DC Search Update

TheReal_jayD

8 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I believe that’s a Darrell Royal quote.

Royal popularized it, but attributes it to Hayes

LINK

Lastly, in 2005 a journalist who was interviewing Darrell Royal stated that Royal gave credit to Woody Hayes for the saying. Here is a slightly longer excerpt [DRWH]:

“The things I said came from my upbringing in southwest Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl,” Royal said. “I shined shoes in a barbershop. Now, you can hear some stuff in a barbershop. You can pick up some wisdom there. I’m just a model of the people I’ve been around in my life, and Woody was one of those people.”

Royal credits Ohio State’s Hayes, his contemporary and friend, with being the first one to say three things can happen on a pass play and two of them are bad.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

three things can happen on a pass play and two of them are bad. - Woody Hayes

I used to hear that from Dickey and it always bothered me.  The same could be said for a running play too. Good: forward progress  Bad: fumble or negative play.  

• Upvote 1

If I wanted to be a DC, UNT would be an okay choice.  If I had any self-confidence in my coaching, I think I could improve on a ranking of 125 on points per game and 127 on yards per game.  If things went south for SL, I could point out how much I had improved the defense.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle said:

Seems like the defense there wasn’t too shabby and the 13th best in 3rd down percentage sounds pretty good to me. Checks other boxes such as plenty of DC experience and as a HC as well. 

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

another one off the board 

Anyone else take note of the language in some of these announcements?

I can't help but think, why not "Former Texas analyst Everett Withers is new DC at FIU. He was interim head coach at NC in 2011"?

...(he has also been official HC at James Madison and TxSt)

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

Well anyone has to think long and hard about talking the DC job.  You are taking over one of the worse defenses in the country.  Your HC is in a win or else part of his contract.  The longer it takes to find the right guy the harder it will become to find that guy.

Thinking we might end up with someone trying to revive his career, but than an up and comer

Just now, southsideguy said:

Not sure if that is good or bad lol

Someone who is trying to redeem himself due to a personal issue is much different than someone trying to redeem due to his last job(s) failing on the field. I am still trying to hold out and hope Seth/Wren are working on something we will all be pleasantly surprised with.