season the Trojans finish 9th nationally in passing offense and 25th in scoring offense. Under Pugh's guidance, Troy had 10 All-Sun Belt honorees on offense including five offensive linemen. Pugh also had a stop at UTSA (2016-17) as the offensive line coach. Pugh started his career with stints as a graduate assistant at Auburn (2012), Virginia Tech (2013), Cincinnati (2014) and LSU (2015).

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

Baylor parts ways with Ryan Pugh one day after hiring him

By SAM MARSDALE12 hrs

One day after Baylor hired former Troy offensive coordinator Ryan Pugh to coach its offensive line, head coach Dave Aranda announced that Pugh would not join the staff. The reason for the decision is unclear.

“Since the recent announcement of Ryan Pugh as Baylor’s OL coach, we have decided to move in a different direction,” Aranda said in a statement. “We are currently in the process of filling the resulting vacancy. We wish Ryan the best in his future endeavors.”

Pugh came from Troy, where he was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for two seasons from 2019-20. He worked under recently hired Bears offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes previously at BYU as the Cougars offensive line coach and as a graduate assistant at Auburn Virginia Tech, and LSU. Grimes brought Pugh with him to BYU when he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the Cougars as his first offensive line coach. After Pugh's lone year in Provo, he got his shot at calling the plays at Troy for two seasons.

"Ryan is an up-and-coming coach," Aranda said in a statement released yesterday. "He's a family man and he is a leader. Ryan has great football intelligence and great communication skills. More than that, I am impressed with the quality of person that he is. I also have a great appreciation for the way that he has been able to inspire his players, and build strong, cohesive and aggressive offensive lines. We are excited for Ryan to join us."

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

At Troy, Pugh ran a group that topped the 500-yard mark in total offense 7 different times and scored more than 35-points 12 times. The 2019 season the Trojans finish 9th nationally in passing offense and 25th in scoring offense. Under Pugh's guidance, Troy had 10 All-Sun Belt honorees on offense including five offensive linemen. Pugh also had a stop at UTSA (2016-17) as the offensive line coach. Pugh started his career with stints as a graduate assistant at Auburn (2012), Virginia Tech (2013), Cincinnati (2014) and LSU (2015).

Wow that's not good for Aranda at all.  Baylor has to play clean after rapegate.

Edited by meangreen11