DC Search Update

TheReal_jayD

On 1/6/2021 at 2:09 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

DC, and not even close. For all of my bitching, Seth has proven he can run the O, and as long as we keep the O-line coach I am not worried about that side of the ball

Has he? 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Yards? So impressive... We ain’t in the top 10 in points. That is certain. 

I'll agree with this. You can chew up yards all game long but if you can't get a TD in the red zone and keep settling for Field Goals, you aren't going to be winning much. 

• Upvote 2

I would go after Brad Lambert, although he may be considered for the Marshall head job (speculation on my part).  He is from Kansas originally and may want to move back this direction.  Led a great defense at Marshall this year.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We had the top scoring O in CUSA by almost 6 points a game. Offense is not the problem. On D we were 6 points a game worse than the next team

image.png.149c337dc795831019017ea2746b33c3.png

image.png.68b381940c9f7072e08addc755817c04.png

57 against FCS HBU. 
SMUt only 7 points in the first half. 28 when the game was already lost. 
Only 10 points in the first half against USM. 
Only 7 in the first half against Charlotte (and 21 overall). 27 point versus Rice. 17 against UTSA.  
A miraculous 17 first half points against LaTech was the only “decent” offense performance against a good team this year. We mostly scored against horrible teams or when the game was out of reach. Our we didn’t score much at all. 
I do NOT accept the theory that our offense is fine. I think we need someone else calling plays so the HC can HC. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

57 against FCS HBU. 
Only 7 in the first half against Charlotte (and 21 overall). 27 point versus Rice. 17 against UTSA.  
A miraculous 17 first half points against LaTech was the only “decent” offense performance against a good team this year. We mostly scored against horrible teams or when the game was out of reach. Our we didn’t score much at all. 
I do NOT accept the theory that our offense is fine. I think we need someone else calling plays so the HC can HC. 

This. 

30 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

57 against FCS HBU. 

I don’t think the head coach really wants to HC, calling plays and offense is all he care about 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

Would I like to see a true OC, yes. But if it comes down to putting the money behind getting a good DC and taking care of coaches like Bloesch (is is a Co-OC) and keeping Seth calling plays, then keeping Seth calling play every time.

An OC is not always the one calling plays. Dickey seems to have a very limited role in play calling and working with the QB at A&M (and yes, before you say it, I know Seth is not Jimbo). 

I think it’ll be Ruffin and I think he will do well. He checks all the boxes and we can afford him. 
Edit: after re-reading the thread, @TheReal_jayDinsinuated this particular coach had been a high school coach in Texas and not just someone who has recruited Texas HS so I have no clue. 

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-state-hires-former-ecu-football-coach-ruffin-mcneill-as-special-assistant/19178033/u

https://247sports.com/coach/Ruffin-McNeill-583/

Edited by Cr1028
I was wrong
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think it’ll be Ruffin and I think he will do well. He checks all the boxes and can also be afforded. 

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-state-hires-former-ecu-football-coach-ruffin-mcneill-as-special-assistant/19178033/u

That would be a grand slam! GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

57 against FCS HBU. 

Littrell has made a living on garbage time offense. No one runs an offense down 30 like Seth Littrell

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think it’ll be Ruffin and I think he will do well. He checks all the boxes and can also be afforded. 

I just wonder if the game has passed Ruffin by.   Players will run through a brick wall for him though.
If Stoops is interested, I think I'd roll with him first.   Of course, we don't have any idea who's even interested in this job.

2 years ago, this job would be highly coveted.   I wonder coaches are a little skittish of working on Littrell's staff right now, seeing as he's backslid the past 2 seasons.  The momentum is not favorable.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

57 against FCS HBU. 

Random thoughts

I think a lot of what happened on offense was due to going into most games knowing we had to try and outscore the other team and taking chances we probably should not have taken

Second, I do think Seth did a terrible job with adapting his plans to impact clock management on the offensive side of the ball. One of the comments you hear often is how one of the best ways to offset a weak defense is to keep them off the field as much as possible. There were many times when we snapped the ball with 10-15 seconds let on the clock when we could have waited until 2-3 seconds were left. Our D was on the field for almost 35 minutes a game in 2020 compared to a little over 25 on Offense.

Seth does seem to have an issue will adjusting to the strengths/weaknesses of his current players.