This team is not better than last year’s

emmitt01

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Maybe not but this is pretty much how we looked offensively on the road in non-conference play last year as well.

We looked so much better towards the end of last years OOC. I just don’t have the same hope I had last year, this year going into conference.

Luckily the conference seems to be not as strong.

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

We looked so much better towards the end of last years OOC. I just don’t have the same hope I had last year, this year going into conference.

Yeah but, like you said, that was more towards the end and we didn’t look all that great in our first 8, which is how many we’ve played this time. I would be surprised if we were as good this year as we were last year, but not shocked. Hamlet isn’t playing anywhere near as well as he did towards the end of non-conference and in conference play. We get that guy back and we should be good.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The offense is pedestrian and grinding and the play is sloppy.  If the three isn’t there, the ball stops and there are WAY too many stretches in every game against decent competition where we just go to sleep.

That's what frustrates me about this team. Exactly like the Mavs, overly reliant on the 3 ball. If the 3 ball isn't going down, they don't do anything but keep chucking up 3s trying to shoot out of a rut, even if they are ice cold. No offensive creativity, no driving to the hoop, just the 3. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

That's what frustrates me about this team. Exactly like the Mavs, overly reliant on the 3 ball. If the 3 ball isn't going down, they don't do anything but keep chucking up 3s trying to shoot out of a rut, even if they are ice cold. No offensive creativity, no driving to the hoop, just the 3. 

They have creativity, but it’s hard to exploit that against a really good defense. With the teams they are playing in conference, I would expect to see more exciting offense. Loyola will win that conference unless Drake stops them.

• Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Exactly.  When teams are being frustrated by our defense they drive to draw contact. Teams have no fear of getting in foul trouble against our “pass it around the perimeter and hope” offense.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

31 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Exactly.  When teams are being frustrated by our defense they drive to draw contact. Teams have no fear of getting in foul trouble against our “pass it around the perimeter and hope” offense.  

This. And I will concede that we have been facing some elite defenses that we will not be facing in conference play, but so far, we look too one dimensional. Also, our go to guys from last season like Hamlet and Bell do not look like they did last season which has me worried. I hope more reps will shake off the rust but they haven't shown me much early this season. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2021 at 8:37 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

NT should be much better this year. 

I think NT should have beat LoyChi, but they seldom lose at home and that Center is supposed to the best player in the MVC. 

Fact is that it is hard to get a good idea of the NT team.   They play very tough away competition and poor competition at home.   

No, NT does not look better than last year after ooc, because they had a lot more games and were not dealing with the virus at this time last year.  However, their record is about the same only last year they had a home oc loss to Eastern Michigan.  

McCasland style grates on fans about as much as it does opponents.  However, it does work and NT should be again playing for a CUSA championship. 

McCasland is the real deal, and I just hope NT can hold on to him for a long time. 

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't think we win CUSA and will be lucky to be invited to the NIT.  If they have the NIT.   We just don't have it this year,  I am thinking Hamlet must be hurt.

How do you come up with that conclusion?

Last year's team played the same type of oc schedule with about the same results.

Hamlet is playing well, he is just the focus of every defense they face.