‘21 K Aaron Beckham - Van Alstyne

97and03

I met up with a friend of mine from Van Alstyne today.  My friend’s son played ball with Aaron.

I told my friend that Aaron committed to North Texas as a kicker.

My friend said Aaron was a terrific kicker and would hit 60 yard FG’s in practice all the time! My friend said North Texas got a real good kicker!

That is good enough for me!

• Upvote 5

I hate to badmouth any of our players, but our kicking game lacked this year.  I was also not a fan of our punting as well.  That could be due to the "soccer/rugby" style he seemed to use every time.  I prefer the traditional punting style, and have probably been spoiled over the years by our run of great punters.

• Upvote 4

On 1/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, UNTLifer said:

I hate to badmouth any of our players, but our kicking game lacked this year.  I was also not a fan of our punting as well.  That could be due to the "soccer/rugby" style he seemed to use every time.  I prefer the traditional punting style, and have probably been spoiled over the years by our run of great punters.

Are you badmouthing our players or simply stating the truth? It was the worst in recent years but I feel like Mooney got into his own head last year and will shake it off and come back better and focused.

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2021 at 3:19 PM, UNTLifer said:

The actual net punting yards in 2020 were higher than 2019 and 2018 (I know that doesnt take into account where we are at on the field when we punt and where they start).

FGs are where we fell apart.

• 2020 53%  (8-15)
  • 2019 80%   (16-20)
  • 2018 86%   (19-22)

On 1/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, UNTLifer said:

The rugby style has it's pros and cons. Low and unpredictable but more often than not gives a favorable bounce that the returner does not want to field so it can give you much more yardage if hit correctly. Traditional punting style gives plenty of hang time and with a good punter, usually leads a fair catch in the right situation. The problem with our punting this year was that it was WAY too unpredictable and did not gain the net yards desired of a rugby punt because it was either mis-hit for a short kick or kicked out of bounds.  We've also been spoiled with good kickers over the years so seeing Mooney not be virtually automatic, hurt. 

It is not badmouthing when it is the truth. The truth is, our special teams let us down in every facet of the game last year from punting, kicking, to even fielding punts or kicks.  

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...