DC Search Update

TheReal_jayD

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Can’t imagine Baker would be let go for football before having ever actually had a chance to make a hire of his own.

He could if he's unable to find a way to make that hire!   The buyout is steep.  If he can't come up with the funds for it, and waits it out, he wouldn't be a very good AD.

I think he can/will.   I'm just saying, his life isn't cushy right now.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

But I think a coach with some hc experience whether it be TXHSFB or college experience would have been beneficial. 

I co-sign this. I would have loved this with the one candidate. Experience as a head coach even if it is in HS helps you learn how to both manage and motivate the players on the roster. A coach like this would provide a boost to recruiting but more importantly they could help guide a first time HC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I just know when he is fired after next season... 

Another assumption.

I get it, SL is on the hot seat but my goodness, we are kicking him out the door before we know who his DC will be next year and before the season is even played.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Another assumption.

if we repeat last year he is gone. I hope he goes undefeated and wins conference. If he wins 7-8 games and a bowl and the overall teams shows improvement I think he stay. If he wins 2 to 4 games I don't think a snowballs chance in hell he will make it to another season. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

if we repeat last year he is gone. I hope he goes undefeated and wins conference. If he wins 7-8 games and a bowl and the overall teams shows improvement I think he stay. If he wins 2 to 4 games I don't think a snowballs chance in hell he will make it to another season. 

I agree with that 100%.  Personally, I would like to see us win 8 or 9 games and win conference.  Is that the make or break marker for me?  No, but it depends.  My expectation is that we win CUSA West and the conference, but if we don't, how we lose will mean a lot as well.  Tired of the blowouts to teams that shouldn't even come close to doing that to us.  In the words of SL, "I am ready for us to start dominating their ass!"

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don’t think so. Wasn’t his hire. Wasn’t his extension. 

sorry but how was this not his extension? I agree he did not hire, but he was the AD for the extension, if he is not the one extending his coaches, then why is he AD? Just asking?

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

good, take even the biggest critics of SL, myself inlcuded, hope he is successful, but that is a big "IF" right now after what we have seen the past 2 seasons.

Of course everyone wants for him to be successful, but given the results with all of the resources he's had up to this point, there is no indication this will be the case. I'm personally over the SL experiment because we've continually regressed dramatically every year despite having the biggest budget and biggest salary to pay coaches in the conference; by far, with really only an improvement in recruiting to show for it. Since we are stuck for one more year, I am expecting at least to win the West or he's gone because 5+ years he's had to build this program is more than enough. We really got shafted on his extension.  

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We need SL to work out.  He has built the bridges we desperately needed for so long. I don’t know for sure, but I think we lose all that and any potential momentum if he’s let go after 2021.

There is no way Wren’s seat is truly hot. Anyone saying so is just trying to throw their own matches on his chair.

Let’s get a DC and right this ship.

100% Correct. I realize people are frustrated but but please take a moment to look back at our history of AD's.

I believe Sl is building inroads with his recruiting (hopefully he does not end up being like Frank Wilson - able to recruit but crap at coaching). I am optimistically hopeful that we get a good DC. It seems he might have tried to go big at his first choice but it didn't work out. Guess what, that happens all of the time. Let's hope for his success and not his failure. 

• Upvote 3

If players are fed up, he’ll be out the door faster. We’ll probably start 1-3 assuming we beat Northwestern State, and then conference play is what matters. If he can’t get this team under control, disciplined, and mainly more developed where they know how to tackle etc, I wouldn’t be surprised, if we struggle in conference play, that he would be gone mid season.

First step is hiring a DC, and it seems he wasn’t prepared to do that and now we are 13ish days in and NOTHING!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

but given the results with all of the resources he's had up to this point, there is no indication this will be the case.

All the financial resources in the world don't matter if you're not recruiting

with really only an improvement in recruiting to show for it. 

There.  You just acknowledged what SL is improving.

...but you don't want to believe things might get better.  okay.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

All the financial resources in the world don't matter if you're not recruiting

There.  You just acknowledged what SL is improving.

You can recruit all the talent in the world but if you can't coach them up, that also won't matter. We were one of the most undisciplined teams in the country last year. Penalties, failing to field punts, blowing basic assignments. That's on coaching. 

I think the biggest factor is the guys we bring in on defense. We need guys who have had a few years in a legit strength and conditioning/legit program. We need size and speed. Womack isn't cutting it here and it shows. 

Technique can only get you so far. Our offense will always be decent just because of the scheme and skill players, but we are severely lacking in quality talent on defense.

We are 1-2 big, athletic LB/DL from really being able to produce. I love both the Davis boys, but they are too small and too slow. The twins need to add about 20 lbs to be really effective at DE and we need to be in a 4 man front. Until those things change, it's not gonna make a difference who's calling the plays.

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Possible Vs Probable my friend.

It's possible we could win out and be here in a year complaining about how we missed out on the CFP because of being a g5.

It's more probable though that we'll be here complaining about the same ol' crap again. 

I think everyone here is just seeing the writing on what is most likely going to happen. A stinker hire and a stinker year. I think we all want option A instead. But when your eating the steak at a Golden Corral it's best not to get your hopes up too high

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You can recruit all the talent in the world but if you can't coach them up, that also won't matter. We were one of the most undisciplined teams in the country last year. Penalties, failing to field punts, blowing basic assignments. That's on coaching. 

All of these are valid.  I just think it starts with the athletic aptitude a program is bringing in.  A higher caliber recruit is going to give you a higher ceiling with things like focus, speed, fundamentals, etc. A higher recruit probably equates to a stronger starting point/baseline, so even if they don't get coached up they are likely an improvement over previous recruits.

To frame this differently: Our offense was fine.  Let's get a DC in place, then see what unfolds on his side of the ball.

All of these things ultimately  funnel up to SL's responsibility.  It's on him to perform, and the uptick in recruiting suggests he is giving this program a higher performance ceiling than ever before.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

Back on topic, I would love to see us go after Jeff Koonz.  He is now at West Virginia and his salary would be workable for us.  The only hitch in this that I could find is that he is from New York state and not sure if being close to home is important to him.  He is the Special Team Coordinator and ILB Coach currently.  Salary information is in the link below.

https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/looking-at-contract-details-for-the-10-west-virginia-football-assistants

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Back on topic, I would love to see us go after Jeff Koonz.  He is now at West Virginia and his salary would be workable for us.  The only hitch in this that I could find is that he is from New York state and not sure if being close to home is important to him.  He is the Special Team Coordinator and ILB Coach currently.  Salary information is in the link below.

https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/looking-at-contract-details-for-the-10-west-virginia-football-assistants

Another problem is he has a contract that would need to be bought out.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

We need SL to work out.  He has built the bridges we desperately needed for so long. I don’t know for sure, but I think we lose all that and any potential momentum if he’s let go after 2021.

There is no way Wren’s seat is truly hot. Anyone saying so is just trying to throw their own matches on his chair.

Let’s get a DC and right this ship.

Best take I’ve seen in a good while. Thanks.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You can recruit all the talent in the world but if you can't coach them up, that also won't matter. We were one of the most undisciplined teams in the country last year. Penalties, failing to field punts, blowing basic assignments. That's on coaching

Wow it’s almost as if we had to replace a historic starting quarterback, quarterback coach, both line coaches, and all three coordinators in a year where we skipped spring practice.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2