DC Search Update

TheReal_jayD

14 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Can you share some details?

That's about what I got. I'm hoping to know more soon, but who knows what happens.

At least there is some sort of something happening that'll make this offseason more interesting lol

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

ULM hires a Bowden that has been overlooked by every other program in this damn country and RichRod who's only long term success is his nickname.  Can we at least wait and see who is hired before we burn this to the ground?  It is all speculation at best.

Bowden is 63 and still receiving buyout from Akron so he was easy to overlook and not everyone wants an old coach.  Rich Rod is 57 with some good coaching skins, especially at West Virginia.  Bowden called him because his QB son was in the transfer portal and Terry asked him if he'd like to coach his son who has two years of eligibility left.  Good timing and I believe that he is also getting paid on his buyout from Arizona.  Both coaches have more than 150 wins and ULM was able to get them for a song.  Good thing, because ULM's revenue is the smallest in the FBS and they have had one winning season since 1994.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

thank the prez!

You generally have great takes and your coordinator info is exactly spot on, but this isn’t true. Wren and boosters both pushed the extension hard.

Look I’m team Wren all the way but Wren has actively lobbied for extensions and more money across all sports (as he should) from soccer to Grant. He wants to expand budgets and this is a way to gradually do that. 

Football has been his Achilles heel so far - I don’t believe SL has accepted enough guidance from WB. That is on Wren, the department was given a much greater budget and it’s up to him to make certain its used correctly rather than wasted. With this coordinator hire Wren is finally saying use the money you have we aren’t just expanding your asst. pool $ with out results since it’s already a healthy amount for a G5. This is a welcome change in my book, but what SL does with this new normal is going to be pivotal to his coaching trajectory. He can take advice and adapt like he did with recruiting or have his time here cut short. Hoping he’s able to learn a new trick.

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, xyresic said:

You generally have great takes and your coordinator info is exactly spot on, but this isn’t true. Wren and boosters both pushed the extension hard.

Look I’m team Wren all the way but Wren has actively lobbied for extensions and more money across all sports (as he should) from soccer to Grant. He wants to expand budgets and this is a way to gradually do that. 

Football has been his Achilles heel so far - I don’t believe SL has accepted enough guidance from WB. That is on Wren, the department was given a much greater budget and it’s up to him to make certain its used correctly rather than wasted. With this coordinator hire Wren is finally saying use the money you have we aren’t just expanding your asst. pool $ with out results since it’s already a healthy amount for a G5. This is a welcome change in my book, but what SL does with this new normal is going to be pivotal to his coaching trajectory. He can take advice and adapt like he did with recruiting or have his time here cut short. Hoping he’s able to learn a new trick.

I will accept that. I was just told/under the impression prez pushed really hard for extension when K-state debacle took place. 

the most frustrating part of Seth for me is we have had the biggest budget in CUSA and he seem to not be able to figure it out. Clint Bowen was the highest paid DC in cusa. I can name about 10 dc I would have rather had in conference that made less. I just know when he is fired after next season the Narrative will be you can’t win at North Texas. And that’s just not the case. I understand first time head coaches learn on the job.. it has just taking Seth way to long to figure some stuff out. I will always say imo one of the biggest mistakes Seth has made is not hiring a formal HC on the staff.. you can take all the advice from the mark manginos bob stoops of the world. But I think a coach with some hc experience whether it be TXHSFB or college experience would have been beneficial. 

10 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don’t think so. Wasn’t his hire. Wasn’t his extension. 

Hindsight is clearly 20-20 here.   

When Littrell signed the last deal, it was EVERYONE'S extension.   There were maybe a handful of people around here who were pissed about him losing the NO Bowl & NM Bowl, but for the most part everyone was extremely nervous when Littrell flirted with KSSt. & were 99% on-board with an extension to keep the best up-and-coming HC in C-USA at North Texas... at least until the next P5 school came calling the following offseason.

Flash-forward & here we are, 2 years later (2 years without Harrell?)... the regression is STAGGERING.  I don't believe anyone saw this coming.   I understand the budget constraints wont allow to buyout now, but Wren's seat is now hot as well, so if I were him, I'd be raising funds on the side and be ready to end the suffering immediately following this upcoming season.

Littrell would be a fool to believe he's not coaching for his job this upcoming season.   I'm extremely impressed (and thankful) with how he was able to sign the class he signed in December, because these kids , and more importantly, their parents, aren't dumb.  They see the trajectory.   I'd expect a big step back in recruiting this year unless he's somehow able to turn this ship around quickly.  Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I understand the budget constraints wont allow to buyout now, but Wren's seat is now hot as well, so if I were him, I'd be raising funds on the side and be ready to end the suffering immediately following this upcoming season.

I agree with everything you said.. besides this sentence. I dont think Wren seat is hot at all. His last two hires (softball and Basketball) are winning conference championships

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I agree with everything you said.. besides this sentence. I dont think Wren seat is hot at all. His last two hires (softball and Basketball) are winning conference championships

McCasland, is helping for sure.   
But we're in Texas after all...  if you run an athletic department at a D1 school, and your football program is dragging ass, your seat can't be comfortable.

As great as ladies soccer, softball, volleyball, golf, etc... are, or can be at times, they are tertiary when considering an AD's effectiveness.   Ask RV.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

McCasland, is helping for sure.   
But we're in Texas after all...  if you run an athletic department at a D1 school, and your football program is dragging ass, your seat can't be comfortable.

As great as ladies soccer, softball, volleyball, golf, etc... are, or can be at times, they are tertiary when considering an AD's effectiveness.   Ask RV.

Agreed.. but cant really bring up RV he was only winning at soccer.. lol

• Upvote 2